B9 Aerospace Shipyard

I noticed that B9 Aerospace vessels are not very common and that you really only find them here and there if you're actively looking. So, instead of combing the web for people's creations made of B9 Aerospace and Misc mods, I'll just make this thread so people can find them more easily, including me! :D

However, I don't want this to just be an I post, you post, I post links you asked for thing. As such, if you want to post something here to share your B9 Aerospace creation(s), I'd encourage that you post not only pictures to show off your wonderful vessel to us all, but to post a link to the ship file if you'd be so kind. Would you please.

While I do have a perfect vessel to share, I don't have the craft files for it anymore, and I can't exactly make it from scratch again. If I do, it'd nay be the same. So it'd be a second version. I'll post a link for those who are interested, but I won't post pictures.

If you use any extra mods, be sure to list them. Would you please.

I think I'll go ahead and get to work on something worth releasing...something from the Goliath series I have going on.

Yes! I try and try to build a good B9 Aerospace ship but it's always wobbly and inclines when flying :(

i'd love to fly a good one :D

Well, thats simply poor distribution of weight. Research proper placement of your wings to apply lift in the perfect areas and add in the research of engine placement as well. It's definitely rocket science and not at all fun because it's like real homework, but it's totally worth it. However, what I have asked for is not limited to spaceplanes. Rockets and spaceships are welcome as well.

I mean one o those massive B9 ships, with 4 or more of those big engines.

So you're not talking about rocket science airplanes, you're talking about launching hulks the size of the VAB.

Well, my best bit of information is that they are parts that were not originally intended to be launched as a single stage vessel.As such, larger docking rings were made to comply with this. However, even getting those large parts into orbit is quite the challenge....

To help you a bit in your endeavors, I'll say that you should pack smaller vessels that are actually parts of the ship you really want, launch them using a base of lots of those large HX engines, and make sure you have enough fuel to make it all possible. My Goliath series of ships is supposed to feature massive ships with large hangars for smaller vessels and the ability to make it to other planets with ease (excluding landing), but so far, it's a challenge to get them into orbit at all, and it's mainly due to the odd delta-v those engines have. Could probably get the ship into orbit, but it'd be depleted of all fuel.

Guest Space Cowboy

I will be offering this up soon. Intended to lift cargo / space station elements into orbit. I am getting into orbit reliably but must fine tune the burn balance and fuel amount.

screenshot251_zps3bab29ab.png

I will be offering this up soon. Intended to lift cargo / space station elements into orbit. I am getting into orbit reliably but must fine tune the burn balance and fuel amount.

I feel you. You either get great range (and fill all the space with orange tanks), or use all the cargo space for cargo and basically becomes a 100km burner.

Anyway, plane. I call it the SC-5X Vectorn. This is the XF.8 Science Vessel (eXtended Farer, version 8, with a manned science probe attached)

2fnrNO7.jpg

Edited by mrwinesauce

I feel you. You either get great range (and fill all the space with orange tanks), or use all the cargo space for cargo and basically becomes a 100km burner.

Anyway, plane. I call it the SC-5X Vectorn. This is the XF.8 Science Vessel (eXtended Farer, version 8, with a manned science probe attached)

http://i.imgur.com/2fnrNO7.jpg

wow! thats a nice-looking futuristic plane :o

Guest Space Cowboy

Well for now I have given up. I am also experiencing the pitch up moment someone else mentioned above. You can see the COL and COM in the pic, with empty tanks. I have flown with various fuel loads, all in such a way so as to not move the COM. I feed off the two tanks nearly touching the COM, and the plane stays in balance. The forward feeds the right engines, and the aft feeds the left. If I choose to add fuel beyond that I add equally fore and aft. I have used this technique before with no problem. I have verified the burn from outside in equally (front and rear first, and then working toward the middle tanks) when using more than two tanks.

To further clarify, the pitch up seems to happen at higher altitudes.

screenshot253_zpseb8584e9.png

I mean one o those massive B9 ships, with 4 or more of those big engines.

So you mean something like this?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Or this,

Space Cowboy,

Check your crafts hull for flex, sometimes it will flex from front to back on long craft like that and cause it to fly odd, like the pitching issue you are describing.

Well for now I have given up. I am also experiencing the pitch up moment someone else mentioned above. You can see the COL and COM in the pic, with empty tanks. I have flown with various fuel loads, all in such a way so as to not move the COM. I feed off the two tanks nearly touching the COM, and the plane stays in balance. The forward feeds the right engines, and the aft feeds the left. If I choose to add fuel beyond that I add equally fore and aft. I have used this technique before with no problem. I have verified the burn from outside in equally (front and rear first, and then working toward the middle tanks) when using more than two tanks.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/jwt0bos/screenshot253_zpseb8584e9.png

That sounds like CoM/CoT issues, perhaps the landing gear, perhaps those engines aren't perfectly on the centerline because of the thickness of the wings. In any case, the effect gets masked at low altitudes because of the huge stabilizing effect of a correctly placed CoL and lots of lifting surfaces.

Rune. The worst kind of gremlin to fight, since every try means climbing to 20kms to see if it died already. I feel for you.

Have you tried throttling down a bit. I found it helps to stablise the flight a bit before running again. Also, you might want to add a pair of stablisers at the cabins.

Pitching some of the wing engine down also helps (on my med size, not sure if it helps for the big ones.)

//edit: nope, B9 is def. broken in .25. I'll wait until FAR is out again before flying. Took 10 min to 10K (normally 2 min in FAR).

Edited by mrwinesauce

Guest Space Cowboy

Actually the problem worsens or shows up at all when thrust is REDUCED at high altitude due I assume to the loss of the benefit of vectored thrust. It seems to be 1) a center of drag issue, 2) the COM OR COL ball are not accurate in the SPH, or 3) a bug. I have two models now with quite different wing profiles but each having similarly large wings, both exhibiting the same effect. I guess I could upload and you guys could have a go.

Re possibility of engines not on center-line - it is a possibility, but I took care to align them with the center engine viewing from many angles. The center is removed on the latest version.

I am wondering if drag is being unequally reduced by some component at high altitude. Also in general, the plane does lose stability even in yaw (not due to thrust asymmetry - I am quite sure) at high altitude. Something is falling apart in Kerbal with these B9 parts at high altitude. Something that was equal at lower altitude is becoming unequal at high.

Edited by Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

May have found a solution although the problem is still there: limiting control surface assignment to single axis input only.

Edited by Space Cowboy

You keep talking about CoM and CoL. Center of Thrust matters too. If it's pitching up you may be applying thrust below the center of mass. Check to see your CoT is in line with CoM. This is an easy fix by adding a pair of the radial mount engines aimed slightly downward will counteract the pitch. Your aielerons will compensate in the atmosphere but once you get into space, nothing stops that rotation without a counteracting force. This is an example of that effect, that plane has high mounted tanks and engines which cause the center of mass to raise above the center of thrust from the aerospike (under the tail) and that makes it pitch up. The orange radial engines push the pitch back down in an equal and opposite reaction. Here is a side shot, I don't have a really great picture of those engines. EDIT: Found a better shot

Back to the topic. Here is my best B9 plane. Sadly I've stopped using B9 because it's too annoying to maintain in my installation.

Edited by Alshain

Guest Space Cowboy

yeah I am aware of the COT concern, but I believe it's dead on. The only up and down asymmetry on the vehicle is the vertical stabilizers and the landing gear. As I said, when the phenomenon occurs, reducing thrust MAKES IT WORSE. Zero thrust and it is unrecoverable. Anyway, I may be onto a fix here today.

I have discovered that you can actually trim the engines in the SPH up or down 7 degrees in 1 degree increments. That is a great help in models such as yours.

yeah I am aware of the COT concern, but I believe it's dead on. The only up and down asymmetry on the vehicle is the vertical stabilizers and the landing gear. As I said, when the phenomenon occurs, reducing thrust MAKES IT WORSE. Zero thrust and it is unrecoverable. Anyway, I may be onto a fix here today.

I have discovered that you can actually trim the engines in the SPH up or down 7 degrees in 1 degree increments. That is a great help in models such as yours.

Yeah, that points out to drag or weirdness. But you can't fault us to think about thrust! It's also important, and it¡s easy to forget about it. Anyhow, good luck on the bugslayin'!!

Rune. Ad astra per aspera ;)

Sure, I'll try it out.

--------------------

SC-5S "Catfish" version SX5 (Dropbox)

The stock version comes equipped with 1 internal large docking port, and 6 "lawn chairs" in the cargo area.

Specs:

Max thrust: 2.150MN (1.825MN on KSCRW)

Dry: 70.302t

Max wet mass: 95.513t (57.338t filled in current version)

Max Kerbin takeoff mass: 200t (tested safe)

Crew Capacity: 12 + 1 pilot

Requires: B9r5, FAR, 0.24.2

** don't turn too hard. I didn't strut this thing particularly heavily.

Q5QMXwR.jpg

S0mSKzJ.jpg

q4BipXo.jpg

HLpGVpE.jpg

Controls:

-------------

1 - Central engines toggle

2 - Wing engines toggle

3 - Central engine mode switch

4 - Wing engines mode switch

5 - Air intakes toggle

6 - Hypersonic mode (both cabin and cockpit)

7 - Cargo bay doors

8 - Unused

9 - Solar panels toggle

10 - Spotlights

Edited by mrwinesauce
added craft file

Guest Space Cowboy

We here she is in all her wild bucking horse glory. Lost control towards the end. Adding verniers is helping. I may cant the inboard engines down one degree. Still tweaking. Sorry for derailing the thread. Last post till I am done.

screenshot274_zps2a9225d6.png

Still no orbit loaded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.