Tourist would like to go on a suborbital flight of the Sun

CorBlimey

Just to clarify, that tourist is paying 160,000 funds to dive into the sun, not 15,000. The fare of the whole tour is weighted 75% towards the recovery of the tourist, the other 25% gets split evenly amongst the destinations. So the player gets partial credit as he goes through the tour, but is heavily encouraged to...you know...keep the tourist alive.

Also, suborbit of the sun just means that you need to have a suborbital trajectory, not necessarily that you have to physically dive in. Think of these tourists more like thrill seekers. :P

Just to clarify, that tourist is paying 160,000 funds to dive into the sun, not 15,000. The fare of the whole tour is weighted 75% towards the recovery of the tourist, the other 25% gets split evenly amongst the destinations. So the player gets partial credit as he goes through the tour, but is heavily encouraged to...you know...keep the tourist alive.

Also, suborbit of the sun just means that you need to have a suborbital trajectory, not necessarily that you have to physically dive in. Think of these tourists more like thrill seekers. :P

I'm guessing there might be a way to slingshot yourself to a suborbital away from the sun then arrange for recapture at another body either on the way up or down, in order to save on dV. Still, they'd have to pay a lot more for me to even consider planning such a thing. What I'm saying is: you've made tourists quite cheap kerbals. Where are the Kerbal millionaires? :P

All the jokes are fun, but coming from a technical background I think boring like this: If they did not check to disallow suborbital tourists on the sun, they probably did not check to disallow just quickly becoming suborbital and then orbital again. So you should be able to get your AP outside Jool, then near it burn to lower your PE into the sun, get the contract and raise your PE back to a sane height. Say Kerbin for straight recovering, or Eve for a gravity assist to Kerbin.

That's all conjecture though. Last time I confirmedly reached orbit was in 0.90. (I maybe did once in 1.0, but the game crashed just about that moment so it's possible I did not.)

All the jokes are fun, but coming from a technical background I think boring like this: If they did not check to disallow suborbital tourists on the sun, they probably did not check to disallow just quickly becoming suborbital and then orbital again. So you should be able to get your AP outside Jool, then near it burn to lower your PE into the sun, get the contract and raise your PE back to a sane height. Say Kerbin for straight recovering, or Eve for a gravity assist to Kerbin.

That's all conjecture though. Last time I confirmedly reached orbit was in 0.90. (I maybe did once in 1.0, but the game crashed just about that moment so it's possible I did not.)

Orbit > Suborbit dip > Orbit is fine for these contracts. I think it was more just a funny thing to read. Plus, at a minimum, it would take the dV to get to Jool + a bit more, to do this. On the other hand, I get 600k funds for just pointing a hitchhiker can + cupola into a Kerbin escape trajectory on some SRBs.

You should try KSP again - the current patch is a lot more like 0.90 than 1.0. The atmosphere is quite fun, but I wish the reentry heating was more dangerous.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :D

Reminds me of a mission to test and aerospike in a solar orbit. The hight was around 2 trillion kilometer and i was supposed to get it correct with a margin of around 3k. Still easy to do with a bit of care, but I guess the sun is just treated similar to other planets.

Then again, it's a nice gag and Squad probably should just leave it in.

Orbit > Suborbit dip > Orbit is fine for these contracts. I think it was more just a funny thing to read. Plus, at a minimum, it would take the dV to get to Jool + a bit more, to do this. On the other hand, I get 600k funds for just pointing a hitchhiker can + cupola into a Kerbin escape trajectory on some SRBs.

You should try KSP again - the current patch is a lot more like 0.90 than 1.0. The atmosphere is quite fun, but I wish the reentry heating was more dangerous.

Funny is always good. :) I just wanted to spell the solution out in case someone came in to read this thread with hopes of getting actual help with those contracts.

But, to try KSP again? Never! I'd have to quit KSP first! :D I just get so little play time between family, work, studies and sleep that so far I have only got one shot at reaching space in 1.0.2 and failed at that too! But I'll get there eventually, provided that the atmosphere remains reasonably stable for a while. :)

I wonder if you finish the other two trips first, then put them on the suborbital trip of sun if it counts as complete and you get the whole amount. If so, then you can leave them behind :P (Sorry! No refunds!)

And for anyone who has tried reaching the Sun knows just how hard it is so I would argue that the payout of those contracts should probably be over 500,000 funds each.

That is the only thing I can say about this contract. It is doable, but the payout is too little to be interesting.

And for anyone who has tried reaching the Sun knows just how hard it is so I would argue that the payout of those contracts should probably be over 500,000 funds each.

Yeah, easier said than done. I decline these contracts.

Gah! I just accidentally accepted one of these contracts! I'd picked up 3 "ferry four tourists" contracts, all for Mun and Minmus flybys or landings, so the plan was to build a craft to take them all in one go for a merry jaunt around Kerbin's moons. Then a 4th very similar contract appeared also with Mun and Minmus destinations so I thought, fine, I can take 12 in one hit. But I failed to notice that two (idiots) in this last contract also wanted (in addition to Minmus landings) to dive bomb the sun.

So now I either have to do it or suffer the loss of 22 rep points (which tbh isn't too bad I suppose).

So question; If I complete all the other parts of their itineraries (and the other two who have sane itineraries) do I get paid for the parts I complete, or do I have to complete the whole set to get paid?

If I exclude the funds from two Solar-Insanity missions, this 12 tourist mission should earn about 1.9 mil profit, plus most of the craft I've launched for this are fully reusable so to do it again (assuming that type of contract comes up again), will just cost me the refueling fees. I guess I can ear mark some of that profit into sending two of them on a crazed solar mission.

I REALLY think that contracts need some TL-DR pictures!! On the part test ones there should be pictures of the part in question and for this type of contract there should be a picture of the destination planet/moon/freakin'-Star!!

I see no problem with that mission. Minmus will be your refueling stop, then exit SOI retrograde to Kerbin's orbit, dip sub-orbital, correct back to a solar flyby, and catch yourself ten or twelve years later. Easy as pie!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.