How to set up a joystick

That's the same exact model I use. From the first screen in KSP, open the 'Settings' menu, then the 'input' section. Click the button that says 'Staging UI' and the right side of the menu (under 'Axis Bindings') should now have some options. Click on the long grey bar labelled 'Pitch Axis', and then (very carefully) move your joystick forward or back. Now it should be bound to that axis. Do the same for other axis, including setting the little paddle to control the throttle (You're going to love how precise your throttle control is with that, by the way).

You may have to come back to invert an axis or adjust the sensitivity or dead band (I find my self lowering the sensitivity and raising the dead zone a little). As for other buttons, you can set them however you wish, using the same method (click a grey bar, then mash the joystick button you want to assign to it). I find value in setting joystick buttons 3 & 4 to RCS and SAS toggle, respectively, and the trigger for temporarily toggling SAS on/off. Some handy functions for buttons down on the base are map-view, stage, abort, brakes, or whatever you find yourself using most frequently.

• 4 months later...
I move my joystick, but nothing happens...

I'm also having problems with this joystick. After I click "Pitch Axis" it tells me to move the joystick in the intended axis, but nothing happens.

I've calibrated the joystick outside of the game and also used it in other games, so I know its working somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Arienette, I had the same problem but I seem to have found a solution (maybe).

My stick was working but ksp would not detect it's movements. I could however assign joystick buttons to functions.

After I had assigned some keys I quit the program and reloaded it, after this KSP responded to me moving the joystick. I hope this works for you but I can't promise anything.

On an interesting side note ambidexterity has it's plus's and minuses. Plus I can use my mouse with my left hand because minus I didn't think about the joystick being left or right handed :P I've ended up binding it to translation and kept WASD as rotation. This should making docking faster and easier.

• 1 month later...
I'm also having problems with this joystick. After I click "Pitch Axis" it tells me to move the joystick in the intended axis, but nothing happens.

I've calibrated the joystick outside of the game and also used it in other games, so I know its working somewhere.

I'm having exactly this issue. Clockwork_werewolf's fix didn't work, though my buttons mapped to keys work fine (which makes sense; I think it's talking joystick to USB Overdrive, and USBO is talking keyboard to KSP.)

I'm going to try unmapping the buttons to keyboard keys and see if that does it.

...Nope. Once I make the joystick stop using keyboard keys, it stops reporting.

This is an old, old Saitek 3D USB. I just went on an extensive, two-day search for it so I could fly my VTOL, and now it's all for nought. I've got another very similar one that I'll try, but I don't have much hope.

...Ah! USB Overdrive is trapping all the analog inputs! Everything's working with no driver at all now, except that everything's miscalibrated: pitch, roll, and yaw are all off by about 15°.

Edit: I'm now using ControllerMate to calibrate the joystick and convert its 128-point resolution to KSP's 256. I turned sensitivity down to about 60% in KSP to get any subtlety at all.

Edited by Joshua A.C. Newman

• 2 weeks later...

Be carefull with that throttle control and refrain from pressing shift or ctrl, when you use it! IIRC, the throttle setting of your joystick will be detected once any change to throttle has been input, in any way, during your current flight, but not before - which means, if you had your throttle-control on the stick to max at the end of your last flight and havent touched it since having switched to your current flight, hitting ctrl or shift will actually put you to full throttle, instantly. It can be a very unpleasant surprise, the more unpleasant, the longer it takes you to figure out what´s going on. So: Be consistent with your choice of input-devices, esp. when it comes to throttle!

• 7 months later...
having a problem wit the hotas x. all the buttons work but the axes don't register

Are you trying to assign an analog to a button? I've had no issues with mine.

In the future with threads this old it is better to start a new one to avoid confusion.

Edited by Alshain

I suggest using Advanced Flyby-Wire, since the stock controller detection is broken and doesn't work. I purchased a remote control about a year ago and I tried to get the analog sticks to map, but it wouldn't detect my inputs so I gave up on it. Then I bought a new SNES PC remote and got that mod and now it works.

Takes a bit more effort but it fixes your problem. Requires an old version of Toolbar.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.