[Concept] Jukebox Engines?

Phoxtane

Here\'s a though: Modify a LFE to look like a solar panel. Give this solar panel a custom sound -- say, your favorite song. 0 Thrust, 0 Fuel burn, and you\'re got yourself a jukebox.

Obviously, this would have to be in its own stage.

I like this. I could play music while I\'m killing my kerbals.

Great! Putting this under Ideas for now.

Entirely possible - I had thought of making one such part actually. I\'m still thinking about what song to put in by default.

Oh, you. DIBS!

I just thought about something though. It would need to be a SRB or something. Because LFEs modulate the sound effects, which would distort the song.

As a reference: to put a music as an engine\'s sound: have the song on your disk, rename it to sound_music (make sure it\'s a Mp3) or another thing (the only REQUIRED part is the 'sound_' prefix), and add it under sound FXes like so: 'sound_music.mp3 = active' (active being the FX group attributed to, you guessed it, an active part)

I just thought about something though. It would need to be a SRB or something. Because LFEs modulate the sound effects, which would distort the song.

As a reference: to put a music as an engine\'s sound: have the song on your disk, rename it to sound_music (make sure it\'s a Mp3) or another thing (the only REQUIRED part is the 'sound_' prefix), and add it under sound FXes like so: 'sound_music.mp3 = active' (active being the FX group attributed to, you guessed it, an active part)

Hm.

Time to experiment, but after school. Also, I think the first song shall be NYAN CAT.

This doesn\'t appear to work with non_engine parts. =/

EDIT: Or for engine parts, either. =(

Someone walk me through this step by step? I have a sound file, called sound_launch.mp3, in a sounds folder inside the part directory; the cfg specifies sound_launch.mp3 = activate and/or =active...

But all I get is the default gas puff sound.

EDIT: Put the file into KSP\'s main 'sounds' folder, tried with 'sound_launch' and 'sound_launch.mp3'; still no joy.

It was broken in 13.0 but fixed in 13.1.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed the custom part sounds loading system, which wasn\'t working on the last release.

* The part loader will no longer freeze if it cannot find a part module to load. It will load the base Part module, and make it visible but unavailable on the VAB.

13.1 is now released! Get it here.

Thanks for that Blinkin. I\'m aware that the release notes state that the custom sound loader is fixed, but I believe that to be incorrect, and that it remains broken.

Can you point me to a part I can download that demonstrates this functionality actually working?

Thanks for that Blinkin. I\'m aware that the release notes state that the custom sound loader is fixed, but I believe that to be incorrect, and that it remains broken.

Can you point me to a part I can download that demonstrates this functionality actually working?

I got it working in .12, but you\'re correct; a clone of the part failed to work in .13.1. Going to see what the debug console tells me.

EDIT:

It loads the sound, but in .12 the debug console tells me it added it to an FX group. That line is missing in .13.1.

Yeah, I\'ve run them up in part lab, no joy. Does appear to work, just can\'t here it in the game. I\'ll make my part editor write them to the part.cfg file as per (Skunky\'s?) part.cfg wiki page. When they start working, they start working. Either that or some smart cookie will at least be able to play with it and tell me if I\'ve done something wrong.

Works in .13.2; leastwise, .wav\'s do. Sound file can either be in the global sound directory or in a sounds folder inside the part\'s folder.

Haven\'t gotten it to play .mp3s, although many of the default sounds are in that format. Dunno the difference.

EDIT:

The following parts will not play sounds on activation:

Fuel tanks

RCS tanks

The following parts will:

Engines

Winglets

Struts

Decouplers

ASAS

Command Pods

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.