Question: How much power do I have over the contents of my fuel tanks?

I really appreciate how the nuclear rockets don't use LOX anymore, since it never made any sense to me. However, I now find myself wishing I could replace the LOX in some of the tanks with fuel rather than just emptying them.

dnhmaw.jpg

Using the stock-like Modular Rocket Systems Part Pack

In the above image, I've emptied the oxidizer from the tank that supplies my nuclear engine. Is there any way I can replace the empty space with more liquid fuel? If not, are there any mods that make this possible?

If this has been brought up before I apologize, but I find it really strange that this hasn't been implemented.

Edited by nAssailant

... or, you know, you could use jet fuel tanks? :P

Bit cheaty, but hey, why not.

I would, but I don't have any that are 2.5m. That, and placing ~4 of the smaller tanks would cause all sorts of problems with this particular rocket design. (The kind that would cause it to fly apart arbitrarily :rolleyes:)

I know this sounds like a canned response. But in reality that is not possible. The tanks are completely different and the plumbing for those tanks would not support that. :)

Hah, I guess that would make sense if this were real life, but since Kerbals are able to construct and deploy new rocket designs in a matter of minutes I don't see why some simple plumbing would cause them problems. :wink:

Edited by nAssailant

I know this sounds like a canned response. But in reality that is not possible. The tanks are completely different and the plumbing for those tanks would not support that. :)

Sorry...

A toggle switch would be much easier than giving every tank a liquid-fuel-only reskin though.

I would, but I don't have any that are 2.5m. That, and placing ~4 of the smaller tanks would cause all sorts of problems with this particular rocket design. (The kind that would cause it to fly apart arbitrarily :rolleyes:)

Hah, I guess that would make sense if this were real life, but since Kerbals are able to construct and deploy new rocket designs in a matter of minutes I don't see why some simple plumbing would cause them problems. :wink:

True. :)

Believe Procedural parts supports this.

This should very, very much be the case. I'm missing the B9 modpack a lot because those pieces could all be whatever you wanted them to be. The same part could be configured to be Mono, LF, LFO.. whatever you want. It was especially nice because you could build a plane and then reconfigure the tanks for whatever the mission required without totally rebuilding the plane from the ground up. Just right click the tank in the hanger and click next tank setup and you're good.

Basically infinite power, you can change anything about a part (that is in the part.cfg) mid-flight by editing persistent.sfs (Even modifying the vessel.sfs is fine); so, from a modding standpoint, we can do this again by editing the vessel directly and letting it save with changes.

For the tank sizes that don't have a fuel-only alternative, you could make your own pretty easily by making a copy of the part directory and tweaking its .cfg to hold only fuel and no oxidizer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.