Thermal Protection System Tweak

anarde

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker of the various KSP forums (reddit and here) for quite a while now, but decided with 1.0 that I should get more active in this wonderful community. So, with my first post to these forums I present a small .cfg file tweak I've created that adds a 'ThermalPaint' resource that you can add to any part by right-clicking the part within the VAB or SPH and using the appropriate slider. Adding more helps with re-entry heating and high-speed atmospheric travel heating, but it does weight quite a lot. The resource itself is a clone of the 'ablator' resource used in heatshields but I'm working on editing the various numbers to fine-tune heating effects. This does not make your vessel immune to heating, just adds a little more durability.

Please let me know of any suggestions or issues! :D

Download available via Curseforge.

Edit:

here's a link to the license I selected on curseforge, GNU GPLv3. The source code is the .cfg file downloaded.

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/230860-tps-t/license

Edited by anarde
add licensing and source info - change download link to overview

wow, i was just wishing for this very thing the other day! insta-download.

question: i'm not fully acquainted with the finer workings of ksp's heat system, but would there eventually be any utility in having this plugin allow the user to specify application of the coating to only a certain portion of a part? (e.g. the underside of a mk2 fuselage). that could cut down on weight while protecting the specific areas that need it.

Great idea and a very good bridge for the heat tiles especially for space planes :) Downloading this now, but as you said it is a direct copy of ablative the weight for the paint should be lower as it would should be useful for thermal protection but not a replacement to a heat shield :)

Noticed something that could be an issue. If using InterstellarFuelSwitcher any fuel tank this uses will not have thermal paint available. :(

Edited by JeffreyCor

I've just updated the file on curseforge to lower the density of the paint to half of what the ablator in heat-shields is. How does it seem to be helping with heat? Does it seem to be too much/too little?

@JeffreyCor:

I don't have any modded parts in my build yet so thank-you for letting me know! :) Is the ThermalPaint resource not available to add to those parts at all?

If using InterstellarFuelSwitcher any fuel tank this uses will not have thermal paint available. :(

Yeah, this happens with FSfuelSwitch as well. This has to do with FuelSwitch structure. All I could do is add ThermalPaint resource to FuelSwitch patch, but it takes a lot of work and you have to manually remove ThermalPaint after attaching part. I'm not sure if there's other way of doing it though.

Is the ThermalPaint resource not available to add to those parts at all?

It's available, it shows up when you choose parts, Kerbal Engineer shows it, but there is no way to change value to something different from 0.

Sorry for three posts in a row, but I managed to fix it (kind of):

//CC-BY-SA

//This patch adds FSfuelSwitch to bipropellant tanks (LiquidFuel+Oxidizer). It also adds thermalpaint until somebody understand how to stop FuelSwitch from deleting it. Remember to remove ThermalPaint from the tank if you don't need it!

@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]] //change to LiquidFuel if you want to have FuelSwitch on jet fuel tanks as well
{
lfifplusox = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$ //liquid fuel if plus oxidizer
oxifpluslf = #$/RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/amount$ //oxidizer if plus liquid fuel
lforox = #$/lfifplusox$ //liquid fuel or oxidizer
@lforox += #$/oxifpluslf$

!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
MODULE
{
name = FSfuelSwitch
resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer,ThermalPaint;LiquidFuel,ThermalPaint;Oxidizer,ThermalPaint
resourceAmounts = #$/lfifplusox$ , $/oxifpluslf$ , 200; $/lforox$ , 200; $/lforox$ , 200 //200 is default amount for ThermalPaint initialResourceAmounts = #$/lfifplusox$ , $/oxifpluslf$ , 0; $/lforox$ , 0; $/lforox$ , 0 //for ThermalPaint to be 0 initially
basePartMass = #$/mass$
//tankMass = 0;0;0
//tankCost =0;0;0
displayCurrentTankCost = false
hasGUI = true
availableInFlight = false
availableInEditor = true
showInfo = true
}

I suggest you remove any configs that add FSfuelSwitch to tanks. This config will do for all the tanks (stock and modded).

Edited by micha030201

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Agustin said:

link is down. Any new release please?

Not likely. Do you realize you necroed a 5 year old thread for a mod by a guy that has 4 posts ever, three of which were in this thread?  The post above yours might be the only trace of it that still exists.

10 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Not likely. Do you realize you necroed a 5 year old thread for a mod by a guy that has 4 posts ever, three of which were in this thread?  The post above yours might be the only trace of it that still exists.

Well I found another link in another site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.