The KSPedia: a printable guide book with all you need to know to plan your missions

Savvy

I had this ambitious project for a looong time in my head, and was inspired by the books astronauts have in their spaceships : a printable book containing all the infos, tables, charts so you can plan every steps of your mission, from constructing to landing on another planet. This is without a doubt my favorite aspect of KSP, being able to plan ahead thanks to math, so I became obsessed gathering all the existing tools to do so.

I thought I'll have enough time to construct it during the summer holidays, but no. School starts tomorrow and as of now it is incomplete, maybe people can finish it, please read on.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Things it has

For every body on the Kerbol, the book features (purposely in this order, construction --> landing):

• The body main physical characteristics (SOI, radius, gravitational parameter...)
  • Maps : Terrain map, anomalies, slopes, Kethane, Karbonite
  • Parachutes charts : calculate given your ship's mass and the touchdown you want the amount of parachute you'll need. Made by ThePsuedoMonkey, more info here
  • Aerocapture chart : can't seem to find the original thread/author here...
  • Ideal altitude charts for all the scanning/resource systems (Scansat, ORS...) : made by Technogeeky, more info here INCOMPLETE
  • Ideal altitude tables for all the scanning/resource : made by Technogeeky, more info here
  • Darkness time in orbit charts (for the batteries) : made by me for the project, more info here
  • Landing charts : made by alterbaron, more info here

Things to be done

OK as you can see we're missing quite a bit of stuff, this is where the community is going to help.

Quick note on what needs to be done :

• The maps. I tried but the scanning for all the terrain/resources was taking way too long. I suggest exporting the maps from ScanSat v>7, so we can have all the resources. Unless you already scanned the body and export the maps in highres, we may need the help of technogeeky (author of ScanSat
  • Ideal scanner altitude charts : when I made it only the scansat scanners charts were done, we'll need those for ORS and the others he made. They're right here.
  • Ideal scanner altitude table : essential to know the inclination, total scanning time and many many more. On the same thread as the charts.
  • Landing charts. These. Are. Essentials. Use for precise landing, unfortunately the charts are low res and not easily readable, someone needs to redo these using his Matlab script. Original thread here, let me know if you need help with Matlab, a style similar to the parachutes/darkness time charts would be perfect.

If you'd like to complete the project, here's the docx. Fonts used are OCR A Std for the names and Calibri corps in italic for the rest.

So yeah, I won't hear the sweet intro song of kerbal space program until probably a few months from now, and I won't be able to work on the book too. I really do hope you will enjoy my work, and that a few of you will continue it.

Fly safe.

Edited by Savvy

THE central repository for information and tutorials is http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28352-The-Drawing-Board-A-library-of-tutorials-and-other-useful-information so I'd suggest you post a compilation of LINKS TO YOUR ORIGINAL DATA there.

The reasons "links" is in capitals are ... i) do you have permission to reprint/distribute the originals (if so, how are you sure and where do you credit the original authors?), ii) since THEY'll update their data you don't want to publishing out-of-date stuff.

;-0 Have fun in school - you'll learn about plagiarism, attribution, etc. there.

It sounds interesting :) but isn't resource placement randomized?

You mean for ORS ? I thought it was randomized when they created the mod, not when it's loaded. Don't know for sure. :)

First thing that leaps to mind... Orbital inclination of each planet. Seems odd to me you can,t find that info intyher tracking station...

Yep that's something that could be added to characteristics, didn't think of that.

THE central repository for information and tutorials is http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28352-The-Drawing-Board-A-library-of-tutorials-and-other-useful-information so I'd suggest you post a compilation of LINKS TO YOUR ORIGINAL DATA there.

The reasons "links" is in capitals are ... i) do you have permission to reprint/distribute the originals (if so, how are you sure and where do you credit the original authors?), ii) since THEY'll update their data you don't want to publishing out-of-date stuff.

;-0 Have fun in school - you'll learn about plagiarism, attribution, etc. there.

Oh I posted every source I used, except for one I couldn't find. But I don't understand, you want me to say in the thread what I used along with the OPs ?

And yeah thanks, that looks great... :D

Yeah, it's about the .PDF document itself - all your references above are good !!OOPS, I never even said, 'Well Done', sorry!! but they should be published with the document itself so it's a 'standalone' thing; here's the information and this is where it comes from.

Legally, unless each published document explicitly says you can copy/redistribute it, then you can't just bundle stuff like this together. It's unlikely to be an issue in the KSP community (I hope) but when you're rich and famous and selling this for 100funds each there's always the chance of friends falling-out if you don't cover yourself.

Anyway - well done :-)

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.