Construction in Space

Are docking ports and clamp-o-trons the only way to connect pre-fab pieces together in space? I'd like to be able to build all sorts of stuff (huge ships, stations, outposts, W/E) in space after launching the pieces into space separately.... without having a pair of docking ports every twenty feet.

I haven't used the Sr. docking port yet, but the smaller ones are pretty wobbly and unsatisfying. And the big one is pretty heavy. If there isn't a way to do it in the stock game, is there a mod for this?

IF you're asking about welding parts . . . no. There is no mod, no stock functionality, nothing. Honestly, you can launch/dock some pretty big sections together if you have the lifter capabilities. The hard part is that KSP docking ports (even the seniors) are wobbly because they're thin and light and often sandwiched between massively heavy components.

There are mods that add docking ports made of unobtanium. They're stupidly heavy but because mass factors in KSP's joint strength calculation, it improves docking strength significantly.

Kerbal Attachment/Inventory System and Extraplanetary Launchpads allow you to do this. I just launched a huge colony ship from a base orbiting Minmus using nothing but material mined from the surface.

There is one option for connecting other than docking ports: The claw. Not really recommended for the sort of thing the OP is attempting though, I just mention it for completeness.

As for mods to help, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement stiffens up part joints considerably, including those made by docking ports. You could also consider a mod that adds larger, stiffer docking ports, like SpaceY (adds 3.75m and 5m ports).

There is one option for connecting other than docking ports: The claw. Not really recommended for the sort of thing the OP is attempting though, I just mention it for completeness.

As for mods to help, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement stiffens up part joints considerably, including those made by docking ports. You could also consider a mod that adds larger, stiffer docking ports, like SpaceY (adds 3.75m and 5m ports).

For small stuff, like probes, I highly recommend Kerbal Inventory System, and for reinforcing an existing structure, I SWEAR by KAS's struts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.