What if Kerbin Had Two Moons?

PakledHostage

Coincidentally, I am currently reading a book by Neil F. Comins titled 'What if the Earth had two Moons?' It describes 10 scenarios for alternate 'Earths'. One of those scenarios is the title scenario.

Given that the title scenario is now appropriate to Kerbin, I thought I\'d give the book a plug and share one of the predictions from the book:

The Mun and Minmus will eventually collide. Gravitational effects will cause the Mun\'s orbit to become more elliptical and tidal effects will cause it to spiral outwards over billions of years. The Mun\'s orbit will eventually intercept Minmus\'. When the collision finally happens, the Mun will approach Minmus from behind. One or both of the moons may even crack open prior to the collision.

The collision will appear to occur in slow motion as viewed from Kerbin. To paraphrase Comins, Kerbals on the side of Kerbin facing their moon\'s can 'prepare a jug of their favorite libations, set up a comfy chair and watch the first phases of the event over a period of hours.' Unfortunately for our Kerbals, debris from the impact will fly in all directions including towards Kerbin. The resulting impact events on Kerbin will probably cause mass extinctions.

Eventually, the debris from the collision of the two moons will coalesce into one moon. Debris that wasn\'t blown out of the Kerbin system or into a collision course with Kerbin would at first form a significant ring around Kerbin. 'Within a few years, the densest part of the ring would clump together due to its own gravitational attraction and due to relatively slow collisions between its pieces.' A single moon would grow as it collected more and more of what used to be the Mun and Minmus. 'Eventually this new moon would absorb the remaining ring debris and a new era in the life of [Kerbin] would begin.'

After seeing Minmus\' orbit, I\'d have to say that it will never encounter the Mun. At least, not until Jeb comes up with a scheme to deorbit Minmus.

But thats the point, KSP doesn\'t model N-body gravity.

With such a small moon as Minmus gravitational pull from the Mun, Kerbin, and other planets in the system (when they\'re added) could vastly alter its orbit.

I thin it\'d be awesome (But very unlikely) If Kerbin had rings, Most of the debris in the rings would be the size of a pebble, But some rocks could be like the size of the V.A.B. with little to no gravity, I think it would be fun trying to land on one of those, Also, It\'d be cool if Kerbin had more moons other than just Minmus and Mun, Maybe a Moon with an atmosphere....

I thin it\'d be awesome (But very unlikely) If Kerbin had rings, Most of the debris in the rings would be the size of a pebble, But some rocks could be like the size of the V.A.B. with little to no gravity, I think it would be fun trying to land on one of those, Also, It\'d be cool if Kerbin had more moons other than just Minmus and Mun, Maybe a Moon with an atmosphere....

For a 'moon' to be big enough to have an atmosphere, it would be so big that Kerbin would be a binary planet, not a planet with a moon. Tidal forces would probably also increase volcanic activity on both planets, making them unlivable. Far better to just add in other planets, and keep the system mostyl realistic :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.