[WIP Plugin] Braking Parachutes 0.1 - modelers needed

Ever felt you needed that extra bit of braking power upon landing your plane/shuttle? Well look no further. Weatherman Aerospace Technologies brings you the first installment of Braking Parachutes to suit your every need.

I believe pictures tell tales better, so:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Now the stock way of repacking chutes always seemed a bit odd to me. I mean, if you land, sure, but if you cut a chute a few hundred meters up, you may never find it again so being able to "repack" it makes no sense. The same goes for my braking chutes, since once deployed, they'd be damaged by engine exhaust, ground tearing etc. So I decided to go for a finite amount of chutes (defaults to five, can be changed via config file) for each deployer part.

Supports action groups for both deploying and cutting parachutes.

Version history:

0.1 - initial release

Legal stuff:

Distributed under CC by license.

Original code by the awesome Kreuzung of Vanguard EVA parachutes - check it out:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25305-0-20-2-Vanguard-Technologies-EVA-parachutes-Finally-updated-%28Jun-4%29

Parachute model by CardBoardBoxProcessor.

Modeler needed. As much as I like the EVA parachute model I'm using, it's really just a placeholder. My modeling skills are lower than zero, so I really need external help on this one. Now since this doesn't inherit moduleParachute, I need a separate model for the deployer and the parachute. Right now I'm using a Linear RCS Port as a placeholder for the deployer. The parachute should be about the size of the small stock one, but look more like a drogue chute (not so solid). Contact me if you're interested.

Download link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67018454/braking_parachute_v0.1.zip

Edited by Weatherman159
Added dowload link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any news on this? I've got a few places where I'd like to use it, but I need to know if it'll be supported in the later versions of KSP.

Any news on this? I've got a few places where I'd like to use it, but I need to know if it'll be supported in the later versions of KSP.

Well, since I primarily made this for my personal use, and I'll still need it, yes. It still won't have its' own models unless someone makes them though.

• 2 weeks later...
maybe I could, but I've never modelled a parachute before, but it all I need to do is made a solid model (not like one with animated cloth physics) then I think I can do that

That's really all that is needed here. The stock parachutes don't have any physics like that either. Hell, they don't even have colliders (hence the phasing of parachutes through each other). Just a simple, round parachute model is all I need.

EDIT: Well, that and a new model for the deployer so it doesn't use the RCS port one, but that doesn't need to be terribly complicated either.

Edited by Weatherman159

So this "deployer" is just the parachute storage box right? And btw i'm already working on the chute itself

Exactly that. A box the parachutes are deployed from. Also, thanks. I was starting to think nobody would step up and I'd have to learn to model myself :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does this work in 0.22? Does anyone use it, for that matter?

Also, could you talk to BobCat about the models? He could really use a plugin like this for Buran, and probably could provide an excellent model.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.