Look rotation viewing vector is zero => Black screen

I used to play KSP on my archlinux through Steam, and everything was working perfectly a few mounts ago

This week end I anted to try the new 1.0 release with all the cool stuff in it.

Steam updates my game correctly, it launches, I get to the main menu, setup a new game, create my vessel ... all that without any issue

The trouble starts when I decide to push my vesel on the launch pad. I can see it here for a few seconds and as soon as the physics has loaded my screen turns black with only the interface still being visible. If y try to go to the orbital view (M) the background is visible but not kerbing

Capture_d_cran_de_2015_05_02_21_15_42.jpg

I tried changing / resseting my graphical options, deleting temporary files, running without optirun, but that solves nothing.

~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log contains :

XError: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) (error 3, opcode 15/0, serial 56330, XID 0020004a, display 0x3213240
XError: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) (error 9, opcode 14/0, serial 56331, XID 0020004a, display 0x3213240
Look rotation viewing vector is zero

(Filename: Line: 70)

How can I solve that ?

I too have had an issue where the log shows "look rotation viewing vector is zero" Playing the Steam release version of Kerbal on Windows. Playing career mode a rocket took off, orbited Kerbal, and landed back on the surface. Got pilot out for an EVA and he falls off the command module. Shortly after he hits the ground, screen goes mostly blank grey. Some of the hud contols are still there. I revert back to the space flight center, but am treated to a view of the stars and milky way. I can pan this around partially, but am unable to do anything else. The debug/cheat panel under log just scrolls: "look rotation viewing vector is zero" Checking the performance tab shows that the game is still churning away and memory is accumulating on the heap. Re-loading the saved game had no effect.

• 4 weeks later...

I just experienced this issue when exiting a spaceplane on version 1.0.2. I had the same error in the debug log and deleting settings.cfg resolved the issue (Luckily) :) This is on Windows, so it's not platform specific.

Edited by Time Sheep

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue here. When I load a (some, not all) craft from the tracking station, the craft, hud and everything else appears normally, but a few seconds later the screen goes black. And then appears the KJR physics load, or something like that. On the debug console, I have lots of `looking rotation viewing vector is zero`, `dT is NaN! tA: NaN, errors related to some mods. 

Anyone found any fix?

I`m running KSP version 1.1.3 64bits, CKAN with lots of mods. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.