Can't open save games

Hello.

So... recently my computer got hit by a power outage.

I was playing KSP when it happened.

Now that the power is back on. When ever I load up KSP I can get to the screen which has the "Resume Save" and "Start new".

When I click on "Resume save" nothing happens.

The folder with all the saved games is still there... Has a line become corrupted? Is there a way to 're-instal' my saved games?

Looking forwards to any help.

Much cheers to all.

It's quite likely that one of your save files has become corrupted. If you recall which save file you were playing on before the power outage, check that one first. Open the Saves folder, find the folder containing your save game, and look at the persistent.sfs file in Notepad. You'll probably see it cut off randomly at a certain point.

If you have a backup of this file, copy it over the broken one. Otherwise, if one of the other .sfs files in that folder is from a recent save or quicksave, you can replace the current persistent.sfs with that file to play from that point.

Thank you for your quick response.

I've found the .sfs files....

I am unsure as to what exactly I should be doing.

Am I effectively renaming the last quick save AS the persistent.sfs file?

Or am I taking the quick save out of the game save game folder and putting it some where else?

Again, thanks for all the support and help.

Much cheers to all.

The former. :)

Delete the current persistent.sfs file (after confirming it's the broken one, of course), OR just rename it to something else so the game won't try to load it (e.g., change the file extension to .txt and the game will ignore it) in case you aren't sure and want to keep it just in case. Then just rename the last quicksave to persistent.sfs. :)

I... think I worked around it.... (>_>)

I kind of did that... sort of... *Squints*

Still... the game is running again! :cool:

Again, thanks ever so much for the helps, hints and tips. :)

While the rocket I was working on isn't doing what I really wanted it to do (Air-breathing VTOL type rocket) The game is at least working and all those Kerbals currently on missions have been 'saved'. :D

Very much cheers to all.

Agani,

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, tetrarch said:

exactly! i have the same problem

This is a rather old thread @tetrarch, but we'll try to help, most likely the save you were playing is corrupted, if you open your Kerbal Space Program saves folder, then your save, you should find a folder of backups.

Use the most recent backup to continue your game, just copy it to the save folder where your persistent.sfs is, rename your persistent file then rename the backup as persistent.sfs

Hope this helps.

was editing the save file for my game, so that a craft was auto placed into orbit. However when I then enter the game, the save files are gone and i can't access them. I have backups but I would like my craft in orbit and don't just want to revert the saves. Have I done something wrong that has messed up the code?

I changed these parameters: 

http://pastebin.com/A0feEe3S

Edited by thejoshua79

On 11/1/2016 at 9:08 PM, sal_vager said:

This is a rather old thread @tetrarch, but we'll try to help, most likely the save you were playing is corrupted, if you open your Kerbal Space Program saves folder, then your save, you should find a folder of backups.

Use the most recent backup to continue your game, just copy it to the save folder where your persistent.sfs is, rename your persistent file then rename the backup as persistent.sfs

Hope this helps.

I did it once before and it worked but now it doesn't

Guys, if you are going to modify save files by hand then you really must back them up before you change anything, as it is very easy to break the file and very hard to fix it afterwards.

You will have saves in the backup folder, I suggest you use those, and the save you have edited is causing the resume game list to break, it must be removed.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:08 PM, sal_vager said:

Hope this helps.

I followed this same thread and did not modify anything else

The save you were using before the problem occurred is corrupted, this is why your resume saves list is empty, to fix this you need to move that save out of the Kerbal Space Programs folder, or rename it, or delete it, and replace it with a backup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.