Engineers and dV

soulsource

I've been reading some accounts of Apollo missions, and it's clear to me that some things were almost done in reverse to KSP.

1: The "spam in a can" line from the Mercury astronauts: The capsule could very well have been completely automatic. Remember the chimpanzees? Even in the Apollo days. the flight to orbit was automated. The pilot was a back-up

2: No probes in KSP: there were dozens of probes before a single man left Earth, but successes were infrequent in 1958.

The way the tech tree works is better, but I think the parts availability is sometimes a bit bizarre.

Oh, I didn't know that Squad was planning on NOT making it a VAB readout. I must have missed the memo where Squad said this.

Hmmmm passive agressive much? Here you go..

From the very first post from OP of this thread.

Since common sense says that you don't use kerbals while in VAB or SPH.. I take his little hint as its another Trait for engineers.. In flight.. :sticktongue:

Seems silly that I'd have to load the vessel on the launchpad with an Engineer to know the delta-v, when it should be visible as I'm building it. Otherwise, what would stop me from loading each stage individually on the launchpad with the engineer to get the information I need? And in that case, it's just promoting completely pointless tedium. Reminds me of having to load a vessel on the launchpad to see its total mass (before the vessel info app was added to the VAB).

Exactly.

Edited by malkuth

Hmmmm passive agressive much? Here you go..

Because that came to fruition. As I said: I'll believe it when I see it.

edit: I'm not doubting we'll get some sort of readout. I just doubt it will have the necessary complexity.

edit: I actually really like 1.0. The additions are great. It's what was left out that's irritating.

Edited by klgraham1013

I've been reading some accounts of Apollo missions, and it's clear to me that some things were almost done in reverse to KSP.

[...]

The way the tech tree works is better, but I think the parts availability is sometimes a bit bizarre.

I think its fair to wonder about other ways of arranging the tech tree, and Squad may move parts around in later versions. But one thing that is not likely to change, are manned missions as the first steps in Career. I think we have to write our own backstory about all the cardboard tubes and sounding rockets that lead up to the first "RT-5" flight in 1.0 career.

I enjoy the game much less without easily available dV and TWR information, I only play without a mod that provides it when testing whether some odd bug is present in an unmodded install. They are the most important numbers in spacecraft design.

Guys, OP asked for no discussion about the matter here. We're repeating ourselfs.

OP: In the recent AMA on Reddit, Maxmaps explained that dV readouts (and hopefully thermal readouts) was a part of the skillsets of engineers that they were developing. Since the new skillsystem isn't 100% done, they decided to leave it out of 1.0. It will come in a future update though.

I don't care too much about in-game ∆v display, because in my right hand I wield the Equation of Tsiolkovsky and in my left the Slide Rule of my Grandfather, so I can easily calculate ∆v myself... but I would really appreciate it if the VAB and SPH interface could display center of drag as well as center of mass, center of lift, and center of thrust.

I don't care too much about in-game ∆v display, because in my right hand I wield the Equation of Tsiolkovsky and in my left the Slide Rule of my Grandfather, so I can easily calculate ∆v myself... but I would really appreciate it if the VAB and SPH interface could display center of drag as well as center of mass, center of lift, and center of thrust.

Does Slashy have an alt account?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.