'Vulcan' - ULA's New Rocket

Woopert

7 hours ago, FishInferno said:

but it might be better to launch several sats together to save costs.

Sometimes, it depends on what the sats are for... this Upcoming SpaceX launch (Orbcomm) has like 9 sats on it.  but it is only useful when you dont mind spending the sats propellant to move orbits around other wise you have a bunch of sats that are close together

I doubt that economical viability was ever questioned for spysats. Logistically, it was probably easy: get carrier group into designated area, wait, catch. But how much it will cost to ULA? Another thing is, how big is "pretty big"? I would expect maybe 100-200 kg capsule with microfilms in it. But the engine? It's supposed to replace RD-180, which weighs more than 5 tonnes. they may cut the mass somewhat, but they will have to add to it as well: shielding (jettisoned?), parachute containers, telemetry and control equipment, support struts for all of the above - so it may result in even higher mass. Catching it will be tricky, you're not supposed to suddenly add 5 tonnes to helicopter mid-flight. (Edit: Chinook itself weighs just over 10 tonnes!)

Edited by J.Random

10 hours ago, Kryten said:

The size of the really big capsules is still classified, but we're talking somewhere in the region of 2,000 pounds.

Sounds like they were de-orbiting the whole adaptive*-focus mirror (I'd suspect they were *that* valuable).  Even using large glass plates, I can't imagine a bunch of negatives (and deorbit rockets, and heat shields, and parachutes...) weighing a literal ton.  I have to wonder if they were still physically sending negatives back by the time they were using adaptive optics (it would take a looong time before CCDs would give better imaging than film).

* I've hear the phrase "adaptive optics" had some serious classification and could only be talked about after the proper "beyond top secret" handshakes were done.

17 hours ago, B787_300 said:

http://spacenews.com/mccain-will-consider-wider-russian-engine-ban/    This might throw a kink in the plans of ULA

Also Putin (or other Russian sources) is not selling for US DoD flights (why the US would use such rockets is another question).  In this thread about the zenit, it mentions a Ukrainian source for much of these rockets (couldn't tell about the motor.  From the sound of it each has parts sourced from both Russia and Ukraine).  Even if the ULA decides to build in Alabama, Ukraine assistance might be the difference in go or no go.

41 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Also Putin (or other Russian sources) is not selling for US DoD flights (why the US would use such rockets is another question).  In this thread about the zenit, it mentions a Ukrainian source for much of these rockets (couldn't tell about the motor.  From the sound of it each has parts sourced from both Russia and Ukraine).  Even if the ULA decides to build in Alabama, Ukraine assistance might be the difference in go or no go.

Most parts of the Zenit are built in the Ukraine, such as the tanks, fairings, etc. (This is why Antares has a similar core to Zenit). NPO Energomash produces the RD-171M. RD-120 was designed by Energomash but it is currently produced by Yuzhmash in the Ukraine. I'm pretty sure the modern versions of the Block-D are produced in Russia. 

3 hours ago, wumpus said:

Actually it makes no difference, 

Pub. L. 113–291, div. A, title XVI, §1608, Dec. 19, 2014, 128 Stat. 3626 , provided that:

"(a) In General.-Except as provided by subsections (b) and (c), beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act [Dec. 19, 2014], the Secretary of Defense may not award or renew a contract for the procurement of property or services for space launch activities under the evolved expendable launch vehicle program if such contract carries out such space launch activities using rocket engines designed or manufactured in the Russian Federation.

5 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

So now they are allowed to launch government payloads in AV?!

Yes, DOD and otherwise. Vulcan is probably still happening though, but at a lower pace, as it needs to reduce costs, something Atlas V will have trouble doing on its own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.