[WIP] Relentless (E.1) Heavy Tank

Presenting Jon144's Tank Factory 100% Stock Relentless Class Heavy Tank!

36 Tons and slightly over 500 parts!

qENRqMx.jpg

The relentless class heavy tank is the currently pinnacle of my tank design. It comes with many new unique features that makes it a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

fR17Zwf.jpg

The Relentless class tank comes with a custom designed high strength bearing that allows for a smooth 360 degree turret traverse yet can still take quite a punishment from hostile projectiles. Mounted on that bearing is an up-armored turret taken from the lynx main battle tank chassis and armed with 5 high velocity I-beam armor piercing rockets.

Not only is the Relentless armed to the teeth with it's standard armament; it features a one shot heavy machine gun mounted on the turret with it's own micro-bearing allowing it to slew separately from the turret of the tank. Although it is smaller and lighter than the main armament it is still capable of crippling damage.

None of this armament would be any use if the tank was as vulnerable as it's predecessor: the lynx. The relentless has exceptional frontal armor that can stop or even bounce a large portion of incoming projectiles. The sides and rear are by no means close in any way. However they do provide enough armor to stop lighter projectiles and hold the chassis of the tank together.

KPVRy4H.jpg

SZg42TZ.jpg

yLJyN4i.jpg

What are you waiting for? Download and try out the Work In Progress version of the tank right now!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jys3nyphpgpqry6/JTF%20-%20Relentless%20%28E_1%29.craft?dl=0

Download (With Spin Stabilized Rockets): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwkfoynb4trh723/JTF%20-%20Relentless%20%28E_1%29%20SS.craft?dl=0

Basic Directions:

I'm still developing the tank and I will keep updates posted here. Please give me feedback on any problems you find with the design. I'm doing my best to iron them out.

Most of the controls of the tank are intuitive. To slew the turret decouple it by staging the craft, control from one of the probe cores on top and use the A and D keys. After separating the turret the nav-ball when controlling the hull section will get pretty silly. Fix this by controlling from the probe cores at the rear of the tank.

To fire the weapons simply stage though the craft or press hotkeys 1-6. Do your best to align the nav-ball with the target and fire within 80-100 Meters. To use the heavy machine gun decouple the decoupler holding it to the turret and switch to it using the [ ] bracket keys. Control from it's probe core and slew it as you would the turret. Fire by pressing space when on target.

Make sure no discarded decouplers remain in front of the last two launch tubes. This will cause a major loss of accuracy from shots 4 and 5. This is only a major problem with the smooth-bore variant as the spin stabilized version comes with rockets that keep decouplers from getting stuck in the launch tubes.

Notice to TakeCommand users. For some reason crewing the tank before releasing the turret causes unpredictable turret-bearing behavior and might glitch after launch. To fix this timewarp or revert to the space center after decoupling the turret to reset the bearing in place.

Edited by Jon144

Nice! Can you fit kerbals in it?

Of course! there are seats inside for some crew. I can't believe nobody else has commented here :(

I put an entire week into polishing this thing out.

I like the tank! Is the front armor just stable because of many plates or is there a special trick?

It is really sturdy for several reasons. It comprises of many different types of armor. The front is layered structural panels. But then behind that many other different types of structural parts and open spaces. That means if the shot is not immediately bounced it will be stopped in one of the pockets behind the armor. Preventing it from going far enough to reach any squishy stuff.

Added a version with spin stabilized rockets and refined turret bearing mechanisms for better accuracy.

Edited by Jon144

This is Awesome! I love the Armour, it looks good and strong. I was experimenting with turrets today actually and the favorite one I made so far has a barring like minny one on the top.

Its might the most realistic working tank I've seen good work!:D

Planetfall

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.