Earthquake

Foamy

Indeed, we felt the ground shake quite a bit here.

We\'re all fine, but some areas of the city have no power at the moment. Things should go back to normal soon.

This is a new quake, yes. We experienced one back in November, IIRC, but it seems this one was quite a bit stronger. They\'re saying it was a 7.6 magnitude event.

Looks like there wasn\'t any damage to the city, fortunately. :)

Cheers

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Must be near a major fault line, as thats where they usually appear (one every 40 or so years), this one might have also been triggiered by that last one...

We\'re all fine, but some areas of the city have no power at the moment. Things should go back to normal soon.

This is a new quake, yes. We experienced one back in November, IIRC, but it seems this one was quite a bit stronger. They\'re saying it was a 7.6 magnitude event.

Cheers

Oh thank God you\'re all right.

Glados-442x332.jpg

:D

Cheers

Not surprising; Mexico improved their building codes after a bunch of major earthquakes in Mexico City in 1985, so I suspect the urban structures have the same strength and resilience as Los Angeles, at the very least.

Glad to hear everyone\'s okay and not much was damaged.

I remember that \'85 quake quite well. I was working at a Radio Shack and we were selling these 'personal' satellite dish packages that had an easy to setup 3\' dish that was portable. We had it setup just out the front door and were picking up raw feeds coming out of Mexico. Some of that footage was very shocking. I will never forget the pictures of the apartment building complex that had fallen over like dominoes.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Not surprising; Mexico improved their building codes after a bunch of major earthquakes in Mexico City in 1985, so I suspect the urban structures have the same strength and resilience as Los Angeles, at the very least.

Glad to hear everyone\'s okay and not much was damaged.

Yeah, buildings here are now all built around a steel skeleton, instead of just concrete and re-bar. They\'re meant to ride out a quake, and it seems they do work as advertised. :)

Minor quakes are not uncommon around here... The last one was only a few months ago. Although at 7.6 magnitude, I think this one isn\'t what you\'d call \'minor\'... But that\'s measured at the epicenter, which was over 300km away from us. I guess it must have been much stronger there...

Cheers

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Yeah, buildings here are now all built around a steel skeleton, instead of just concrete and re-bar. They\'re meant to ride out a quake, and it seems they do work as advertised. :)

Minor quakes are not uncommon around here... The last one was only a few months ago. Although at 7.6 magnitude, I think this one isn\'t what you\'d call \'minor\'... But that\'s measured at the epicenter, which was over 300km away from us. I guess it must have been much stronger there...

Cheers

If its above 6, its not minor here.

Good that everything is OK. :)

Oh yes.... And, you know, every +1 means an earthquake that is 10 times bigger. This means that a 8.0 earthquake is 1000 times stronger than a 5.0 earthquake...

Hey guys,

Squad office is located in a neighborhood called 'Condesa' here in Mexico City and its near downtown. Over here the earthquake felt pretty bad!

The ground around this zone is very unstable and all the buildings, lampposts were shaking a lot! Here in Squad, everybody took it easy and without panic, but it seems that a lot of people out in the city had breakdown problems.

We were out of light until now (4 hrs since earthquake), and there have been almost 3 aftershocks, nothing to worry about.

National Seismological confirmed it was a 7.8 magnitude earthquake, but there is no significant structural damage or lives lost, so far.

We are supposed to be prepared for this kind of events, but \'85 quake remains in people\'s minds so it\'s normal that they freaked out.

Hopefully, there will be no more aftershocks or at least not with the same intensity.

Cheers.

Actually, every 1 step up is about 32 times more :) learned that in Earth science. correct me if im wrong, because i\'ve been playing too much KSP to care about school.

i.e 7.0 is about 32 times less than a 8.0 Earthquake

Glad you\'re alright. Can\'t imagine what such a powerful earthquake would feel like. I\'ve only ever experienced a 1.4 and was getting freaked out by the rumbling and windows rattling (Actually on that day the windows rattled twice, the other time was due to a plane going supersonic near the city).

There was a 5.8 quake in Virginia in August, was felt all the way up to NY. And even that was pretty unsettling. At least for me I guess, since my room is in the top floor of the house. Was kind of weird, I felt some odd vibrations or something before the most active part occurred, but I thought it was nothing.

I can\'t really imagine what a 7.8 must be like. Glad everyone\'s okay.

There was a 5.8 quake in Virginia in August, was felt all the way up to NY. And even that was pretty unsettling. At least for me I guess, since my room is in the top floor of the house. Was kind of weird, I felt some odd vibrations or something before the most active part occurred, but I thought it was nothing.

I can\'t really imagine what a 7.8 must be like. Glad everyone\'s okay.

I was in NY that day! I took a week off there by myself and I felt the quake. A friend of mine who lives there told me that a quake in NY is really weird, and it seemed so because a lot of people freaked out. Then, I had to take a week off more because Hurricane Irene arrived and my flight back to Mexico City was cancelled... but everything was ok.

Now, here in Mexico City, after more than 30 aftershocks, everything\'s back to normal.

Thanks guys