Good non KSP Space Sim?

kenbobo

What exactly are you looking for? Pure HC-Sim, Action-based, Trading, 3x?

Besides the obvious like Orbiter and Space Engine I personally am always down for some X3:Reunion or X3:Terran Conflict. Came out in 2008, seen it lying around for about 5€ to 15€, heavily modable, looks very pretty, and has lasers and battleships.

Oh, and here are the system requirements for X3:TC LINK

X series are great arcade space games. Except for latest addition: X Rebirth. It's more like X: Death.

There is rumors going around, that Orbiter is as hard space sim as you can get without joining NASA. Not tried it yet.

Correction- A 3D space game with lasers. I wanna zoom around the world pew pewing bad guys.

Much laser in X3, even mucher bad guys. You can even steal their ships. Or be the bad guy and steal other guys goods. Or fly big ship and throw little ships at stuff.

Nah seriously, look up a Gameplay-Video or two, X3 has much to offer for various gamestyles. Trading: check, pirates: check, mining: check, station building: check, boom&zoom dogfights: check, capital ships and carriers: check, and the list goes on.

Some people experienced a weird learning curve with X3 though.

X series are great arcade space games. Except for latest addition: X Rebirth. It's more like X: Death.

Never had the chance or the urge to play Rebirth, just read about it and thought "Nah, I'll skip that.", since the major selling point of the X-series for me was always the wide variety of vehicles I'm able to steer around. I just hope they've fixed the bugs yet xD

Correction- A 3D space game with lasers. I wanna zoom around the world pew pewing bad guys.

Oolite. It's a "remake" of the original Elite.

Be wary, it takes forever to get to the station after a jump.

But you can pew pew bad guys all day. And there's even non-Newtonian mechanics!

2 games immediately leaps to mind: TIE Fighter (all about pew pewing rebel scum) and X:Tension (as one of the X games, it's a mix of trading and pew pewing but you decide on that mix. Don't know about X3 but the others above do).

I would have to say that Orbiter2010 is your best option. It is free, and like KSP in a way. I have been playing it for a few years, and you can almost perfectly replicate many real life missions such as Apollo, Soyuz, and more. For me, it is not too laggy, so if you can run KSP well you can run this well too.

Much laser in X3, even mucher bad guys. You can even steal their ships. Or be the bad guy and steal other guys goods. Or fly big ship and throw little ships at stuff.

Nah seriously, look up a Gameplay-Video or two, X3 has much to offer for various gamestyles. Trading: check, pirates: check, mining: check, station building: check, boom&zoom dogfights: check, capital ships and carriers: check, and the list goes on.

Some people experienced a weird learning curve with X3 though.

Never had the chance or the urge to play Rebirth, just read about it and thought "Nah, I'll skip that.", since the major selling point of the X-series for me was always the wide variety of vehicles I'm able to steer around. I just hope they've fixed the bugs yet xD

X3 is a piece of battered carp in terms of performance. The game becomes unplayable (5-1 FPS) if you open a window with a AMD card installed in your computer.

X3 is a piece of battered carp in terms of performance. The game becomes unplayable (5-1 FPS) if you open a window with a AMD card installed in your computer.

Hm, strange.

X3 & X3TC with max settings runs absolutely smooth on my Laptop, AMD A6-4400M // Radeon HD 7520G + HD 7400M Dual // 4GB Ram // Win8.1

Even the last mission on the Final Fury plot. Never had problems at all with these games.

There's Homeworld on steam. You don't shoot the bad guys yourself but you can zoom close enough to see them. Its a bundle of homeworld and the sequel.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160/

In the space trading with guns there is Vega Strike. http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Its free but its a work in progress.

For more space dogfigthing

Anything Star Wars Tie Fighter or XWing

The Freespace series

There is also FTL http://www.ftlgame.com/

All those game should run even on low spec computers.

X3TC/AP = Fly/Trade/Fight/Bounty Hunt/Stop Aliens and then create an empire of 200 ships spreading your influence throughout the galaxy. This one can easily rival KSP for number of hours of entertainment, which is rare.

FTL = Awesomesauce rogue-like space game, a true indie gem, but the fighting is more like a mini strategy game than actual seat of the pants fighting

Hm, strange.

X3 & X3TC with max settings runs absolutely smooth on my Laptop, AMD A6-4400M // Radeon HD 7520G + HD 7400M Dual // 4GB Ram // Win8.1

Even the last mission on the Final Fury plot. Never had problems at all with these games.

It's the newest drivers. You can't really properly revert, and all suggested fixes don't work.

If you want a computer that can play games, you should have at least 2gb of VRAM.

VRAM says nothing. You can have a very decent GPU with one GB of VRAM, or the crummiest card available with 2 GB. Since vendors use it as a marketing tool, VRAM has become an almost useless metric.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.