WIP: Deltaglider XR-1

Redneck

I think it's just a couple of lines of code that can get your cargo unit to work with KAS/KIS. I'm not in front of it right now, but I'll take a look tonight.

For what it's worth, I'd try to keep cargo containers cylindrical so that they can mate up easier with fuel tanks and capsules. When the XR-2 is ready, I'm gonna use it as a workhorse for an orbital construction platform. Any kind of cargo shuttle will want to be dealing with cylinders. It's just cleaner that way.

I think it's just a couple of lines of code that can get your cargo unit to work with KAS/KIS. I'm not in front of it right now, but I'll take a look tonight.

Yeah, it's just a module you add to the .cfg.

When the XR-2 is ready, I'm gonna use it as a workhorse for an orbital construction platform.

The XR2 is more of a small satellite launcher and crew taxi. After all, it has, what, 12 passenger seats? Plus the small cargo bay.

On that subject, for balancing the XR2... I'd advocate enough fuel on board to make it to orbit, have some left over for on-orbit operations (600m/s dV tops), and enough fuel for ONE missed approach. Adding the cargo bay tanks would allow you to reach Minmus with enough to return home again, or Duna with enough to land.

Any kind of cargo shuttle will want to be dealing with cylinders. It's just cleaner that way.

The you'd want to use the XR5... After all, I once built an entire space station in a SINGLE FLIGHT with that monster...

Edited by MaverickSawyer

For what it's worth, I'd try to keep cargo containers cylindrical so that they can mate up easier with fuel tanks and capsules. When the XR-2 is ready, I'm gonna use it as a workhorse for an orbital construction platform. Any kind of cargo shuttle will want to be dealing with cylinders. It's just cleaner that way.

ok so if i understand it correctly all I need to do is make the Cargo Bay itself. KIS and KAS have thier own storage containers already. They just need a cargo bay to go in. I dont think I have to do anything to the bay to make it compatible with KAS and KIS just as long as the modules will fit inside correct? Thats my understanding of it anyways. One of them have a big cylindrical storage and the other has the smaller square ones if I aint mistaken

Ok so we want the ability to use both types of containers correct? I am kinda wondering because this cargo bay is pretty big. Im wondering if I should use a smaller deltaglider 3 type bay for the smaller containers. I am asking for your guys opinions on It. After tomarrow I have a 3 day weekend and I hope to release

Edited by Redneck

So I am at home now. looking at this picture you can see the large container (you have to look close) It takes up every bit of the cargo bay (height and width) that I have been working on. Is this large container overkill? Or do we want to keep the Big cargo bay for versatility because it can carry all the containers?

GuHKDhw.png?1

Edited by Redneck

KAS and KIS are all about part relocation and construction, essentially being able to unpack a box and manipulate the contents. That's good if that's what you want to do, but I figure you'll also have folks who will want to use the ship for launching satellites, probes and the occasional station module. As long as it can do both, I think you've got a good design there.

Also, I'm not asking for it, but, for what it's worth, NASA will never launch any kind of shuttle again without a decent manipulator arm (it's come in handy too many times). I know the XR series doesn't have them, just throwing the idea out there. There's a couple of mods for them already, though I never tried any of them.

Here is a plan "B" lets use the whole cargo bay and give it a airlock at the same time

hFTF56H.png?1

- - - Updated - - -

KAS and KIS are all about part relocation and construction, essentially being able to unpack a box and manipulate the contents. That's good if that's what you want to do, but I figure you'll also have folks who will want to use the ship for launching satellites, probes and the occasional station module. As long as it can do both, I think you've got a good design there.

Also, I'm not asking for it, but, for what it's worth, NASA will never launch any kind of shuttle again without a decent manipulator arm (it's come in handy too many times). I know the XR series doesn't have them, just throwing the idea out there. There's a couple of mods for them already, though I never tried any of them.

Im trying to give the deltaglider as much function as possible but at same time not getting to far away from the original idea. But I have always wondered why they gave the deltaglider a airlock door in the back of the cockpit but it never lead to anything like a cargo bay or something

Here is a plan "B" lets use the whole cargo bay and give it a airlock at the same time

http://i.imgur.com/hFTF56H.png?1

- - - Updated - - -

Im trying to give the deltaglider as much function as possible but at same time not getting to far away from the original idea. But I have always wondered why they gave the deltaglider a airlock door in the back of the cockpit but it never lead to anything like a cargo bay or something

Avionics bay, perhaps?

He kinda vanished a few years back, IIRC. Also, he did NOT make it available for export... the mesh is set up so that it turns to hash if you don't use a very convoluted series of steps to export it.

(P.S.: A lot of Orbinauts have yet to forgive Coolhand for stringing us along with the XR2 MkII project... then vanishing. It remains one of the biggest cases of vaporware in the Orbiter community to date...)

Yeah work has me working long hours. Got called out this past weekend. Only thing i need to do is finish the payload bay. Then ill release a test version for you guys. Ill be working on it tonight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.