Low Flyer Elite

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I break 2 engines on landing, but I made it, and my plane weighed 92 tonnes.

So many modes of failure... Either I'd jump up at the end above the height limit, crash into the water due to being stupid, try to turn at 280 m/s and aerodisintegrate, overshoot the runway, crash into the runway. Crash into the buildings...

So yeah, 92 tonnes, 5-148 meters from the water's surface, 3:16 to stop. Broke 2 engines. Passenger cap = 100

Oh, right, mod-list:

PARTS:

B9 Procedural wings (wings)

B9 Aerospace (Landing gear, navigation light, engines and pylons, tailstrike wheel, invisible strut connecting wings to body).

KAX (Landing gear)

PHYSICS:

Ferram Aerospace Research 14.6

UI:

Kerbal Engineer Redux... 1.0.13.1 (yeah, old)

Edited by Pds314

Congrats to Pds314 for completion of the Low Flyer Elite, I'm sure if you keep trying you can get a flawless completion with that craft. Patience is the key.

Thanks mate, loved the challenge. I think I got heaviest plane and most parts as well... not trying to be a bother :)

Ya sorry I didn't see your stats at first but fixed now

Just jet engines or are rocket engines allowed too?

Yes, as I said:

plane of any kind

Well, I have been unable to best Slashy's infiniglider efforts at low mass and low parts-count, so I am back to at least claim a share of the low-altitude record with a "zero meters" entry.

Images below show the low point and the final landing. Video shows the whole flight. The low point is at 00:42.

5jGHBMUl.png

19JdPGgl.png

The key to success here is not the decent to zero but the ascent afterwards. With control surfaces conventionally placed at the rear, pitching up pushes the rear end down, which invariably caused a splashdown. I added a control surface at the front and set it to respond to pitch, and disabled pitch on the two rear control surfaces. Now pitching up causes the front to rise and I can pull up without the rear end striking the water.

Very lazy admission to the Low Flyer Elite,

All Stock and all I done was take out my trusty cargo plane :) no modifications were needed or done....hence the slow time....I was carrying 18 tons of fuel to refuel craft on the island :wink:

Thanks for the challenge, I have attempted fastest time and lowest part count but just can't quite nail it. Maybe in another 2 hours :)

Tweety

• 4 weeks later...

Given:

- A request to build a Moller Skycar

- A challenge to land on the island runway without breaking 150m

- A challenge to land a VTOL on the island hangar and then on the VAB

I concluded if I can build a Skycar, surely it can complete both of those challenges easily enough, including the bonus of reaching zero altitude on the way. How hard could it be? Oh, the hubris of ambitious engineers...

The hardest part of this one was getting onto the end of the runway without busting the ceiling, which drove me to redesign the Skycar to make this easier. Even so it was an exercise in jet-lag VTOL bouncing around the berm at the end of the runway until I could get over the edge but under the virtual limbo bar. I'm told the Benny Hill theme should be playing over this section of the video.

Lowest altitude: After using the retro jets to slow down, I took the time to dip into the ocean before climbing onto the runway. It looks like it settled half a meter into the water but the altimeter stops at zero. I thought it would be cool to jetski up onto the island and then hop up to the runway, but the engine pods shear off too easily.

Flawless completion: The Skycar not only survived, but went on to complete the Island VTOL race in the same flight.

This video is an engineering demonstration of the craft completing the challenges. My pilots have not practiced the run to find the fastest time possible. Craft and aero are stock. Time of completion was 8:07.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is mine. Design was not a problem but learning to fly that last 300 metres was tough. Anyways, this plane uses parachutes for slowing down and landing. Reusability condition is fulfilled because parachutes can be repacked and set in a stage sequence again. Mods used: FAR, B9, KER, pWings. With 1 minute 42 seconds I think it's a new best time. Sorry Darren :(

Low_Flyer_Elite.jpg

Since it appears nobody wants to do my airship challenge, I've decided to become a blimp gate-crasher. You wanna heavy flyer? I gots blimps. Big Blimps!

190 meters long

38 meters wide

92,751 units of fuel

709.9 tons

And 27 of that is water ballast I didn't even need.

And it flies too.

And it's got wingy things too so I says it's an aeroplane...

And it took me almost 30 minutes to get there too. So I get the slow prize!

So there. Gate crashed... :P

And I can makes em LOTS bigger too!

(walks off muttering) *Nobody wanna do my challenge, I'll blimp everyone else's challenge.*

Mods: Procedural Airships, Procedural Tanks, LLL, KAS and Karbonite (for the LF turboprops).

Airship15.jpg

Airship16.jpg

Airship17.jpg

Airship18.jpg

And if you somehow think this was easy to do with this behemoth, it took me two tries. The first one, I landed too hard and it bounced 40 meters straight up.

Edited by Fengist

Hey there guys, sorry for the absence, family and work kept me away. Time to update the listings for completions :-)

Congrats to the following:

-Torquimedes with the Moller Skycar with the titles for: Flawless Completion and Lowest Altitude at 0m.

-Viktor with a modded flawless completion using: FAR, B9, KER, pWings. Also setting the Fastest time at 1:42.

-ghostbuzzer7 with an apparent flawless completion.

-Fengist with his Gate Crashing airship using: Procedural Airships, Procedural Tanks, LLL, KAS, and Karbonite. Congrats for the Heaviest Craft title and Flawless Completion.

Thank you all for partaking in my challenge, your entries have all been added in. I'm amazed at how long it has continued to last.

Well, since this seems so much fun, I want in too. :)

I think I got flawless and lowest altitude. I have MechJeb to show me the precise vertical speed, but not using it for anything else. Also I don't think MechJeb is precise enough with jet engines to be able to fly this challenge anyway (didn't test).

And in case someone looks and thinks "I want that plane" - download link here. Be warned though, it has all kinds of stock aero abuses in it.

Since it appears nobody wants to do my airship challenge, I've decided to become a blimp gate-crasher. You wanna heavy flyer? I gots blimps. Big Blimps!

190 meters long

38 meters wide

92,751 units of fuel

709.9 tons

And 27 of that is water ballast I didn't even need.

And it flies too.

And it's got wingy things too so I says it's an aeroplane...

And it took me almost 30 minutes to get there too. So I get the slow prize!

So there. Gate crashed... :P

And I can makes em LOTS bigger too!

(walks off muttering) *Nobody wanna do my challenge, I'll blimp everyone else's challenge.*

Mods: Procedural Airships, Procedural Tanks, LLL, KAS and Karbonite (for the LF turboprops).

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/Airship15.jpg

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/Airship16.jpg

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/Airship17.jpg

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/Airship18.jpg

And if you somehow think this was easy to do with this behemoth, it took me two tries. The first one, I landed too hard and it bounced 40 meters straight up.

Fengist,

That airship is pretty neat!

For future reference, the more specialized mods are required to participate in a challenge, the less likely it is that people will participate.

For that reason, my challenges have always been either all stock or separate leaderboards for commonly used mods.

Best,

-Slashy

For future reference, the more specialized mods are required to participate in a challenge, the less likely it is that people will participate.

I agree with this. Also, the more mods are present, the further from KSP we venture and thus become less universal in our goals.

There is something to be said for the purist approach.

Although to be honest, this close to the KSP 1.0 launch, I think that most challenges will fall by the wayside for a few days while people get used to the new world order of KSP "The Full Game".

Congrats to juzeris for completion of the Low Flyer Elite with lowest altitude title and flawless completion.

And I will be shutting this challenge down upon the release of 1.0 due to the lack of free time and the major changes to the game. If anyone wants to revive the challenge at that point I encourage it and support it completely.

Fengist,

That airship is pretty neat!

For that reason, my challenges have always been either all stock or separate leaderboards for commonly used mods.

Best,

-Slashy

Yea... I know Slashy. But I found that mod and thot it so cool, I wanted to share. Apparently, it was like trying to share black jelly beans.

Fun challenge Gen... loved crashing it with my 'hot air'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.