PegTop: A full reusable RO (Realism Overhaul) SSTO (Am I the first?)

Hi all,

I'm glad to present my master piece.

PegTop: A full reusable SSTO to deliver payloads up to 30 tons to LEO

Specs:

Delta-V : 9.7 Km/s

Mass: 1100 tons

Main fuel type: Hydro-lox

Main engines: 8 x Soviet RD-0120 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-0120

Landing maneuver engines: 2 x CE-7.5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE-7

RCS fuel type : UDMH+NTO

Javascript is disabled. View full album

That is impressive and very much not what I was expecting (a Skylone lookalike).

Thanks. The most complex part was to survive the re-entry and how to fit the heat shields. I had dozens of fails, when the atmosphere is making you to stop at 7G the smallest thing matters. I would like to try to so something smaller for payloads up to 5 Tons. BTW The Skylone model is pretty cool

When did Real Solarsystem update to 1.0? And how did you even pull that off?! I can't make an SSTO for Stock KSP!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the current Realism Overhaul mod pack only support 0.90. But I'm using FAR which a guess that should be pretty similar to the new aerodynamic model on 1.x?

That's a nice heatshield design!

Did you know, you can try to deploy heatshields on one side a bit less than on the other to create some lifting force during re-entry? Or do you use the small heat shields at the top for this?

That's a nice heatshield design!

Did you know, you can try to deploy heatshields on one side a bit less than on the other to create some lifting force during re-entry? Or do you use the small heat shields at the top for this?

Thanks Sparker! Yes I'm using the small heatshields at the top as spoilers to provide stability. Without them the SSTO is not fully stable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.