T-Prize - Single Stage Landing to Tylo Orbit (SSLTO) Challenge: 1.0.4

OK. I think I'm about done with this challenge now. Time for someone else to come up with something radically different that can do this with like 2t.

My last entry: The Ring of Fire weighs in at 15.12t.

Some snazzy clipping means the aerospike still fires even though only its very tip is protruding from the bottom tank. The tanks empty so that the bottom tank empties last, making the craft bottom heavy and less likely to tip on landing. No fuel ducts were needed, saving a little more mass.

It used nearly every last drop of fuel making orbit from this altitude, would have been easier from a bit higher up.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eap592to6ws6uhc/Tylo%20and%20back%2016.craft?dl=0

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Flight was pretty standard:

Fire retrograde until speed was about 1600m/s then hand over the MJ to land it.

I let MJ fly it most of the way to orbit too. Ascent Path Profile shown above, which basically means getting off the ground and flying very shallow until Ap hits 80km, then coasting to Ap, pointing prograde and using the last of fuel to make orbit.

Edited by Foxster

Thats pretty amazing, it's gonna take some science (hint, hint) to beat that score. :wink:

It would be great if someone made a video of an assisted and non-assisted suicide burn landing, there are no really good explanatory ones online, Scott did one ages ago but it's a bit out of date.

Edit: I would but I'm not as good as the guys on the leaderboard.

Edited by selfish_meme

I couldn't let it rest.

vs current #1

• 30.108 ton - 15.12 = 14.988 ton heavier
  • minus 1 point per 3 ton => -4.996
  • plus 1 for an extra Kerbal => +0.004

woot!

it seems weird that the engines + fuel + lander cans worked out so 'perfectly' - 33 m/s excess only

http://imgur.com/a/Sl1jr

Nice job. Not sure about your math though. Wouldn't your score be (176.2-30.108)/3 + (0.5*2) = 49.7?

But then I'm not sure why the score for my last craft was 53.69. I would have thought it would be (176.2-15.12)/3 + (0.5) = 54.19. So I must be missing something with the scoring :)

- - - Updated - - -

Question to OP: What is a "full science module"?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, wait, I think I get the scoring difference - its 0.5 per Kerbal over 1.

So your score would be (176.2-30.108)/3 + (0.5) = 49.2 and mine is correct at 53.69 - I think!

Edited by Foxster

Hey hey he didn't say USEFULL science module :P just pulling your chain I never thought a tylo lander could be so small

I do have a new idea but I suspect it will not work as well as the aerospike. I have to get and figure out how to work hyperedit first :P

the full science is the MPL, the Science Junior for a rover, too difficult? The scoring sounds about right, I will add it a bit later.

- - - Updated - - -

Nukes don't work, not even with just liquid, they just can't generate enough thrust

Someones going to have to do a video, I can't even verify most of the entries because mechjeb can't even land them. My mechjeb also seems to get confused between retrograde and prograde when circularising.

Aside, I could get almost there with nukes, but without the magic sauce of their landing process it just wouldn't work for me.

Aside, I could get almost there with nukes, but without the magic sauce of their landing process it just wouldn't work for me.
Yea, its hard. I could either get a landing and not make orbit again or the other way around.

I did manage but had to break the rules. I put a Kerbal on a seat in a service bay and that lowered the mass just enough that I scraped in.

7CLlJIl.jpg

I tried one nuke and I tried 24. None of them made it so far. Taken a break from this but might try again.

So I notice no one uses lander legs? How much mass would you save on fuel if you could crash down at 30 m/s rather then having to set it down nicely?

Oh I see landing legs are broke as hell. How can landing legs have 12 m/s resistance and girders have 80 m/s?

Edited by Nich

Nukes don't work, not even with just liquid, they just can't generate enough thrust

I did it in 0.90 to test a concept for a Jool-5 attempt, and I think the same design would work here as neither Tylo nor the LV-N vacuum thrust changed in 1.x. Of course I did it from 30km not 80km, but then again I undocked and re-docked as well :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Oh yeah, manual landing too :P

So I notice no one uses lander legs? How much mass would you save on fuel if you could crash down at 30 m/s rather then having to set it down nicely?

Oh I see landing legs are broke as hell. How can landing legs have 12 m/s resistance and girders have 80 m/s?

Girders or Radial Intakes as landing legs, hell even the mk3 passenger module has 50m/s

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.