Stopped receiving science?

I am a newbie to this glorious and terribly addicting game. I am playing the career mode. I have not orbited the Mun yet and turned into a tourist ferrying pimp for cash and reputation while trying to steal some science on the side. Building a rocket to carry two more passengers is expensive. I am trying to get more science to reach that next best part in the science tree to be able to reach the Mun, but I don't get science points from the environment any more, only from the amount of money spent due to a strategy I selected in the Admin Building. ;.; Is this because I discovered everything there is to discover by flying around Kerbal? Is there a limit to science in each planet? I have hauled that ill smelling jug of goo for free once to many times for my liking just to land and not get any science. I have that mod installed which tells you when you have science available. Does the goo jug have to be attached to the Science Jr to yield more science? Is Science Jr. required to get more science points?

Yes, there is a limit of science, once experiment is done, it won't yield more science. Try recovering all experiments instead of just transmitting. Also send a probe to the moon. Just a flyby will give you a lot of science.

you can still send Kerbals to land in Desert, on Mountains, and every other biome to take EVA report and Surface samples. Also, every building at KSC is different biome, so you can do every science experiment at every building and you will receive science. Quite early in tech tree you can build a small rover for one Kerbal (science guy preferably) with one of every experiment. Then you only have to drive to, say, VAB, do all experiments there and then EVA that Kerbal to collect Data and reset experiments so that you can repeat them at next building without need to recover vessel before you are done.

Kerbin still has plenty of science. You can repeat an experiment in different biome (Ice Caps,

Tundra,

Highlands,

Mountains,

Grasslands,

Deserts,

Badlands,

Shores,

Water

) and some biomes are literally accessible by foot:

also note the EVA reports "in space above ___"

You don't get to EVA tourists though.

"there is a limit of science, once experiment is done, it won't yield more science."

This isn't exactly true.

There is a limit

Some experiments will yield 100% of the total possible science after 1 recovery (like a temperature scan).

Others do not, like the Goo, Science Junior, Seismic scan... where they will yield the majority of the total possible science after 1 recovery.

Then the next time, the science yeild will be much lower.

The time after that... you may see something like 0.1 science.

And after that.... 0.0

Kerbin still has plenty of science. You can repeat an experiment in different biome (Ice Caps,

Tundra,

Highlands,

Mountains,

Grasslands,

Deserts,

Badlands,

Shores,

Water

) and some biomes are literally accessible by foot:

Wow! I'd only just figured out that the individual buildings of KSC were biomes. I had no idea that individual PARTS of buildings were biomes too.

Wow! I'd only just figured out that the individual buildings of KSC were biomes. I had no idea that individual PARTS of buildings were biomes too.

Some biomes will only become accessible after a full upgrade though.

Thanks for the responses. It is great help. I have tons of questions. I have also tried exiting the capsule when in orbit but right clicking on the capsule does not give the option to open the hatch and exit to space. Is space walking feasible and does it give you extra science points? Here is a random question which have been pestering me, will attaching the thermometer to different parts of the rocket yield extra science points for each location? Does the thermometer have to be attached to the Science Jr. module?

You can also probably do science "high in space over Kerbin" still.

Every celestial body has low space and high space science. When you first leave Kerbin's atmosphere and enter your first orbit, you're in Kerbin's low space regime.

However, if you can get into orbit, then you can easily also get into the high space regime. That is because you don't actually need to be in orbit for that, you just need to be significantly further away from the planet. More than 250 kilometers away, to be precise. Any orbit capable rocket can easily take you there with fuel to spare if you just launch straight up and fall back down in a classic suborbital hop. And you can do everything in high space that you could in low space - EVA reports, crew reports, thermometer, mystery goo, science jr., the entire works.

While there are many biomes on Kerbin with small amounts of science, a single short hop into high space can give you a huge amount of science if you can return everything safely to the surface. (Which is harder than on a 70km suborbital hop but by no means impossible. Just don't go too far beyond 250 - just enough to do your science. If your rocket has fuel to spare, you can instead try to use it to slow your fall on the way down.)

P.S.: Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for the responses. It is great help. I have tons of questions. I have also tried exiting the capsule when in orbit but right clicking on the capsule does not give the option to open the hatch and exit to space. Is space walking feasible and does it give you extra science points? Here is a random question which have been pestering me, will attaching the thermometer to different parts of the rocket yield extra science points for each location? Does the thermometer have to be attached to the Science Jr. module?

Yes, you can do EVA reports once you have upgraded the astronaut complex to lvl 2. After upgrading the R&D facility to lvl2 you can also take surface samples.

No, you can attach thermometer (and any other instrument) to wherever you like, no specific requirements exist.

The science returns of the experiments depend only on biome you are currently within. Apart from the surface biomes (see http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Biome) distinct experiments can be made 'over' them (flying low, flying high, in space low, in space high). Also there's a difference between 'landed' and 'splashed down'.

You can also check this page: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science where you can find which experiments are available for which instrument at which biome.

Edited by cicatrix

And Scott Manley has done a nice introduction/walkthrough for early career mode on his channel:

it's well worth the time to watch. the tricycle for doing the KSC science stuff is called "Cheating One" in my save, though :-D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.