Re-Usable Rocket

So with the new space plane parts im trying to make a reuseable craft to send into space and land again.

So my first problem was getting the thing to ballance this beast was made with Mk3 hull\'s but i finally managed to get it to stay up on the launch pad, then my next problem (still is sometimes) the weight of it would break the engines on the launch pad.

Now the main problem is getting it to fly straight i have try many things from more SAS Mod\'s to more wings to placing thrusters in more outward places and i can get it quite high with being carefull on the thrusters if i use toomuch power i lose control, also with 11 fuel tanks it still isnt enough to get anywhere near high enough =/

any help or tips would be great im fairly new to the game

P.S If you need pics or the ship file il have to do it after 5Pm uk time im in work :(

Hi ryand111

Pics would help a lot in determining the problem, and a craft file as well would be useful too.

Weight is an issue as you have found, it\'s possible to fit struts from the tanks down to the engines, reinforcing them.

I\'m guessing you are making a Space Shuttle style craft with a big offset load? These are notoriously difficult as the weight changes across the rocket instead of from the top down, moving the center of gravity sideways.

If you have gone for the simpler vertical construction it may be that your wings are the culprit, as soon as you try to turn they will either resist that turn or flip you over when their angle of attack to the airflow changes, I have had some luck by keeping my craft sideways so the airflow over any wings can\'t get a grip.

Though it is possible to get into orbit on far less than 11 tanks, it usually requires extensive stripping down on parts and features on the craft to make it light enough to do so, we\'d really need to see your design in order to help in this case.

Now go to work and try not to daydream of rockets, you have paperwork to do :)

Wow that\'s quite the off-axis load you have there :o

All I can say is good luck, something like this is beyond my skills to fly, it does look very top heavy though, you might want to mount the orbiter as low as possible to help reduce the crafts tendency to flip, also the back mounted engine won\'t give you any thrust above about 7000 meters.

There are a few other things I can see also, you have a large number of ASAS units, their effects do not stack unfortunately as they are only a control aid, if you swap them for the stubbier SAS units, you\'ll find they will help hold you steady, just keep one ASAS for control.

The engine on the base of the orbiter looks like the high altitude engine which will give no thrust above about 13,000 meters, so you might want to change that as well.

I\'ll watch this space and see if you can get that beauty to fly :)