"All lights are Green" mod (Not a mod to do with lights, or lighting)

I'm not very good at scripting, and know very little about the Unity engine itself, otherwise I probably would do this mod.

What the mod would do is actually pretty simple, and would be extremely helpful to new players, and make it easier for old players.

It would be a button you click on the toolbar during construction of a ship. It would open a window with all of your ships current stages.

On this Window, you select your destination. Let's say you want to go to Eve. You select, Eve, and it'd show either a green or red light depending on if you have enough Delta V currently on your ship to make it there and back again.

You can also break it down stage by stage. Say you want Stages 1 and 2 to get you into Orbit. Under the first final destination of Eve, in the next bracket you'd click "Kerbin Orbit", and then Stages 1 and 2. It'd then calculate the total delta V of stages 1 and 2 and give you either a red or green light.

Let's say for this example, it gives you a red light. So you know your ship has a total amount of delta V required to get to Eve, but stages 1 and 2 don't have the delta V to get you into Orbit like you'd like, meaning you'd have to burn into stages 3 or even 4 to get into Orbit. Now lets pretend you fix this, so both lights are Green.

Now you want Stage 3 to get you from Kerbin Orbit, into Sun orbit, you do the same, so on and so forth. through the stages, and selections, of each "waypoint" or stage in the flight itself to get from kerbin to Eve, and back.

------------

Of course this wouldn't be a fool proof, or a fail safe. If you fly the ship wrong, make bad burns, etc. the ship may still not get you from point A to B and back, but it would help while creating a ship to see the lights Green or Red depending on stage, and destination, etc. etc. letting you know you "Should" if flown right, have enough Delta V to get you to where you want to go.

It would also help beginners know if they are flying their ship wrong. If they keep getting Green lights, but are not able to actually make it do what it should, they know they are doing something wrong somewhere.

Edited by LadyAthena

Or you could use KER to get the dV and look it up yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/UUU8yCk.png

Or you could use the dv, to make the program, and have a nice little visual in-game to let you know as well, which was exactly what I was referring too.

Or let's go with your mentality, and remove all the visuals entirely in the game, make it a spreadsheet, where you stack name plates ontop of each other, and then the game tells you if you made it there and back :D

Edited by LadyAthena

This would actually be a pretty easy way to make a dV indicator that Squad could digest putting in.

I agree, and making it like a series of green lights for your destination and the ship itself, with additional information of what your dv actually is, etc. would do wonders to help new people, and give the ship builder even more flash.

I'm not very good at scripting, and know very little about the Unity engine itself, otherwise I probably would do this mod.

What the mod would do is actually pretty simple, and would be extremely helpful to new players, and make it easier for old players.

It would be a button you click on the toolbar during construction of a ship. It would open a window with all of your ships current stages.

On this Window, you select your destination. Let's say you want to go to Eve. You select, Eve, and it'd show either a green or red light depending on if you have enough Delta V currently on your ship to make it there and back again.

You can also break it down stage by stage. Say you want Stages 1 and 2 to get you into Orbit. Under the first final destination of Eve, in the next bracket you'd click "Kerbin Orbit", and then Stages 1 and 2. It'd then calculate the total delta V of stages 1 and 2 and give you either a red or green light.

Let's say for this example, it gives you a red light. So you know your ship has a total amount of delta V required to get to Eve, but stages 1 and 2 don't have the delta V to get you into Orbit like you'd like, meaning you'd have to burn into stages 3 or even 4 to get into Orbit. Now lets pretend you fix this, so both lights are Green.

Now you want Stage 3 to get you from Kerbin Orbit, into Sun orbit, you do the same, so on and so forth. through the stages, and selections, of each "waypoint" or stage in the flight itself to get from kerbin to Eve, and back.

------------

Of course this wouldn't be a fool proof, or a fail safe. If you fly the ship wrong, make bad burns, etc. the ship may still not get you from point A to B and back, but it would help while creating a ship to see the lights Green or Red depending on stage, and destination, etc. etc. letting you know you "Should" if flown right, have enough Delta V to get you to where you want to go.

It would also help beginners know if they are flying their ship wrong. If they keep getting Green lights, but are not able to actually make it do what it should, they know they are doing something wrong somewhere.

i could help with this. PM me

Personally I imagine it as that map right above, but with lines and planets outlined with current dV (and another color for "and back".) So as you add more stages, the colored area grows.

What the mod would do is actually pretty simple... <cut>

I assume you meant that it sounds pretty simple because I can assure you that there is very little simple about calculating the deltaV of a vessel in a KSP mod and creating a mod with a decent UI is also far from simple.

I like the idea in general but I think that it would be very awkward to make it cope correctly with a wide enough range of mission profiles to be particularly useful except for the simplest of missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.