More Spawn locations than just Launchpad and Runway Threshold

When testing new rovers or testing the interaction of two different or separate vehicles, I always have to spawn either at the runway or the launchpad (depending where you have built the craft). Now, if I for example would like to test if a fuel truck has the correct design to "dock" with another vehicle, I always need to spawn the first vehicle at for example the runway. Now, I need to drive this vehicle a little away off the runway to make place for the second vehicle. Then I spawn that one and have to drive this to the other vehicle.

Does not fit? ARGH, have to do the whole procedure again.

It would be really cool if I could select another spawnpoint for such testing purposes, say: In front of the hangar?

Writing this, another idea pops up: How about a possibility to select any given location on Kerbin?

Just my 2 cents

Chris

Good idea but wouldn't you then just have to drive your rover/whatever over to the new spawn point? I can't see that this would make a great deal of difference in just driving it off the runway or launchpad to be honest, that's what i did when i wanted to make sure my base parts dock OK.

The idea of spawning anywhere on Kerbin would be open to abuse for science gathering... spawn at biome then gather science and recover ship... repeat at next biome.

Spawning at KSC only might not be too bad though.

One way would be to include an option in the 'pop up' menu to spawn next to the runway or launchpad if it is already occupied, rather than just clear it.

A few 'pre-set' locations could be used, say one just off the western end of the runway and one off to either side next to the usual spawn point, then maybe 3 around the launchpad. Only if all 3 extra spots are occupied does it need to clear one.

This would avoid the problem of programming in random or flexible spawn points for a relatively small issue, but still give a useful extra degree of flexibility for testing stuff.

Or, come up with some "Parking lots" in front of the Hangar (planes). In the aviation hangar before you click on "launch" you could select lot no.1, 2, 3 and so on...

Then I have one rover pop up at parking lot 1, then for the other vehicle I want to interact the rover with I select no. 2.

Out I go, flip-flop between the two.

I understand what middlemass meant two posts above, but still, having to drive something off the runway and downhill on that plane is still quite tiresome.

I also agree that it is not a good idea to be able to spawn wherever you want to.

I like the idea - how about that you could spawn vehicles at flag-positions? A additional constraint could be that the flag position had to be on "Kerbal Space Center" (not "Administration building" or "Grasslands"). With this everybody could (once) define his/her spawning positions for him/herself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.