How long does it take missing crew to respawn?

Do you mean killed Kerbonaut? Missing Kerbonauts are the ones that are lost by unnatural means, glitched, mission terminating, ship editing, etc. Which category Terry ate in van play a part in whether they are respawnable.

• 4 years later...

bruh we kill our man Milford and we have even restarted the game and he isnt here so we are done with this. We also need help trying to get to the moon and getting our man Milford back. Sorry guys we are new to this game and we dont know how to do amything lol. Thanks, green beans 

Edited by Milford Green Bean

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

1 hour ago, Milford Green Bean said:

bruh we kill our man Milford and we have even restarted the game and he isnt here so we are done with this. We also need help trying to get to the moon and getting our man Milford back. Sorry guys we are new to this game and we dont know how to do amything lol. Thanks, green beans 

It's worth noting that the discussion above is several years old (and therefore on older versions of the game), so any time you have a question now about the current game, it's usually best to either hop on a recent thread (if there's one currently under discussion), or else just spin up your own new question thread.

That said, though, I think this particular game behavior hasn't changed in the last four years, so I believe the discussion in the thread above is still relevant.  Skimming over it it just now, I think your questions are answered there-- suggest giving it a read, if you haven't already.

Short answer is:

• If a crew member were going to respawn, they'd do so right away.
  • If they haven't, then likely they ain't gonna.
  • It's possible to do some manual tinkering with the savegame (i.e. the .sfs file) by editing it in Notepad or some such.
  • However, if you decide to go that route, be sure to keep an untouched backup copy of your file from before tinkering with it, because it's easy to accidentally screw up the file when editing, and if you do that, you could break the whole thing and make it unloadable.  So keeping a pristine backup copy protects you-- if you mess something up, you just restore from your "safe" backup and at least can get back to where you are now.

17 minutes ago, Snark said:

If a crew member were going to respawn, they'd do so right away.

Nope! There is a slider in the difficulty settings called "Crew respawn timer". (Which is directly below the toggle button "Missing Crews Respawn".) The default for Easy and Normal difficulty is 2 hours, for Moderate and Hard the default is that missing crews do not respawn.

You can also check in the Astronaut Complex. If they are listed as "Missing in Action" then they will respawn. If they are listed as "Killed in Action" then they won't respawn. I believe that if they will respawn, then you can just time-warp for the required time and they'll be back. But save and reload will not help.

On 9/27/2019 at 11:14 AM, Snark said:

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

It's worth noting that the discussion above is several years old (and therefore on older versions of the game), so any time you have a question now about the current game, it's usually best to either hop on a recent thread (if there's one currently under discussion), or else just spin up your own new question thread.

That said, though, I think this particular game behavior hasn't changed in the last four years, so I believe the discussion in the thread above is still relevant.  Skimming over it it just now, I think your questions are answered there-- suggest giving it a read, if you haven't already.

Short answer is:

• If a crew member were going to respawn, they'd do so right away.
  • If they haven't, then likely they ain't gonna.
  • It's possible to do some manual tinkering with the savegame (i.e. the .sfs file) by editing it in Notepad or some such.
  • However, if you decide to go that route, be sure to keep an untouched backup copy of your file from before tinkering with it, because it's easy to accidentally screw up the file when editing, and if you do that, you could break the whole thing and make it unloadable.  So keeping a pristine backup copy protects you-- if you mess something up, you just restore from your "safe" backup and at least can get back to where you are now.

Thanks for the help! We are new to all of this and we dont know how this all work lol. Thanks again! -Milford

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.