Tune in to KSPTV at 18:00 CST for Episode Zero of SQUADCAST!

Maxmaps

Funny thing; GMT has different zones. +1, +2, +3 etc etc. Same goes for CST though. What CST are we talking about? I checked at GMT 23:30 and the guy said an hour and a half until stream. So for me it would be 01:30 GMT +1. It's so freaking weird sometimes..

GMT, Greenwich mean time, when you post GMT you are only referring to the time as its over Greenwich, as a savvy person you are supposed to know your Timezone is GMT +/- 0-12, and hence able to do the maths ie 23:00 GMT and your timezone is GMT +8 then its happening at 0700.

The problem is, GMT refers to the time at Greenwhich, which is in England. England uses Daylight Savings Time, which lends ambiguity to whether you referred to GMT or GMT+1 during the summer. Instead, you should be using UTC, which is the international standard basis for timezones, defined as GMT without DST.

The problem is, GMT refers to the time at Greenwhich, which is in England. England uses Daylight Savings Time

No, GMT refers to GMT - it's a universal standard used worldwide. Daylight Savings Time is a local modification to GMT. Apples and orangutangs.

which lends ambiguity to whether you referred to GMT or GMT+1 during the summer.

How, exactly, is there *ANY* ambiguity between GMT and GMT+1? That's like saying there's ambiguity over whether something is an apple or an orangutang. On top of which, there are any number of sites on the web that will give you the current time in GMT and/or your local timezone's offset from GMT.

Instead, you should be using UTC, which is the international standard basis for timezones, defined as GMT without DST.

Um, yes and no. UTC is the de jure standard for regulating time. GMT is the de facto standard for pretty much everyone who isn't precisely setting a clock or otherwise has a need precise time synchronization. Not to mention that UTC and GMT are identical to within a few fractions of a second of each other.

This is not the place to be discussing the relative merits of different timing conventions. I believe the original concern which sparked this discussion (that there were not enough timezones listed for the start of a stream) has been addressed, as a GMT start time has been included in the title for Episode 1.

This announcement should probably have been locked when it was posted, so I am doing so now.

Edited by Rich