1.0 - Settings not persisting across game reloads

Since upgrading to 1.0 last night (via Steam; 32-bit KSP apparently) , I've had an issue where whatever I put as Settings persist during the game session, but are re-set to defaults when I restart the game. This most obviously manifests as the screen resolution resetting (from my preferred 1920x1080 to the default 1280x720) , but also the Music comes back after being reset to 0% volume, and my Joystick mappings reset to defaults.

It appears - from looking at the User Directory - the game is correctly writing settings.cfg but, on game start, it's not reading it and then just writing defaults again.

Possibly related (and possibly not...), occasionally clicking the "Assign Axis" button in Settings to (re-)set my joystick axis just blanks out all options and doesn't pop-up the mini-dialog to assign an axis.

I've tried deleting the game (Steam's "Remote Local Content") and re-installing, I've removed the local directory, I've tried deleting just settings.cfg.... none of these has made any difference to this behaviour.

I can't see anything in either KSP.log or Player.log .

System Specs also available if required.

For a moment I thought you'd found it, because I followed the instructions and lo and behold, next reload of the game persisted graphics & sound settings.

But then I re-added my Joystick mappings, and Boom, restart caused all the settings to be lost.

Did I read in the changelog that the way Joysticks are enumerated has changed in 1.0? I suspect that's got a relation to this issue: If I don't add any Joystick Axis bindings to my configuration, my config persists across game reloads. As soon as I add a mapping, the next game restart causes the config to reset to defaults.

I was going to create another thread but the title of this post is correct for my case : "settings are not saved across game reload" ... in fact, not all settings.

PROBLEM: Some Settings are saved when some other not.

NOT A PROBLEM (my case): log files and other stuff work well and are well stored.

Here is a list of settings that are well stored across game reload:

+ Graphics : Render Quality Level

+ Input : All (at least keyboard settings, I have no joystick)

All other settings are not saved.

More strange stuff:

+ Starting popup "KSP Stats Tracking" settings are always shown.

File system permission checked recursively on all KSP files: at least r/w for user/group and +x on directories and binaries.

Finally, I remember this problem was already there in past KSP releases, fixed on 0.90, but I can't tell on which old release.

Regards.

- - - Updated - - -

Using LC_ALL=C before command solves my problems.

You may try in Steam, editing the Launch options of KSP game :

- Right-click on KSP game entry

- Properties

- SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... with value: LC_ALL=C %command%

May be ...

Same problem on Windows FYI.

The strange thing is, that despite the settings in the menu reverting to their defaults, most of the custom settings seem to load correctly. Keeping the settings.cfg open in Notepad++, I can see the resolution options change back to 1280x720 when I exit the game, but the game still loads in 1920x1080.

It's as though the game is being run for the first time, and the defaults, including the popup asking for anonymous data to be submitted, are attempting to load.

Edited by Frankenchokey

I was going to create another thread but the title of this post is correct for my case : "settings are not saved across game reload" ... in fact, not all settings.

PROBLEM: Some Settings are saved when some other not.

NOT A PROBLEM (my case): log files and other stuff work well and are well stored.

Here is a list of settings that are well stored across game reload:

+ Graphics : Render Quality Level

+ Input : All (at least keyboard settings, I have no joystick)

All other settings are not saved.

More strange stuff:

+ Starting popup "KSP Stats Tracking" settings are always shown.

File system permission checked recursively on all KSP files: at least r/w for user/group and +x on directories and binaries.

Finally, I remember this problem was already there in past KSP releases, fixed on 0.90, but I can't tell on which old release.

Regards.

- - - Updated - - -

Using LC_ALL=C before command solves my problems.

You may try in Steam, editing the Launch options of KSP game :

- Right-click on KSP game entry

- Properties

- SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... with value: LC_ALL=C %command%

May be ...

The strange thing is, that despite the settings in the menu reverting to their defaults, most of the custom settings seem to load correctly. Keeping the settings.cfg open in Notepad++, I can see the resolution options change back to 1280x720 when I exit the game, but the game still loads in 1920x1080.

It's as though the game is being run for the first time, and the defaults, including the popup asking for anonymous data to be submitted, are attempting to load.

I can confirm the symptoms described above to be also present on windows. Setting the launch options did not solve my problem on windows steam, unfortunately.

This is a confirmed bug, so no need for additional reporting. The reason it does this is that the game replaces the current settings file with the default one it keeps stored *somewhere* but I don't remember where. My usual hotfix is to edit the settings.cfg file manually but I am unsure if this consistently solves the problem

This is a confirmed bug, so no need for additional reporting. The reason it does this is that the game replaces the current settings file with the default one it keeps stored *somewhere* but I don't remember where. My usual hotfix is to edit the settings.cfg file manually but I am unsure if this consistently solves the problem

Could you please be more specific? The only settings.cfg I have found is in my KSP main directory. Does the one you're refering to have a different name?

Also, is this bug in the bug tracker? I was looking around for it before posting, but couldn't find anything about it, hence this reporting here.

- - - Updated - - -

My temporary solution is to delete settings.cfg from the KSP main folder and let KSP create a new one. I also added a settings.cfg.bak to the launcherdata folder (with my settings; although I am not sure this is part of the solution).

Edited by Andy81le

The settings.cfg.bak file is the file I was talking about. For some reason KSP sometimes reverts to that file even with the settings.cfg defined. The bug has been reported (somewhere on the public tracker probably since this issue has been around for awhile now), but if it is not on the public tracker don't fret, it has been reported elsewhere.

Just for clarity: This issue / bug isn't resolved by the V1.0.1 patch (v1.0.1.840), at least on my system.

The same behaviour applies:

* Configure game settings without joystick mappings -> Settings preserved across game restarts.

* Configure game settings with joystick mappings -> Settings revert to first-install defaults when the game restarts.

Just for clarity: This issue / bug isn't resolved by the V1.0.1 patch (v1.0.1.840), at least on my system.

The same behaviour applies:

* Configure game settings without joystick mappings -> Settings preserved across game restarts.

* Configure game settings with joystick mappings -> Settings revert to first-install defaults when the game restarts.

Just curious, what kind of joystick are you (and others) using when encountering this problem? I ask because I am wondering if it has to do with all joystick mapping, or perhaps is somehow connected to sticks/pads that power on/off such as wireless controllers?

More specifically, I'm wondering if it is the changes in connected and mapped controllers that is causing an issue?

Just curious, what kind of joystick are you (and others) using when encountering this problem? I ask because I am wondering if it has to do with all joystick mapping, or perhaps is somehow connected to sticks/pads that power on/off such as wireless controllers?

More specifically, I'm wondering if it is the changes in connected and mapped controllers that is causing an issue?

I'm using a USB connected (=wired) Saitek Cyborg Evo (Or, as OS X and therefore KSP wants to label it, "Saitek Cyborg USB Stick"). That wouldn't immediately invalidate your hypothesis if I'd unplugged/replugged between launches (I believe there are device numbers that increment on OS X on every plug, reset on reboot).

However I've exposed this settings-resetting behaviour when relaunching without unplugging/replugging too (so there's absolutely nothing, from an OS perspective, different in configuration between game launches).

I did a little bit more experimenting with this, but still can't quite pinpoint the cause. I had both a logitech F710 and Thrustmaster T16000m attached originally. I removed the F710 from, mapped some axes and buttons to the T16000m. Shutdown KSP and restarted a few times with no issue.

Then reattached the F710 and tried to assign some buttons to it, which mostly worked (had the issue with the accept dialog never appearing on the axis), but buttons worked fine.

Relaunched KSP a few times, no issue with settings reverting to default. T16000m was assigned to Input id =0 and F710 =1.

So I tried unplugging the T16000m, restarted KSP and got the reset to default issue again. Checking the settings.cfg, the Logitech as again assigned to Input Device 0 and the T16000 was no longer listed.

While this reset to default happened right after I changed the devices, it could just be coincidence. Will keep trying to see if I get similar results.

Hello all,

I am having the same problem, running Windows 7 with a MS Sidewinder joystick. Even applying the settings without the joystick, then launching without the joystick result in settings, uh, resetting. For example, I launched the game and set the graphics to full screen, then quit and immediately relaunched the game and the settings reset again.

Hi guys, we found what was causing this on Linux, it may help you as well.

This was affecting players using a non-English operating system language, it can be worked around by using English or forcing the game to use either English or Posix.

On Linux this is done by starting KSP with "LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86", OS X may also have the LC command as it's from Unix, so it's worth trying.

http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/07/10/setting-locales-correctly-on-mac-osx-terminal-application/

Your current settings.cfg will need to be deleted and you'll either need to use the above each time, make a script or add "LC_ALL=C %command%" to your Steam properties for KSP.

Could you please be more specific? The only settings.cfg I have found is in my KSP main directory. Does the one you're refering to have a different name?

Also, is this bug in the bug tracker? I was looking around for it before posting, but couldn't find anything about it, hence this reporting here.

- - - Updated - - -

My temporary solution is to delete settings.cfg from the KSP main folder and let KSP create a new one. I also added a settings.cfg.bak to the launcherdata folder (with my settings; although I am not sure this is part of the solution).

I started having this issue after making controls for Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 8.1. Switched to Xbox One controller since and copied my settings settings.cfg to the settings.cfg.bak in the launcher_data folder and this seems to have fixed it for me as well so thanks for the fix.

Note: I tried with Xbox One controller without the settings.cfg.bak fix and the problem persisted so I think the controller change unrelated to the fix

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I started getting this issue after setting up controls for my Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 8.1.

I did more or less the same thing as you for a fix. Copied the text from my settings.cfg to the settings.cfg.bak in the launcher_data folder. This seems to have solved the problem for me so thanks for the fix :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.