Custom hardware / simpit repository. For people who take KSP a little too far.

Mulbin

Tell me, how do you calculate a flight / gravity turn as a function of speed and altitude?? /giggles

I don't have my kOS scripts available during the week but if I'm not totally wrong I do this:

- calculate 110% of the altitude at which space begins for the body you're on. I call this target altitude or tAlt. the 10% extra is my safety margin.

- calculate the orbital velocity oVel needed at tAlt required for a circular orbit.

- Launch phase: go straight up and keep your velocity at 90% of terminal velocity tVel for your current altitude. a simple PD controller works great for this. skip this step if you're on a body without atmosphere. go to next step once tVel exceeds 15% of oVel. You'll need the atmospheric density at sealevel for the body you're on to calculate terminal velocities - KSP wiki has them.

- "Gravity" turn phase: adjust your thrust in order to keep time-to-apoapsis ttAp ~40s in the future. at the same time, adjust your eastward inclination so that you're angling 9° (or 10% of 90°) at 10% of tAlt, 45° (or 50% of 90°) at 50% of tAlt and so on. go to next step once your Apoapsis crosses tAlt.

- circularization phase: angle 90° east. Calculate the required burn duration to circularize at Apoapsis. Cut throttle to zero whenever ttAp is > burn duration. throttle up if it is below burn time.

The circularization phase is a bit rough and in fact I have found a better / smoother solution for circularization involving another PD controller logic but I can't for the life of me remember what was involved.

That all said, good luck :)

Edited by MrOnak

I was trying to goad stibbons into unleashing their evil genius, but

You'll need the atmospheric density at sealevel for the body you're on to calculate terminal velocities - KSP wiki has them.

/gasps :o

WHY DID I NOT THINK OF DOING THIS BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE ONE THING I WANT TO ADD TO MY PANEL THAT'S NOT ALREADY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duh Amelia, calculate it yourself, the info's all there! :D

p.s. already did the same thing for calculating which body you're orbiting, gonna re-post it so someone can 'borrow' it if they like :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100977-Hardware-Custom-KSP-flight-panel-with-flight-computer?p=1561721&viewfull=1#post1561721

Really? seems an odd place to put a game mod / hardware. I though fanworks is for fiction and pictures etc? Not convinced you're putting in front of the right audience.

Of course, Orbiter has a Simpit sub forum... just saying.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to request that my DSKY project be added to the growing list of hardware projects :)

Link to the thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101971

http://i.imgur.com/erV7StRl.jpg

That looks great! How does it work??

- - - Updated - - -

Update!

Just ordered a lot of components!

Looking at making a start on the main dashboard and hopefully also an orbital readout panel. Will also be rebuilding the switch panel with a professionally printed facia.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, there's some really exciting and inspiring work going on here! Has anyone ever built a full-on cockpit before like some of those flight-sim enthusists do?

Mulbin is doing exactly that, work-in-progress though :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I think its time we got a bit more visibility and got out of this temporary slot in fanworks.

I had this message from DYJ at the start of December...

"Hardware mods could go in Addon General or Development. I'd just rather not have them mixed with releases, if you are referring to the plugin to make hardware mods work that should definitely go with the other plugins.

I definitely agree that fanworks isn't the right place for hardware however."

But I think he's been too busy to move us... so if you have a controller thread, sent him a message and let them know we need to get in a more suitable forum! I agree fully that addons general would be perfect as we can get the modding support we need without having to spam zitronen!

That'd be a shame Mulbin, seeing as this is kinda the very definition of fan made hardware, can't exactly install this to Gamedata...

Oh I thought I'd help on the visibility side, your stickied in Fanworks for February ;)

Hah, thanks Sal, that should get a few views again :) . It's a tricky thing to get into the right place... thing is though it is a game mod, even if it's hardware - its a tool to alter gameplay. You wouldn't put joysticks in fan works! Fan works are really things that are separate from the game like stories and paintings, these control panels are game mods that use an external factor just like telemachus, the ipad control app thingy etc. But I also see your point that people can't download our panels ;)

My hope is one day KSP will upgrade to a better forum with more possible categories and we'll get a simpit sub forum just like Orbiter!

Also, while feb is nice, other repositories in other forum sections (spacecraft exchange) are permanently stickied!... just sayin' ;)

- - - Updated - - -

In other news... Smug face. Second time one of my threads has been forum of the month :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up to my fellow hardware enthusiasts, the recent announcement of Radio Shack's bankruptcy has left oodles and oodles of delicious switches, potentiometers, and other bits and baubles without good homes. These parts can be had for about 80% off.

Do us all a favor and give them a home before it's too late.

*In the aaarrrrmmmmsss offffff thee angellllllll"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.