Nuclear engine modelling help?

Hi guys! My problem isn't HOW do I do this, it's just what should it look like?

Basicly, I need design ideas. The engine is a 3.75m Nerv, and for those who have seen my EnginesPlus thread, I'm working on the beautification update. And I need design ideas for the Supernova, cause the old one doesn't look good, and looks very similar to Tsar. So yeah! Some help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Astro

A good thing I recommend you to do is to learn about how rocket engines work, the power cycles, and so. Once done that, think about how you would design it by yourself so it looks "different" but making it so it would still work.

The LV-N "Nerv" engine is directly inspired by the NERVA that was developed in the real world. Most nuclear engines would probably have some similar design elements, since they involve running the propellants through/around a reactor chamber to be heated.

Are you thinking of making one giant engine, or a cluster of smaller ones?

Pictures from some quick googling: (assuming the allow hot-linking):

NERVA_engine.jpg

nerva-engine_800.jpg

220px-NERVAFlowDiagram.jpg

NERVA-II_Envelope.gif

Nerva_-_nuclear_rocket_engine.jpg

The LV-N "Nerv" engine is directly inspired by the NERVA that was developed in the real world. Most nuclear engines would probably have some similar design elements, since they involve running the propellants through/around a reactor chamber to be heated.

Are you thinking of making one giant engine, or a cluster of smaller ones?

Pictures from some quick googling: (assuming the allow hot-linking):

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/NERVA_engine.jpg

http://www.bisbos.com/images_spacecraft/nerva/nerva-engine_800.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/NERVAFlowDiagram.jpg/220px-NERVAFlowDiagram.jpg

http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Space/NERVA-II_Envelope.gif

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Nerva_-_nuclear_rocket_engine.jpg

Well, I knew that already. :P

I'm making one giant engine and so far, this is the base that it is attached onto.

ZbAnACc.png

- - - Updated - - -

He's making it with just one engine.

How did you know that? O.o

Have a poke about here for some inspiration and to give you a few terms you can google for even more inspiration. I often find that looking through the various journal articles, reports and powerpoint presentations that seem to turn up when you start googling about rocket engines are an amazing source of inspiration. Astronautix can also be helpful, this for example, along with the short report linked in it's bibliography.

Have a poke about here for some inspiration and to give you a few terms you can google for even more inspiration. I often find that looking through the various journal articles, reports and powerpoint presentations that seem to turn up when you start googling about rocket engines are an amazing source of inspiration. Astronautix can also be helpful, this for example, along with the short report linked in it's bibliography.

Ok, thanks

For the emissive, you'll just make a second texture (preferably much lower resolution, since it doesn't need much detail in it) that corresponds to the same layout as your main texture. This texture should be grey-scale, and is like a brightness-map. Black areas will correspond to parts that don't glow at all, whereas white areas will glow quite brightly. Then, in Unity you will want to use one of the "Emissive" shaders (usually "KSP/Emissive/Specular"). Leave the emissive color set to black, and then create an animation in Unity where the Emissive color starts at black, and ends at something brighter after 1 second.

Personally what I do is make the outside of the engine bell glow only a little (relatively), and the inside glow a lot. I set the final emsissive red/green/blue values to 5/2/1. The reason I use this is pretty simple. As various parts of the emissive map "warm up", they'll pass through shades that are mostly red at first, then yellow, then a hot white, because a value of "1" (or higher) is fully saturated. At low percentages, the red is the brightest part of that emissive color, and higher up they're all saturated, so it hits orange, then yellow, and then white in the brightest part of the map, but darker parts of the emissive map will still be red or orange.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.