[0.90][Part] Jasper Aerospace Technologies ISRU Pack

Kalloran

faFd0NH.png

Jasper Aerospace Technologies

V0.1

Overview

So after going through both Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars series and Andy Weir's The Martian, I started getting the idea to design an ISRU to facilitate turning the planetary resources of Duna (specifically) into something useable, namely fuel. After some Wikipedia learning and, more extensively, Blender/Unity learning, I began building this ISRU. Currently it is useable on Kerbin, Laythe, and Duna. I am looking for feedback!

Concept of Operations

Using the Sabatier Process, this ISRU uses electricity and a catalyst to convert CO2 into CH4, which for the purposes of KSP, is Liquid Fuel.

4H2 + CO2 => CH4 + 2H2O

The module also offers the capability to convert the H2O back into molecular Hydrogen and Oxygen via electrolysis. For the purposes of KSP, the Oxygen is Oxidizer and the Hydrogen may be re-used in the Sabatier Process. The core part is a 2.5m device (TweakScale compatable) and is internally capable of refilling the 1/4 size 2.5m Rockomax tanks. You need a fuel pipe going from the ISRU to the tank!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Requirements

CommunityResourcePack, by RoverDude

Regolith, by RoverDude

Built-in Compatibilities

TweakScale

Deadly Reentry

ATM

Way Forward

- Finishing touches (fine-tune price, tech required, weight...add description)

- Custom H2 Tanks

- Oxidizer to Oxygen conversion module (so Oxidizer can be used for Life Support)

- Radially-attach-able converter

- Possible issues with CO2 resource configs....

Acknowledgements

A HUGE thanks to all the people who posted Blender and Unity tutorials. Also a big thanks to RoverDude for the development and maintenance of Regolith and the CommunityResourcePack, without which, this part pack would not be possible.

Link

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/652/Jasper%20Aerospace%20Technologies

License

Jasper Aerospace Technologies is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Edited by Kalloran

Looks promising but I'm getting a

"Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

From the Kerbalstuff link

Interesting. Standby one. Troubleshooting.

UPDATE: Stupid me...I forgot to publish the mod. Fixed that, logged out of Kerbal Stuff, navigated to the mod page, and re-copied the link. Try it again.

Edited by Kalloran

Working now - Thanks

Gave it a quick spin - a couple notes:

I put this on top of a LFO tank - it did not require a fuel pipe when stacked inline.

This doesn't give free fuel - would require a hydrogen source - probably water - I like that.

You have a alternate resource file for CO2 - might this mess with other mods that use CO2?

I believe the joint strength is related to the node size and you have your top and bottom node as zero sized nodes - a quick look at a few other 2.5m parts and it looks like most (not all) of them are size 2.

Nice work!

Edited by wasml

Wasml:

Thanks for the notes:

1. I'll look at the stack configurations. I was changing a LOT in the config in the early design process and maybe I got some things mixed up which made me think that I needed the fuel line.

2. That's the idea!

3. I was basing this off of just CRP and Regolith, which did not appear to have CO2 configs. I'll dig around and see if I can't find some conflicts.

4. Noted. Researching.

Re: the CO2 - The eighth entry in CRP is CO2 - almost exactly the same as yours:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = CarbonDioxide

density = 0.000001951

flowMode = ALL_VESSEL

transfer = PUMP

isTweakable = true

unitCost = 0

}

• 4 weeks later...

The KSP-Interstellar mod already includes the Sabatier Reaction (using realistic chemistry) as well as actually a lot of ISRU reactions (and several more I'm seeking to add, in the latest branch I help develop- KSP Interstellar Extended). We'd love to have your help over there, actually! I've got a long list of ISRU reactions to add to KSP-I, but don't personally have the coding expertise to add them (as it involved modifying the KSP-I .DLL file instead of just configs) and FreeThinker, the other modder/developer who does, seems more interested in crossing other things off his to-do list first...

Take a look at THIS list, and maybe it'll whet your interest a little to help out...

Items 2-8 on that list still haven't yet been implemented in KSP-Interstellar Extended. Note that some of them are actually multiple reactions (such as the ones to produce hypergolics out of Hydrazine and Methane...) Here's the link again:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111159-WIP-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-Extended-0-8-16?p=1790377&viewfull=1#post1790377

Urea Electroylsis (discussed in the update at the bottom of that list) is also a desired reaction, that specifically only activates when both KSP-Interstellar Extended and TAC Life Support are installed- and would allow recycling of WasteWater (from TACLS) into Nitrogen, Hydrogen, and Carbon Dioxide...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.