The supplementary SStO thread [FAR]

RealHogweed

Hi guys! this thread will be about SStO designs that works with Ferram Aerospace.

So to all you awesome engineers that use FAR, dump here your photos!

If you are interested in the general SStO thread follow the link below

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33312-Showcase-SSTO-s!-Post-your-pictures-here

In that thread you will find some absolutely jaw dropping designs :0.0: so answer this question: do you think it's possible to build an SStO (or even a plane) that works with FAR and that has the same "wow factor"? let me know :)

i'll begin with this dull design of mine

KOWJOMW.png

Oh, that is using FAR and Pizza and Aerospace mods. It also has a KAS point. Fly's quite well. I could knock 1 landing gear off, and 1 generator and reduce the batter size. Probably get away with 1 less set of mini air intakes you see in the back, they give such a tiny boost, but those extra meters altitude count.. If I wanted to really fly on fumes I could lose the 2nd set of liquid fuel tanks. I could possibly make the wings smaller too.

Meet Lucchini.This are pictures of the early version.

BhK2k5c.jpg

JT8LydA.jpg

gZ6zsCj.png

kWcKIyG.png

Well, the real Lucchini seems to li-

RI1kTWi.jpg

Don't give me that look.What's wrong with the spaceplane?Stop staring into my soul, damn it.

Yes, i do have FAR.

goQbKrL.png

Edited by SoldierHair

Meet Lucchini.This are pictures of the early version.

i never thought of using the b9 lateral tanks that way. too bad it can't have passengers or payload (maybe you can accomodate two small satellites on the sides of the sabre..?). i also suppose you clipped inside the air intakes, right?

good job anyway! i hope you'll use procedural wings in the next version, stock looks a bit strange with that fuselage IMO :)

I made a nice SSTO plane. unsure if it works with far since I don't use it. I really don't want another thing clogging the physics engine. though if it doesn't please correct me.

i think you shoult give it a try, once you get the gist of it FAR is game changing (i've never had problems with it slowing down the physics also). maybe you could duplicate your KSP folder and install ferram there so it won't interfere with your current game.

on a last note, if you designed your SStO in the default game it probably won't work with ferram :(

i never thought of using the b9 lateral tanks that way. too bad it can't have passengers or payload (maybe you can accomodate two small satellites on the sides of the sabre..?). i also suppose you clipped inside the air intakes, right?

good job anyway! i hope you'll use procedural wings in the next version, stock looks a bit strange with that fuselage IMO :)

I will see what i can do, a satellite might be an interesting addition.

And no, the air intakes are right under the wings.Pretty subtle, easy to miss.

I could try to add a small pod right behind the Sabre engine.

And thanks.I can't build big spaceplanes, for some reason.All of them have a pitching-up problem.Lucchini was actually supposed to be a light weight, fast suborbital plane.Then i observed how powerfull the engine is.

Edited by SoldierHair

New design.Finally, i made an SSTO that has everything.It is big, it can hold crew, it has TONS of RCS (which can be traded for more fuel, crew tanks or a bigger cargo bay), it can bring another ship (if i extend the cargo bay) or a satellite to orbit.

Meet Clostermann.

E2R28pW.jpg

F0VG0iq.jpg

4oCkMRY.jpg

ePI8y4t.jpg

Entering the atmosphere with style.It started to pitch-up and rotate while in reentry.

KA5fGUF.jpg

Ls7lC2h.jpg

And hey!We saved it!Well, most of it atleast.

GxxgNcC.jpg

Edited by SoldierHair

Great idea to start this thread! FAR makes for very different craft. I'll cross-post my SSTOs from elsewhere. All three of these have been to orbit and returned safely at least once - and the Freebird Mk. 1 has even completed rescue missions after a couple of occasions when the Mk. 3 (not pictured) experienced sudden unexpected engine disconnection events.

Freebird Mk. 1

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Freebird Mk. 4

Epsilon

If I remember correctly, that last one got to orbit with over 2500 m/s delta-v left.

I haven't actually delivered a payload with any of these yet (apart from a hitchhiker storage container in the rescue missions), because the rovers/landers that I want to put up are too large even for that cargo bay. My next SSTO experiments will involve the use of procedural fairings to make a larger cargo hold.

I updated the Clostermann.Now it has more fuel, i fixed the placement of the RCS ports, added more parachutes, added more struts and now it has its own little satellite probe.

LCCIRck.jpg

sXMyR8X.png

The Clostermann is pretty big.From 500m:

kCzhcCG.jpg

At 1KM you can still see it pretty clearly

jLncvJm.png

And the landing was a bit better this time.

OmTlb3s.jpg

Edited by SoldierHair

The main problem is that it starts to violently rotate and pitch up in reentry.I activated the back parachutes to recover from the flat spin, but that didn't happened so i activated all the parachutes at around ~1km from the ground.

Any tips to prevent that?Lucchini is doing just fine in reentry.

The main problem is that it starts to violently rotate and pitch up in reentry.I activated the back parachutes to recover from the flat spin, but that didn't happened so i activated all the parachutes at around ~1km from the ground.

Any tips to prevent that?Lucchini is doing just fine in reentry.

maybe a tail over those SABRE engines?

Unfortunately, I keep FAR on a separate intsall since my current (and only) SSTO has it's wings snapped off on takeoff when using FAR. Here she is in all her beauty.

vu6i.png

Any suggestions for no wing ripping?

Edited by Captain Sierra
forgot the dang pic

Great idea to start this thread! FAR makes for very different craft. I'll cross-post my SSTOs from elsewhere. All three of these have been to orbit and returned safely at least once - and the Freebird Mk. 1 has even completed rescue missions after a couple of occasions when the Mk. 3 (not pictured) experienced sudden unexpected engine disconnection events.

that's some stilish stuff you got there, nice work! would you post some pics of the freebird Mk.4 while flying? it's definetly the most interesting of those planes, and only two photos left me a bit unsatisfacted :)

Unfortunately, I keep FAR on a separate intsall since my current (and only) SSTO has it's wings snapped off on takeoff when using FAR. Here she is in all her beauty.

Any suggestions for no wing ripping?

did they brake due to aerodinamic forces?

Looks like we have the same naming scheme, SoldierHair :P

This is the Hartmann 2, my first functional SSTO

p3i4xa.jpg

A few flaws in the design however. When tanks are about 70% depleted, 2 engines get disabled, due to lazy fuel balancing. I also neglected to add a power source, so i had to burn my engines a bit to generate enough power to rotate the ship to get a good picture :P.

I had to rework the tail, the last design wasn't really stable.

All good.

rhQ08di.jpg

[jeremyclarkson]THE SPEED.THE SPEEEEED![/jeremyclarkson]

uaFluh5.jpg

Ok, all good.Huh, this actually wor- OH GOD.

YeMLkDj.jpg

And turns out this think is an amazing glider when it's almost out of fuel.Right now i am gliding to where ever Clostermann wants to go.

53y2H0z.jpg

Ninja'd:Another Strike Witches fan, i see?Looks pretty good for your first SSTO, but you might want to rework your engines.I had a Charlotte Yeager design aswell, but the wings glitched out.You know, the old detached-part-that-multiplied-itself-a-few-times.I will have to restart the Yeager project.

Edited by SoldierHair

.I had a Charlotte Yeager design aswell, but the wings glitched out.You know, the old detached-part-that-multiplied-itself-a-few-times.I will have to restart the Yeager project.

That was the fate of a large amount of my SW designs, normally when redoing engines. This is one of the reasons i didn't really touch the engine designs on Hartmann after the first iteration.

UPDATE: I was tabbed out, and forgot to pause, so the burn i did apparently deorbited the ship, and it is now gliding along, close to the ground, at 1000m.

qnpyit.jpg

I guess i'm landing.

Edited by gompasta

aNSLGG8.jpg

And i landed.

This one can go home by itself, but i have other 2 'landed' Clostermanns that weren't as fortunate on landing as the 3rd design.I will have to send a Lucchini for each of the crew members.I will put a small capsule behind the engine, Lucchini is too fast and turns too violently (around 8G) for external seats.

Edited by SoldierHair

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.