[0.90] [WIP] 2.5m Resource Tanks

Snarfster

UPDATE 2015.03.02: This going to be a series of texture switched resource tanks. The plan is to provide RCS, LiquidFuel and a selection from the community resource pack. As I can't update the thread title, this note will have to do.

UPDATE 2015.03.02: Just realized that you CAN change the title if you "go advanced"... Screenshot of the current status has been added at the end.

UPDATE 2015.03.04: Latest status can be found here.

I've noticed that during refuelling the stock 2.5m RCS tank just isn't big enough for me.

This is something I am working on.

2.5m RCS tanks, size comparable to the Rockomax X200 series.

Very early work-in-progress screenshot:

sH4JJFg.png

Still debating whether to keep the inset as it is right now or put a spherical tank in there.

Edited by Snarfster

Question: Happen to have a link to Ven's 2.5m RCS? :)

Debating what to do, I like them both. Could imagine eventually texture switching them with firespitter to work with the community resource pack as well.

First things first though :)

Thanks. In the end I've gone for a rounded cylinder for the tank. Also to keep a somewhat normal collision mesh.

Fighting with the textures now. (Planning on using the texture switching from firespitter to use the tank for the community resource pack).

Work had me busy for a while so it took a while to iron out the errors in the mesh and the textures.

Below is the tentative final product next to the stock tank it is equally sized to.

HdO8bQF.png

Decided to go the texture switching way, so it'll be a series of "stock-ish" resource tanks for the community resource pack.

Will update the first post and title to match this.

EDIT: the actual tank, inside the frame, is made to look weathered.

Looking good so far!

LiquidFuel only and MonoPropellant tanks.

http://i.imgur.com/O3hE05v.png

It might be a good idea to use standardized colors for stock resources. I believe KSPX uses blue for Oxidizer, yellow for MonoProp and grey for LiquidFuel:

mcJAEuV.png

If you want to sample the exact colors of the textures, you can use taniwha's Blender .mu import/export addon to extract the KSPX part textures and resave them from MBM to the more editable PNG.

Thank you!

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think the colour has to be "exactly" the same. Like real life, small deviations should exist ;)

I'll have a look at that tomorrow. (Nearly midnight and need to be up for work at 6).

BTW, there's some texture tools around as well that convert the mbm textures to png without even having to open Blender. I found the link on these forums somewhere.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think the colour has to be "exactly" the same. Like real life, small deviations should exist ;)

Yep. In fact, you could probably just sample the color directly from the screenshot, and it would probably work just fine.

Alright, been busy again. Current progress:

Mgq1RCa.png

Left stack from top to bottom: MonoPropellant, LiquidFuel, Minerals, Ore

Middle stack from top to bottom: Substrate, Water, Karbonite, Chemicals

Right stack from top to bottom: Metal, Polymers, RocketParts

Colors were picked to match RoverDude's FTT Kontainers.

To be done:

* Decide whether to split the CRP resources to a separate tank so it won't clash with the stock resources.

* Add TAC LS resources. Plan is: Balanced for non-scrubber and scrubber equipped craft. (This may also end up as a separate tank.)

* Collision mesh tweaking. (done)

* Add the double sized tanks.

* If I split the tanks, figure out if I can prevent them loading if you are missing the appropriate mod. (with module manager).

* Add the quad sized tanks.

* Add the half sized tanks.

Resource volumes (and prices) have been checked and double-checked. If you empty the tank in the VAB, you end up with just the bare tank cost.

(Never realized how cheap water is in the community resource pack.)

Edited by Snarfster

• 2 months later...

Hi! Just popping in to say i appreciate this parts pack.

I was wondering why there are so few tanks packs for CRP, most of them are available inside USI, Interstellar, TACLS and similar addons and are limited in by grouping resources, no individual resources are available.

Having tanks parts pack is welcome change ! One note : if it is not too much trouble can TweakScale be supported if you or someone else makes MM patches for it ?

Edited by fatcargo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.