[WIP] [Plugin] [.24] Interstellar Flight Inc. - Kerbal Life Support Mod

Stavell

RELEASED!! We have moved the Thread to the Add-on Release area of the forums this post is for achive purpuses only.

Goto http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92011-Part-Release-25-0-Interstellar-Flight-Inc-Kerbal-Life-Support-Mod for support and current release.

WIP - IFI Life Support.

8-26-2014 : Release VER 1.08 - IFILifesupportPlugin108.zip

or

Project Page on curse

Source available at GitHub Released Under GPL3 License.

Bugs can be submitted in this thread or at GitHub.

If plugin seems not to be working right you can enable Debugging log entries via the right click menu on any pod (recommended to be left off unless you are experiencing problems as it does spam the log file in this early release.

I know that there are a few Life support mods in development. They are too intense for my tastes. SO I designed my own.

GOALS with my plugin:
Track life support use even when ships are not loaded into scene.
Realistic Life Support values on use and weight. based on information from [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_support_system"]Life Support Systems at wiki.org[/URL]
Low overhead and easy playability with KSP.
Life support tracked and used on EVA.
Use only one new resource to simulate LS use.
Use Electric Charge while Life support is active.

Currently the MOD is working with no game breaking bugs found yet. GPL3 License.

Crew Pod Life Support:

podls.jpg

Eva Life Support:

evels.jpg

Current Working Features
Kerbal going on Eva takes Life Support from pod/vessel.
Boarding a pod returns unused Life support to pod/vessel.
Running out of Life Support or Electric can kill crew. if outside kerbin atmosphere.
Life Support and Electric is used even if not active vessel (electric code could be problem on unfocused vessel with solar panels(testing)).
All stock pods have LS Resource and plugin installed using ModuleManager.
Electric Charge on EVA - Used by Lifesupport system and if HeadLamp is on.

To Do List:
Test and Debug Code problems.( IN PROGRESS)
Optimize working Code.(ALWAYS WORKING ON)
Create Custom Parts for additional Life support storage.( First Part Added)
Create ModuleManager file for third-party command pods.
Add ElectricCharge to EVA(DONE)
Add code to track time based on menu setting (Kerbin Day / Earth Day)(DONE)
Add Science experiments based on LifeSupport use (In development)

Plugin Operation Info
Currently there are several Status LS system can be in:
Inactive - No demand for LS and no resources consumed. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read 0.
Active - Demand for LS and resources consumed. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how long LS will last for whole vessel.
Visor - Kerbal on EVA breathing outside air decreased Resource consumption . Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how much LS remains once active again (fixing).
Intake Air - Pod using air intakes to provide O2 to crew - decreased Resource consumption.Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how much LS remains once active again
CAUTION - Less than 2 days pod or 1 hour EVA of LS remaining. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how long LS will last for whole vessel.
Warning! - LS or Electric Charge at 0. Kerbals will start dieing if immediate action not taken. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read 0.

Each unit of LifeSupport should provide 1 Kerbin Day of Life support for 1 Kerbal.

Mod uses the time as set in settings menu so it will track 6 or 24 hour days depending on setting in main menu.

Parts for system (Radial tanks has already been added - stacked tank is close to release) (Both will continued to be re-textured as time goes on)

newtanks.jpg

Edited by Stavell
link to new forum thread

Now I'm not a modeler so what I'd like to ask help with is the creation and design of the following models:

1.25 m diameter Life support Can/tank
2.5 m diameter Life support Can/tank

and 2 different sized radial attached can/tanks.

Thank You for looking

would'ed life support always be active ? If your using just 1 resource.

Actually if you go on EVA from a single crew pod it would not be active since the kerbal is not in the pod. Really only means the electric charge would not be used. But for most purposes in testing it stays active the whole flight especially with multi crew capable pods

Edited by Stavell

You could use http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70986-0-23-Cargo-Transfer-Bags-and-Tanks%28for-TAC-life-support%29-0-6 and there was some resize 1's from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/eclssrebalancer/ and there is http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/universal-storage/ there nice.

EDIT so, I see in the pic your LS has 14 is that days or hour's ? my bad see it now 5 days thats nice.

EDIT2 Can't wait to give it a try :D

Edited by Mecripp2

Each unit is 1 day for 1 kerbal (roughly as some kerbals seem to eat more when in a group :)) )

I added the days remaining tag so you could see how long a vessel had with current crew on-board - it changes dynamically when you remove add crew to vessel( no matter if it is on a different part.)

EDIT - I'm setting up a github repository now... the code works -- I just need to get the debug logging code under control so it doesn't spam the log files in release mode. and I'm adding a button to turn it back on on a pod - so if someone has a problem they can have it log so I can find the problem.

Edited by Stavell

One day as in Earth day or Kerbin Day (24 hours or 6 hours)? I know since 0.23.5 the meaning of "one day" has slightly changed, so I figured I'd ask.

Using the Kerbin 6 hour day.

This was similar to an idea I was having. Sadly I don't know how code so it never came of anything.

In my idea I also connected life support to living space. All pods/crew tanks provided life support for half the crew capacity. For example: a Mk1 Pod would only produce half the life support needed to keep a Kerbal alive forever, so one would need at least another 1-man pod to produce enough life support. A Mk1-2 pod would provide 1.5 Kerbals worth of life support, etc. That way the problem of putting crews in tiny spacecraft for years and years would be solved.

Any chance you could release this part of it as a separate stand alone mod?

Still testing this but I guess I was a little vague atm only the ElectricCharge used by the LS System is consumed when not focused. So lights, SAS and other things do not (

and I not sure how I'm tracking solar or generator power ATM or if it will make a impact on the LS system. If I get it working with all I would happily separate code out.

Released updated Plugin - I made a small change before initial release and it broke the EVA Resources. opps

Fixed VER 0.02 uploaded.

Edited by Stavell
change post to release info

So far so good but not sure the LS Debug only shows on pods that have 0 crew.

is that on all pods or a certain one? Seems to be working now (could have made a change already). Plan on releasing a new build Monday.

Download link has been updated to VERSION 0.03 beta release.

Changes:
. Fixed EVA code so partModule stays on Kerbal even if save/load game while on eva.
. Fixed bug where Kerbal leaving pod would take double the resources and lose half.
. Changed from using a config file to store persistence VAR's on vessels to VARs that are stored in persistence file
. tweaked ElectricCharge consumption rate.

.BUG #2 GitHub . Kerbal on EVA does not die when resources run out (FIXED)

is that on all pods or a certain one? Seems to be working now (could have made a change already). Plan on releasing a new build Monday.

It was with any pod that can hold crew but launched with out crew.

Edit-- Forgot also, I made this cfg to added it to other mods

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[1]]

{

RESOURCE

{

name = LifeSupport

amount = 24

maxAmount = 24

}

MODULE

{

name = IFILifeSupport

}

}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[2]]

{

RESOURCE

{

name = LifeSupport

amount = 48

maxAmount = 48

}

MODULE

{

name = IFILifeSupport

}

}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[3]]

{

RESOURCE

{

name = LifeSupport

amount = 72

maxAmount = 72

}

MODULE

{

name = IFILifeSupport

}

}

Edited by Mecripp2

Ooh, nice. A decent LS mod with no part/resource bloat (hexcans, hexcans everywhere!). I'd like to install it now, but then I'd end up killing everyone in my current save :P Subscribed for updates for when I get bored of this save.

Guh, KSP really needs a way to disable/enable different mods per savegame...

How does one increase the Life Support after its been depleted?

I currently use edited part.cfg RCS radial and tanks to carry extra life support. Just make a copy of the part.cfg and remane the part and change the "MonoPropellant" to "LifeSupport" and ya have a extra LS storage..

I plan to have parts in the near future.

the current alt click method of fuel transfer works for Life support too.

Seems the Button commands are linked to if the craft is controlled. so the debug button only shows up if vessel is controlled (1 or more kerbals or a probe core on vessel)

It was with any pod that can hold crew but launched with out crew.

Edit-- Forgot also, I made this cfg to added it to other mods

Edited by Stavell

Download link has been updated to VERSION 0.04 beta release.

Changes:
. Fixed EVA code so resources transfered correctly every time.
. Updated my debug tracking code if you activate the Debug logging on any pod it is active on all IFI scripts until turned back off. and can be turned on or off on any controlled pod.

In VER 0.05 I'm adding electric charge to EVA and charge usage if you have the headlamp on.

Download link has been updated to VERSION 0.04 beta release.

Changes:
. Fixed EVA code so resources transfered correctly every time.
. Updated my debug tracking code if you activate the Debug logging on any pod it is active on all IFI scripts until turned back off. and can be turned on or off on any controlled pod.

In VER 0.05 I'm adding electric charge to EVA and charge usage if you have the headlamp on.

Download still goto ver. 2 ?

Download still goto ver. 2 ?

Tried on 2 different pc's it downloads the zip with ver 0.04 contents going to change zip name to include ver number.. ISP might be caching content name change should stop that if it's the case.

Edited by Stavell

Download link has been updated to VERSION 0.005 beta release.

6-4-2014 : beta release VER 0.05 - IFILifesupportPlugin005.zip

or at here

GitHub IFI Life Support Releases

Changes:

Fixed Debug code.
Added ElectricCharge to EVA.
Made Headlamp on EVA use resources.
Tweaked resource use.

moved GameEvents declarations so not to duplicate calls during a event.

My plan now is to test test test and make releases as bugs are fixed no more they once a week - unless the bug is a game killer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.