I have found it!! - THE ORIGINAL KERBO LOG!

Moach

Wow, almost 15 years after this drawing KSP is going gold (if all goes well in the next 4 days). Happy to see that Sara and Kelly Kerman were part of the crew back then, so excited to finally have female Kerbals in-game soon.

Any pictures from the launches? Moach...Harv (or the Shadow should I say :P)...???

Also, where did the "Kerbal" name originate from?

Furthermore, I second basic.syntax's suggestion of putting the Kerbo log ingame!

Edited by Yakuzi

• 3 months later...

Suffice to say, there is no NECRO to this particular thread, only HISTORY!

so instead of having it pinned, which I could very well just go and do -- let's make a "thing" out of it! -- whomever finds it and happens to read up to this point, go ahead and post whatever thoughts you have on the first cardboard-tinfoil pioneers of Space around and beyond Kerbin (btw, I thought of the name "Kerbo" - which later became "Kerbal" because I thought it sounded funny/alien enough for a random concoction of syllables)

really, go ahead and sticky the thread yourselves -- this is Kerbal History in the making.... it might as well, go and make itself, through the power of we all Kerbonauts!

Keep it going! -- Make it sticky! -- without us sticky'ing it!

GO!

or uh.... I'll just sticky it -- easier for all of us

Edited by Moach
changed my mind...

That last one, Kerbal XII (Kerbus), does it say the thruster was built backwards? :D

yeah.. uh.... that was a, hmm.... unfortunate.... ah.. due to eeehh.... classified information! :D

btw -- someone inquired about the pilots marked "N/A" in the logs... that's not to say there were no pilots, it's a bit confusing I guess (kerbal style!) - but IIRC that was supposed to mean that information about the pilots identity is Not Available -- there were pilots, indeed, but I think we forgot to assign them names (or ask them what they were called) before strapping the poor bastards brave pioneers into their seats

Edited by Moach
N/A

Please find a way to immortalize this in-game, my thought is over here, but I'm sure someone else like danRosas, if he was set on the task, could come up with something else that was fitting and subtle :)

+1 for this idea

Perhaps a tab with a few titbits like the Kerbo log, maybe some random concept art or whatnot, some famous Kerbal portraits?, could spice up some of the lesser-used space centre buildings, like the administration building for example or kerbonaut komplex (Not much goes on in there at the moment), could have another tab to display historikal artefacts? Just for flavour, y'know?

It could even be added to the "upgrade" scheme for said building, ie: you must "unlock" the privilege of accessing the exhibition.

IMHO these should be items scattered over the Old KSC. Say, in its control tower.

THIS is the oldest thread but it was closed a long time ago.

E :

THIS is the oldest still open thread I could find.

Looking at screenshots of old versions feels... strange

This is actually the oldest still open thread.

Would someone explain what's the deal with :hailprobe: ?

Edited by Sharpy

http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/the_probe Here, have a link. This is the Orbiter Wiki page discussing the probe. Also, man! We went from eleven years to FOURTEEN since this thread was posted! This is just awesome. Now we all just have to search the Orbiter forums for the first version of the game. If it's a private version that no one has, great! If it's just 0.7, great! Let's go!

EDIT: That was on the topic of unrelated old things. This is a related old thing.

Perhaps a tab with a few titbits like the Kerbo log, maybe some random concept art or whatnot, some famous Kerbal portraits?, could spice up some of the lesser-used space centre buildings, like the administration building for example or kerbonaut komplex (Not much goes on in there at the moment), could have another tab to display historikal artefacts? Just for flavour, y'know?

It could even be added to the "upgrade" scheme for said building, ie: you must "unlock" the privilege of accessing the exhibition.

Maybe you can put a few concept arts on the loading screen for 1.1. I mean, it's just so boring and bland now, right? Edited by RAINCRAFTER

Someone should give this to KSK to see what he can write out of it.

Also it would be fun recreating some of these in KSP.

I'm flattered!

Actually, with a couple of creative liberties it would fit rather well into the First Flight timeline. Although that would be taking creative liberties with history so perhaps something standalone would be more appropriate.

The back to front engine though - was nothing of the kind. That was an early experiment in retropropulsion using solid rocket motors. Why else do you think the early in-game SRBs are designated RT (for retro-thruster)? :)

Lolz, truth be told - it might have been a bit more like 4.5m, really... we were not exactly super-good at blasting Kerbals to orbit.... it usually stopped at the "blasting" part

...so little has changed since then :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.