Free Windows 10 without Windows 7 or 8 (NOT ANYMORE)

sam.johnson841

For any of those who don't have windows 7 or 8.1 or for those who want a free extra licence. Go to this link:

http://hexus.net/business/news/general-business/84164-microsoft-will-give-away-windows-10-windows-insider-testers/

Basically, Microsoft confirmed if you have build 10130 installed and you upgrade it to the full version when windows 10 launches, the licence stays genuine.

So if you want a licence for whatever reason, install that quickish! :D

Microsoft seem to be no longer offering this.

- Sam

Edited by sam.johnson841
Microsoft have backtracked

That's very nice of them. It feels like a bit of a cheat, but, they have honored that method before. Perhaps because the numbers who actually do it are fairly low. I did a similar thing to qualify for a low-cost upgrade to Win8, with no prior OS. I had just bought new PC components, assembled it, installed the Win8 Consumer Preview build, grumbled about the start panel and "metro" like everybody, upgraded to Release Preview... and that was good enough to qualify for a low-cost "upgrade" version, instead of the more expensive "full" version for PC's with no OS. I've been happy ever since.

'There's no such thing a free lunch'... Wait till when enough people have taken the bite.. then Msoft 'pulls the plug'.. and says.. you must now pay for upgrades ...errr...I mean the botch-ups that should have been fixed before release :D

'There's no such thing a free lunch'... Wait till when enough people have taken the bite.. then Msoft 'pulls the plug'.. and says.. you must now pay for upgrades ...errr...I mean the botch-ups that should have been fixed before release :D

They have been pretty clear in their claims that they will not do this. They could still do it, but it would absolutely destroy any consumer trust. I think they are smarter than that.

Microsoft will make money out of you somehow with windows 10. It's your choice how, option 1: you pay them a licence fee and they sell your personal data.

Option 2: they sell your data.

Yes, it's strongly implied that this free version comes with al manner of extra data-collection.

To me, this is a too high price to pay.

Microsoft will make money out of you somehow with windows 10. It's your choice how, option 1: you pay them a licence fee and they sell your personal data.

Option 2: they sell your data.

- Sam

Though you are probably at least partially right, you should be aware that the OS market has changed considerably. Where it used to be a valuable product that could make a company money, people have gotten used to getting an OS for free. Apple does it, Google does it, the Linuxes do it. However, due to the competing ecosystems, Windows is still of importance to Microsoft. They market share of Windows Phone is really rather small, so they have to make most of the x86 branch to compensate. If they lose that, the war is lost.

Sometimes it makes sense to have a strong product without making money off of it, though they will likely try to make the most of it. I hope they realize that the strong offline capabilities of Windows are their staple, since they will lose their competitive edge if they become just another Chrome OS/Android/younameit.

History teaches some amazing lessons to those who pay attention. From day one of their history, you never ever buy anything from Microsoft first release.

The same goes for a lot of other publishers too, including the one that shall not be named. People buying software of a fecal quality without even reading reviews beforehand keeps the perpetual cycle bad ideas going. But no, people want some cheap 'collectable' toy or special in-game laz0r hat, so they pre-order.

[h=1]Microsoft stealthily backs away from free Windows 10 promise[/h]Article helps read between the lines: MSFT does not want corporations thinking they can pass a software audit and "get away" with this method of escaping volume licensing agreements. But the method will work for home users not subject to those kind of audits.

On Friday, this method of getting Windows 10 had a veneer of officialness to it. It was an explicitly documented way of getting Windows 10 that was activated and genuine for free. It isn't any more. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it's no longer completely above-board and officially authorized.

Microsoft are *insert rude word the mods wont like here*.

Why you screw the people who have done all your hard word for you over?

WHY?

- Sam

What are you yacking about? This IS piracy, despite people saying "but I outsmarted the system."

Let's point out that it is dead easy to use analysis software to find out what reg entries 30 day software writes to, and revert those changes to extend the trial indefinitely. Still piracy.

Now that people are going out of hand with the piracy, Microsoft is saying "okay, enough is enough" so what is the deal?

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes it makes sense to have a strong product without making money off of it, though they will likely try to make the most of it. I hope they realize that the strong offline capabilities of Windows are their staple, since they will lose their competitive edge if they become just another Chrome OS/Android/younameit.

This is extremely wrong.

Apple doesn't give their OS away for free, they give upgrades away for free, while controlling the devices that it is installed on.

Google again is spyware based on Linux, barely any real work done except for compromising the integrity of linux.

Linux is Donationware, which receives an uncountable amount of money each year but claims it is non-profit (note, non-profit means ONLY that you applied for tax-exemption and received it.)

Firefox makes bucket loads of money, as does Chrome, this is all spyware and endorser deal supported (i.e. Google pays money for each person to use google with that "browser flag", notice it with the default search?)

Edited by Fel

They have been pretty clear in their claims that they will not do this. They could still do it, but it would absolutely destroy any consumer trust. I think they are smarter than that.

https://www.google.co.uk/?q=windows+as+a+service

Or as a tl;dr version: Turning Windows into a mobile phone OS like Android or iOS. Well, more like iOS I would guess, given you can sideload Android apps without touching the Play store.

Are you excited?

I'm... not.

Edited by technicalfool

What are you yacking about? This IS piracy, despite people saying "but I outsmarted the system."

Let's point out that it is dead easy to use analysis software to find out what reg entries 30 day software writes to, and revert those changes to extend the trial indefinitely. Still piracy.

Now that people are going out of hand with the piracy, Microsoft is saying "okay, enough is enough" so what is the deal?

My problem is that people like my self have help MS out, not that we ask anything for it. When we are then offered the OS free, as confirmed by MS, and then they take it away from you, that's rubbish. You can't just offer somebody something, then take it away from them, MS have done this several times with different things regarding windows 10, each one is a shot to their reputation.

Also, in my idiocy, how is this piracy if MS confirmed it was correct?

- Sam

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.google.co.uk/?q=windows+as+a+service

Or as a tl;dr version: Turning Windows into a mobile phone OS like Android or iOS. Well, more like iOS I would guess, given you can sideload Android apps without touching the Play store.

Are you excited?

I'm... not.

They have seen the money apple makes from their walled garden and want a piece of it. Windows 7 FTW! :D

-Sam

My problem is that people like my self have help MS out, not that we ask anything for it. When we are then offered the OS free, as confirmed by MS, and then they take it away from you, that's rubbish. You can't just offer somebody something, then take it away from them, MS have done this several times with different things regarding windows 10, each one is a shot to their reputation.

Also, in my idiocy, how is this piracy if MS confirmed it was correct?

- Sam

Microsoft "confirmed" that they would give the people who helped them windows 10 for free.

Someone then decided to spread the word and get people who DID NOT help them to download the demo version and apply for the free license.

THAT is piracy, the people Microsoft was rewarding was you, but then someone decided to ruin it.

Let's say that Apple has free updates to OSX and I spoof packets to the server that offers those updates to get "free downloads" (basically, just lying about the OS I am running), I now can create a Hackintosh (which also violates the TOS but) without having paid for the OS which is still piracy.

Edited by Fel

- - - Updated - - -

This is extremely wrong.

Apple doesn't give their OS away for free, they give upgrades away for free, while controlling the devices that it is installed on.

Google again is spyware based on Linux, barely any real work done except for compromising the integrity of linux.

Linux is Donationware, which receives an uncountable amount of money each year but claims it is non-profit (note, non-profit means ONLY that you applied for tax-exemption and received it.)

Firefox makes bucket loads of money, as does Chrome, this is all spyware and endorser deal supported (i.e. Google pays money for each person to use google with that "browser flag", notice it with the default search?)

I don't know about Chrome (I'll have to Google it), but Firefox's source code is available to anyone - if you think it's 'spyware', you're free to check that out (and change and rebuild it if you want). Same with Linux. There are plenty of alternatives to Google.

The time for crying about this stuff is long past, the world has essentially bought into it lock, stock, and barrel. Used to be developers/coders knew every aspect of the chip/OS/and language they wrote for; These days, even the best top-flight developers are nothing more than tool-users creating apps for end-users. From database engines to graphics engines, linkable libraries, APIs, frameworks, etc, it's all black-box technology which you use to piece things together with - (no disrespect, but) KSP using Unity is but one example. These days only the tool-makers know what's inside, and the majority of them are not very forthcoming with the finer details - proprietary trade-secret copyright blah blah blah etc. Use the tools you've been given and be happy, all else is just howling at the moon at this point.

Microsoft "confirmed" that they would give the people who helped them windows 10 for free.

Someone then decided to spread the word and get people who DID NOT help them to download the demo version and apply for the free license.

THAT is piracy, the people Microsoft was rewarding was you, but then someone decided to ruin it.

Let's say that Apple has free updates to OSX and I spoof packets to the server that offers those updates to get "free downloads" (basically, just lying about the OS I am running), I now can create a Hackintosh (which also violates the TOS but) without having paid for the OS which is still piracy.

Surely, MS can look to see who installed before that date and only make the licence genuine for those who had installed before that date?

- Sam

Edited by sam.johnson841

I don't know about Chrome (I'll have to Google it), but Firefox's source code is available to anyone - if you think it's 'spyware', you're free to check that out (and change and rebuild it if you want). Same with Linux. There are plenty of alternatives to Google.

The time for crying about this stuff is long past, the world has essentially bought into it lock, stock, and barrel. Used to be developers/coders knew every aspect of the chip/OS/and language they wrote for; These days, even the best top-flight developers are nothing more than tool-users creating apps for end-users. From database engines to graphics engines, linkable libraries, APIs, frameworks, etc, it's all black-box technology which you use to piece things together with - (no disrespect, but) KSP using Unity is but one example. These days only the tool-makers know what's inside, and the majority of them are not very forthcoming with the finer details - proprietary trade-secret copyright blah blah blah etc. Use the tools you've been given and be happy, all else is just howling at the moon at this point.

I just happened to run across this link today... and it so applies.

Enough with the many eyes fallacy, I talked of that already. What should be called "spyware" are often called "features," can be disabled yes, but on by default and transmitting usage data that can easily be put in a database; the time when we cared about our privacy is over. Even going so far as to say you can just recompile Firefox is part of the "Many Eyes" fallacy, there are alternatives that remove the "features", but they gain no popularity. Since Firefox is also trademarked (yep) they can't even brand it with the name nor the logo and and distros that use Firefox have to compile and distribute Firefox with the default settings (some leeway may be granted) or else they have to rebrand it as something else.

Camacha's argument was that Microsoft should make a free product with no expectation of monetary gain because that is how the current economy is, but that is untrue; loads of money is made, whether you are aware of it or not.

(To note, the "features" I mention are simple things like phishering (don't know if they're finally just downloading the database rather than sending urls to check), using internet-search in the addressbar, tags stating you're using the default search engine and to give mozilla money for that, sync or other cloud based 'improvements'. Basically, any communication that is not simply between the server you are connecting to and you.)

- - - Updated - - -

Surely, MS can look to see who installed before that date and only make the licence genuine for those who had installed before that date?

- Sam

Microsoft isn't doing anything wrong here, the problem was that people started extending their offer past the initial group they wanted to reward... it's like a company saying "Thank you all for participating, join us tomorrow for free cake" and you invited the entire neighborhood. Actions have consequences.

Edited by Master Tao