KSP 1.0 Startup Whitewindow crash.

After updating, KSP refuses to launch. I launch the game, the game window pops up completely white and immediately stops responding. About 5-10 seconds later it stops working and closes.

I've preformed clean-reinstalls of both the game and my graphics driver.

No crashlog is generated.

Have tried whitelisting the game on my Antivirus, it is not interfering.

Am running the Steam version, have tried running it both through steam, and directly launching the executable.

System Specs:

Acer Aspire V

i5-4200U 1.6 GHz CPU

12Gb RAM

4Gb nVidia GT 750M GPU(latest driver)

Win 8 64-bit

0.90 ran fine. Really want to try out 1.0

Hi Voodoomancer, is the laptop plugged in and not on a powersave mode ?

Plugged in, high-preformance mode. I've played KSP unplugged before, though. The game doesn't tax my system that much, before the update it ran perfectly at something like 40-60 fps (depending on extravagance of current vessel). After the update, it simply refuses to launch properly. Are there any other frameworks or drivers that I might be missing? My GPU driver's up to date.

It should just work, I was concerned the laptop was on a low power mode and nerfing your graphics card.

This isn't something that's come up before unfortunately so may be specific to your machine, and while there are no crash logs, KSP makes a KSP.log in the main folder and a more detailed output_log.txt in the KSPData folder.

Can you put those on dropbox please?

Can you put those on dropbox please?

KSP.log

output_log.txt

Might try to download the game directly from the KSP website, see if that makes a difference. (yes, I bought it on both there and steam)

EDIT: "GPU: Intel® HD Graphics Family (3072MB)"

Is that supposed to be like that, or is the game failing to pick up the graphics driver?

Edited by Voodoomancer

It's detecting the wrong card, the Nvidia may be disabled either in the bios or in the powersave options, lots of laptops with Nvidia or AMD cards have an Intel as well specifically for non-gaming/extended battery life.

It's detecting the wrong card, the Nvidia may be disabled either in the bios or in the powersave options, lots of laptops with Nvidia or AMD cards have an Intel as well specifically for non-gaming/extended battery life.

I've set the nVidia control panel manually to run KSP.exe using the GPU instead of autodetecting, and the game is appearing on the GPU activity monitor when launched. The log, however, hasn't changed, and the startup problem remains unchanged.

Can you disable the Intel card in the bios / uefi ?

Not sure how to do that, and slightly scared of messing with basic systems since I'm not a computer guru, and very careful by nature.

As a sidenote, the KSPlauncher.exe is having the same problem, though I've never used the launcher anyway.

Extra sidenote: non-steam version makes no difference. Issue persists.

Edited by Voodoomancer

Hmm, it's been ages since I had to mess with Windows run box, can you add " -adapter 1" without quotes to the target box of a shortcut to KSP ?

Also I think it's "C:\Games\KSP_win\KSP.exe -adapter 1"

That just tells me that "C:\Games\KSP_win\KSP.exe -adapter 1" doesn't exist.

Tried adding it as a launch option on the steam version, no effect.

Okay, can you run dxdiag and check your graphics card is active ?

I believe it is. Actually, I think the nVidia card might be identifying as an intel card. The tool only shows one GPU, and the nVidia GPU activity tool reports it is running the game when I launch it (until it crashes).

Okay, everything seemed to point to either the Nvidia graphics driver not being installed / old, or the current powersave setting isn't set correctly and is not letting you use the Nvidia.

But, it turns out this may be a Unity issue, please see here.

I have found out that in DirectX 11 Unity is not detecting my Nvidia card. This is from the editor log:

Initialize engine version: 4.5.5f1 (7684ad0c5a44)

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

Direct3D: Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]

Renderer: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (ID=0x416) Vendor: Intel

VRAM: 0 MB

When I switch to DirectX 9 in player settings the card is properly detected:

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1 Direct3D: Version: Direct3D 9.0c [nvumdshim.dll 9.18.13.4460]

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M

Vendor: NVIDIA

VRAM: 3072 MB (via DXGI)

Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 RAWZ=

Although this does not account for your dxdiag, which should detect the Nvidia.

Edited by sal_vager

You may need to force the combo card to run KSP.exe with the nVidia chip.

Open nVidia Control Panel.

Expand "3D Settings" if it's not.

Click "Manage 3d Settings"

Click "Program Settings" tab.

Find or add KSP.exe to the drop-down list.

Choose "Hi-Performance NVidia" from the 2. dropdown.

See if that defaults you to the NVidia now.

Cheers

Okay, everything seemed to point to either the Nvidia graphics driver not being installed / old, or the current powersave setting isn't set correctly and is not letting you use the Nvidia.

But, it turns out this may be a Unity issue, please see here.

Although this does not account for your dxdiag, which should detect the Nvidia.

Cannot find any options in the power settings more detailed than picking what various things do on/off battery. Nothing to pick a GPU

You may need to force the combo card to run KSP.exe with the nVidia chip.

Open nVidia Control Panel.

Expand "3D Settings" if it's not.

Click "Manage 3d Settings"

Click "Program Settings" tab.

Find or add KSP.exe to the drop-down list.

Choose "Hi-Performance NVidia" from the 2. dropdown.

See if that defaults you to the NVidia now.

Cheers

Did that already, made no difference. Opened the panel again to check if there were any more options, and it crashed D:

Also, apparently, right clicking the Kerbal shortcut is supposed to give the option to run with the Nvidia (no idea if this works).

Update:

More info on your issue.

Right click -> run with GPU is an option, problem persists.

Trying stuff from that link. The system resolution thing actually shows both intel and nVidia, so I DO at least have it confirmed that there's two GPUs going.

The Nvidia should still be the card detected in dxdiag, you mention having the latest driver but there may have been an issue when installing it.

With Windows I was always told to uninstall the driver, reboot, install the new driver and reboot again, failing to reboot prevents the driver installing correctly.

The Nvidia should still be the card detected in dxdiag, you mention having the latest driver but there may have been an issue when installing it.

With Windows I was always told to uninstall the driver, reboot, install the new driver and reboot again, failing to reboot prevents the driver installing correctly.

I'll try that. Also, another thing:

Tried launching Cities:Skylines. It launches with the nVidia GPU, as normal. However, now there's a big green and white "PHYSX > CPU" overlayed in the corner. I'm starting to get scared I'm f*ing something up.

UPDATE: nVidia control panel now crashes on startup. AAH!

Hmm, that sounds familiar, I think I've seen something similar to that but on AMD hardware, and with their experimental driver, the current stable driver at the time was fine though.

This should be the correct driver for you.

For the uninstall -> reboot -> install -> reboot, should I also uninstall the physX driver?

Edited by Voodoomancer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.