[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Does anyone else crash when the drill is connected to aground pylon and you try ot modify it?

Well I don't crash but I have had the drill blow up on me when I attach it directly to the pylon. I usually use some sort of girder, PF structural element or other item as a base for attaching things like the drill, antennas, solar panels etc. Also, when you say pylon, do you mean the actual KAS pylon or are you referring to the Pathfinder saddle? If you are referring to the saddle, have you done the update for the saddle.cfg from a few posts above? Let us know this info and we'll try and get your problem narrowed down.

I have some bug fixes for the drill on the way, I noticed some issues as well. I've been pretty silent of late because I've been busy sorting through bugs and have had a challenging time trying to figure out how science experiments work. Suffice to say I had a breakthrough and am back on track. :)

- - - Updated - - -

My effort is paying off. This in my test base on Minmus. As I get more functionality done I add to it.

V6tL2Zi.png

Edited by Angel-125

...and have had a challenging time trying to figure out how science experiments work. Suffice to say I had a breakthrough and am back on track. :)

If you need more info on experiments that's another element of the science game alongside the labs I've worked with quite a bit. That Minmus base is starting to look pretty tasty too...

this is just getting better and better and better!!! Thank you!!!!!
If you need more info on experiments that's another element of the science game alongside the labs I've worked with quite a bit. That Minmus base is starting to look pretty tasty too...

Glad you like the progress. :) believe me, so do I. While I figured out how science, transmit values, data amounts and the like all work, the problem I ran into was how to bend the system to do what I wanted. That has been a pain, but now I've built the tools to do what I'm trying to accomplish. This upcoming release has a lot of coding changes but it lays the foundation for future improvement. That's why it's taking so long... At one point my release plan for the new release was about a page long with all the tasks I had to do. By comparison earlier releases were a paragraph or two. Anyway, it's getting there, and I look forward to having my coding tasks done. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've pulled off in regards to the science - should be interesting to play with.

I've got a bit of a curiosity thing going on though. I hadn't played heavily with the gaslights until I just restarted a new career and started setting up a new base from scratch with the gaslights meant to be a core for the hubs and lighting (old career already had lighting in place). The initial base I'm setting up is at the Mun and is on resonably level ground (1.7o slope) but the gaslights are causing me no end of trouble.

I've been having a world of trouble with them blowing up on me when:

Exploding immediately after bolting to the ground

Raising them using 'N', bolting successfully, and then exploding when I unbolt to reposition

Exploding after bolting and when linking - sometimes on the first link, sometimes on the fourth

Exploding on scene changes

Exploding while landing a resupply craft

As you can see, I've really started putting them through the paces but the exploding issue is a real problem for me on a regular basis. I'm wondering whether this is just me missing some trick to use these things without a problem or if this is the regular issue seen with many parts trying to attach to the ground and clipping causing KSP to explode them. Figured I'd run it by you and get your input because this is just too useful a piece of gear to pass up.

P.S. If this is the regular issue with KSP and clipped physics explosions, would it be better to switch them over to allow them bolt to a base (either Saddle or regular KAS slab) instead?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've pulled off in regards to the science - should be interesting to play with.

I've got a bit of a curiosity thing going on though. I hadn't played heavily with the gaslights until I just restarted a new career and started setting up a new base from scratch with the gaslights meant to be a core for the hubs and lighting (old career already had lighting in place). The initial base I'm setting up is at the Mun and is on resonably level ground (1.7o slope) but the gaslights are causing me no end of trouble.

I've been having a world of trouble with them blowing up on me when:

Exploding immediately after bolting to the ground

Raising them using 'N', bolting successfully, and then exploding when I unbolt to reposition

Exploding after bolting and when linking - sometimes on the first link, sometimes on the fourth

Exploding on scene changes

Exploding while landing a resupply craft

As you can see, I've really started putting them through the paces but the exploding issue is a real problem for me on a regular basis. I'm wondering whether this is just me missing some trick to use these things without a problem or if this is the regular issue seen with many parts trying to attach to the ground and clipping causing KSP to explode them. Figured I'd run it by you and get your input because this is just too useful a piece of gear to pass up.

P.S. If this is the regular issue with KSP and clipped physics explosions, would it be better to switch them over to allow them bolt to a base (either Saddle or regular KAS slab) instead?

I generally don't have that problem. When I plunk down the gaslight, I don't bolt it to the ground right away. Instead I pull it out of my inventory and put it on the ground. Then I grab it and bolt it in place. I never have a problem that way. That's no different than installing the Saddle.

I generally don't have that problem. When I plunk down the gaslight, I don't bolt it to the ground right away. Instead I pull it out of my inventory and put it on the ground. Then I grab it and bolt it in place. I never have a problem that way. That's no different than installing the Saddle.

Cool I've give that a shot. To be honest, I've never done that with the Saddle but hadn't had the blow-uppie explosion problem with it for quite some time. This method may very eliminate my occasional issue with the Saddle not bolting in place though so, fingers crossed. Will report back with results...

Hey guys just a quick tip / suggestion

If you really want a good install, checkout NecroBone's new Lithobrake pack of parts... It's got parts you need to make really big landers, and has service bays for rovers... I'm currently in the process of using his new pack to build landers that can plop down a sufficiently supplied rover, to move all the stuff needed for a good sized pathfinder camp. This way I can land, and setup / break camp multiple times (analyzing and surveying multiple biomes).

Pretty cool stuff when you find some mods that seem to just "fit" :)

LINK

Hey guys just a quick tip / suggestion

If you really want a good install, checkout NecroBone's new Lithobrake pack of parts... It's got parts you need to make really big landers, and has service bays for rovers... I'm currently in the process of using his new pack to build landers that can plop down a sufficiently supplied rover, to move all the stuff needed for a good sized pathfinder camp. This way I can land, and setup / break camp multiple times (analyzing and surveying multiple biomes).

Pretty cool stuff when you find some mods that seem to just "fit"

Ok, so veering OT for a minute to agree fully and expound on my setup... :D

I'm using that already too along with Necrobones' SpaceY Heavy Lifters also. If you want to try a really fun setup for full system exploration and colonization I've been running this core personally and have enjoyed it more than any other colonization setup I've run yet including using full MKS installs:

Angel125 : Pathfinder and Deep Space Exploration Vessels

ObiVanDamme : OSE Workshop

Necrobones : SpaceY Heavy Lifters and Lithobrake Exploration Technologies

Nils227 : Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

lo-fi : Kerbal Foundries Wheels & Repulsors

Nertea: Near Future Technologies (especially Solar/Electrical/Propulsion) and Mark IV Spaceplane System

and for life support management I also add in

TaranisElsu: TAC life Support

JPLRepo : Deep Freeze Continued

If you use this LS combination be sure to understand the workarounds for TACLS and Deep Freeze. USILS from RoverDude is already fully compatible with Deep Freeze if you don't want to fuss with this.

This setup is large and I use Texture Replacer from shaw to help manage memory issues by unloading texures along with lowered graphics setting to assist as well. That said, the tradeoff in game play is totally worth anything I have to do to make it run. The thing that brought all these mods together though was Angel's Pathfinder and DSEV. Without them the flavor is just not the same experience.

Pretty cool. Glad to see that Pathfinder meshes well with the other mods. That's one reason I've made the textures look stock to the best of my ability. And it's working with my other mods too; DasValdez created a flying fuel tank for his Discovery II mission, and you couldn't tell that some parts came from DSEV, and others from NFT. :)

Another thought: Now when we have a nice blacksmith workshop, for producing parts. I have started trying out the Extraplanetary Launchpads http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-1-0-4-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v5-2-2

Extraplanetary Launchpads allows you to build new vessels from rocketparts. There is a nice feature where you go out and stake out your launchpad with surveyor stakes and a mallet (using KIS).

The suggestion is a inflatable workshop, garage, hangar for said EPL function.

Here is a example picture of that kind of inflatable

acd-air-shelter-inflatable-hangar.jpg

Another thought: Now when we have a nice blacksmith workshop, for producing parts. I have started trying out the Extraplanetary Launchpads http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-1-0-4-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v5-2-2

Extraplanetary Launchpads allows you to build new vessels from rocketparts. There is a nice feature where you go out and stake out your launchpad with surveyor stakes and a mallet (using KIS).

The suggestion is a inflatable workshop, garage, hangar for said EPL function.

Here is a example picture of that kind of inflatable

http://www.bluemont.com.au/wp-content/gallery/3-1-6-acd-air-shelter/acd-air-shelter-inflatable-hangar.jpg

Nice! I actually do have plans for EL support coming up real soon...

And in case anybody is wondering, yes there will be a greenhouse, but not in next update.

Edited by Angel-125

Angel, new build for OSE Workshop is causing some weirdness to occur in Pathfinder. I've not fully tested everything yet but I know that at least the Conestoga is giving this error when adding it to any craft. I'm reporting it here even though the NRE references OSE Workshop since I can't reproduce the error except when adding the Conestoga. Also, the Conestoga RCS ports are now firing in the VAB/SPH editor all the time. I copied the entire message list from the log file ending with the NRE because I wasn't sure exactly how much you may need.

[LOG 23:06:40.324] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: SetupAnimations called.

[LOG 23:06:40.324] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: OnStart - State: Editor Part: WBI.Conestoga

[LOG 23:06:40.325] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: initTemplates called

[LOG 23:06:40.330] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: STORAGE_TEMPLATE has 13 templates.

[LOG 23:06:40.330] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 0: Coolant

[LOG 23:06:40.331] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 1: Fusion Pellets

[LOG 23:06:40.331] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 2: Storage

[LOG 23:06:40.331] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 3: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.332] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 4: Liquid Fuel

[LOG 23:06:40.332] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 5: Liquid Hydrogen

[LOG 23:06:40.332] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 6: Minerals

[LOG 23:06:40.333] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 7: MonoPropellant

[LOG 23:06:40.333] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 8: Ore

[LOG 23:06:40.333] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 9: Research Kits

[LOG 23:06:40.334] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 10: Rocket Parts

[LOG 23:06:40.334] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 11: Water

[LOG 23:06:40.335] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 12: Material Kits

[LOG 23:06:40.335] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: hideEditorGUI called

[LOG 23:06:40.335] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: RedecorateModule called. payForRedecoration: False loadTemplateResources: True template index: 3

[LOG 23:06:40.336] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: loadResourcesFromTemplate called for template: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.336] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: template: STORAGE_TEMPLATE

{

name = LFO

author = Angel-125

shortName = LFO

logoPanel = WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/CommonTemplates/Decals/LFO

glowPanel = WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/CommonTemplates/Decals/LFOGlow

description = This kit stores liquid fuel and oxidizer.

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 810

maxAmount = 810

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 990

maxAmount = 990

}

}

[LOG 23:06:40.337] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Clearing resource list

[LOG 23:06:40.338] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Resources cleared

[LOG 23:06:40.338] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: template resource count: 2

[LOG 23:06:40.339] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Added resource: LiquidFuel

[LOG 23:06:40.339] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Added resource: Oxidizer

[LOG 23:06:40.340] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: OnRedecorateModule called

[LOG 23:06:40.340] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: loadModulesFromTemplate called for template: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.341] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: New shortName: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.341] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: changeDecals called.

[LOG 23:06:40.343] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Module redecorated.

[LOG 23:06:40.344] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: initModuleGUI called

[EXC 23:06:40.345] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Workshop.OseModuleInventoryPreference.VesselHasWorkshop ()

Workshop.OseModuleInventoryPreference.OnStart (StartState state)

Part.ModulesOnStart ()

Part+.MoveNext ()

[LOG 23:06:42.110] WBI.Conestoga added to ship - part count: 2

[LOG 23:06:42.111] SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = WBI.Conestoga | Target = LETpod2m4k | Symmetry Count = 0

[LOG 23:06:42.112] SAFix.onPartAttach(): 1x symmetry in VAB detected. Radial symmetry set.

[ERR 23:06:42.142] Input is null

Just for info's sake since I see it in the NRE message, the craft did NOT have workshop on it. The only things were a capsule and the Conestoga. I'll keep testing and see if there's other problems with the Chuckwagon and will report back if I see anything.

UPDATE:

Ok so more info for you. The Buckboards have acted peculiar on occasion. I was once able to get NREs going from them but it was on an existing craft and when trying on a new craft I could not duplicate the errors at all. That said, there have been a couple times where I would try to open one when it was set to Storage and it would play the sound for closing and not open the window. A second selection of the inventory button would open them up and I was able to access the items stored within. This is just for info's sake. Quick note: no NREs showed up but I did see [Error]: Input is null getting spammed in the debug window every time I was attaching a Buckboard.

The other issue was one that cropped up when adding drills.

[EXC 23:38:20.053] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: key

System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[system.String,ProtoTechNode].ContainsKey (System.String key)

ResearchAndDevelopment.GetTechnologyState (System.String techID)

WildBlueIndustries.Utils.HasResearchedNode (System.String techNode)

WildBlueIndustries.WBIDrillSwitcher.OnStart (StartState state)

Part.ModulesOnStart ()

Part+.MoveNext ()

That came up as soon as I added any drill to a craft and it happened on both the stock Drill-o-Matic and the Gold Digger. Continuing to test for further weirdeness...

Edited by rasta013

Angel, new build for OSE Workshop is causing some weirdness to occur in Pathfinder. I've not fully tested everything yet but I know that at least the Conestoga is giving this error when adding it to any craft. I'm reporting it here even though the NRE references OSE Workshop since I can't reproduce the error except when adding the Conestoga. Also, the Conestoga RCS ports are now firing in the VAB/SPH editor all the time. I copied the entire message list from the log file ending with the NRE because I wasn't sure exactly how much you may need.

[LOG 23:06:40.324] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: SetupAnimations called.

[LOG 23:06:40.324] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: OnStart - State: Editor Part: WBI.Conestoga

[LOG 23:06:40.325] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: initTemplates called

[LOG 23:06:40.330] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: STORAGE_TEMPLATE has 13 templates.

[LOG 23:06:40.330] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 0: Coolant

[LOG 23:06:40.331] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 1: Fusion Pellets

[LOG 23:06:40.331] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 2: Storage

[LOG 23:06:40.331] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 3: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.332] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 4: Liquid Fuel

[LOG 23:06:40.332] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 5: Liquid Hydrogen

[LOG 23:06:40.332] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 6: Minerals

[LOG 23:06:40.333] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 7: MonoPropellant

[LOG 23:06:40.333] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 8: Ore

[LOG 23:06:40.333] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 9: Research Kits

[LOG 23:06:40.334] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 10: Rocket Parts

[LOG 23:06:40.334] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 11: Water

[LOG 23:06:40.335] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Template 12: Material Kits

[LOG 23:06:40.335] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: hideEditorGUI called

[LOG 23:06:40.335] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: RedecorateModule called. payForRedecoration: False loadTemplateResources: True template index: 3

[LOG 23:06:40.336] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: loadResourcesFromTemplate called for template: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.336] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: template: STORAGE_TEMPLATE

{

name = LFO

author = Angel-125

shortName = LFO

logoPanel = WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/CommonTemplates/Decals/LFO

glowPanel = WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/CommonTemplates/Decals/LFOGlow

description = This kit stores liquid fuel and oxidizer.

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 810

maxAmount = 810

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 990

maxAmount = 990

}

}

[LOG 23:06:40.337] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Clearing resource list

[LOG 23:06:40.338] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Resources cleared

[LOG 23:06:40.338] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: template resource count: 2

[LOG 23:06:40.339] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Added resource: LiquidFuel

[LOG 23:06:40.339] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Added resource: Oxidizer

[LOG 23:06:40.340] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: OnRedecorateModule called

[LOG 23:06:40.340] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: loadModulesFromTemplate called for template: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.341] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: New shortName: LFO

[LOG 23:06:40.341] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: changeDecals called.

[LOG 23:06:40.343] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: Module redecorated.

[LOG 23:06:40.344] WBIModuleSwitcher [FFE53A4A][924.0245]: initModuleGUI called

[EXC 23:06:40.345] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Workshop.OseModuleInventoryPreference.VesselHasWorkshop ()

Workshop.OseModuleInventoryPreference.OnStart (StartState state)

Part.ModulesOnStart ()

Part+.MoveNext ()

[LOG 23:06:42.110] WBI.Conestoga added to ship - part count: 2

[LOG 23:06:42.111] SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = WBI.Conestoga | Target = LETpod2m4k | Symmetry Count = 0

[LOG 23:06:42.112] SAFix.onPartAttach(): 1x symmetry in VAB detected. Radial symmetry set.

[ERR 23:06:42.142] Input is null

Just for info's sake since I see it in the NRE message, the craft did NOT have workshop on it. The only things were a capsule and the Conestoga. I'll keep testing and see if there's other problems with the Chuckwagon and will report back if I see anything.

Thanks for the report. I noticed that too and don't know what's going on. It does appear to be related to the OSE Workshop; I deleted the mod from my test install and everything works fine.

Another update - no more errors found and other than the weird NREs appearing everything appears to be functional. I've got a base up and running on test game right now and all is well. A little bit of goofiness here and there but nothing actually breaking. Blacksmith is working fine as is drilling and the geo-lab so the functionality appears okay. The only issue that required any fiddling was getting the Blacksmith to recognize the larger inventory space but that's been an internal issue with OSE for sometime even when it's on it own. Switching to KSC and back to the base solves it and the larger workbench space is recognized just fine.

Want me to relay this info over to the OSE thread or do you want to poke around on Pathfinder and see if anything comes to light?

Is it strange that when I noticed this mod, my daughter was watching this in the background?

Heh. Nope, not strange at all.

I know why the weirdness is happening with the interaction between OSE Workshop and Pathfinder. The problem is in OseModuleInventoryPreference. It's not checking to see if the part's vessel is null, and as a result it throws an NRE. I think that part module is added to all parts, which is why Pathfinder's Conestoga and Buckboard (and others) are affected. I've got a pull request in motion to help correct the issue.

I know why the weirdness is happening with the interaction between OSE Workshop and Pathfinder. The problem is in OseModuleInventoryPreference. It's not checking to see if the part's vessel is null, and as a result it throws an NRE. I think that part module is added to all parts, which is why Pathfinder's Conestoga and Buckboard (and others) are affected. I've got a pull request in motion to help correct the issue.

Nice - and quick too! I was betting it was going to be related to that little feature too. It was something Obi really needed to add in and good that he did but it doesn't surprise it's behind the NREs. I'll get the update and put it through the paces.

Looks like CKAN says there's an update? I can't find a changelog here or on KerbalStuff. Is there a difference between 0.1.6 and 0.1.6_Neon_Lights?

Yeah that was weird...happened for DSEV too hence the reason I thought it was done already. :confused:

I've heard that CKAN has issues, so you can bet that GitHub will always have the latest release. Anyway, I've made a lot of progress. I've got the OSEWorkshop functioning properly now (I have a pull request in progress), and debugged things on my end. I can now print parts in the Blacksmith. I also have some new templates, and did a lot of under the hood changes and bug fixes. I'm in the process of testing the Outback, and have confirmed that if you leave it on the ground and then switch focus to another vessel, the backpack will be gone when you come back. It seems to be something to do with it being flagged as debris, and the game cleans up debris. So far I haven't seen any error messages in the logs, except for a complaint by KAS that the part is -1m below ground for some odd reason... I guess space is a bad part of town...

Edited by Angel-125