KSP Creations - Non-decoupling bearing

Bubbadevlin Presents "Decouple No More!"

A single craft joint for stock ksp

This is a new type of bearing, mainly for stock tanks, to allow you to turn the turret of a tank around without having to have the turret as a separate craft. My version of the bearing is for planetary use only, and does not work in zero G. I have also designed it for size and low part count, with less stability in mind however, it is still very stable. To make it smaller i have clipped the spring into the center of the guidance and while some of you may reject the part clipping, ksp should have simpler bearings in the first place.

This bearing can be used for other purposes but because it cannot spin multiple rotations, i mainly use it for tanks, where it only needs to go 180 degrees to either side. It consists of two main components, the spring, and what i call guidance. The spring is a series of about 20 (lost count) very weak Structural Pylons arranged in a spiral pattern. This allows them to move without changing where the pivot point is. The guidance part is your normal wheel - and round center bearing set in place to stabilize the spring and bear the weight of whatever is on top of it.

There are however a few problems with this that i cannot thing to be able to fix, and that is what i ask others to help with. When time warping or swapping vehicles the center of this bearing will fall through the guidance and no longer function, while reloading the craft through the tracking station will fix it, it would be nice to have a permanent solution.

In my creation of this i learned some important things that i will share with anyone who cares to read this;

1) Parts of a same craft will phase through each other, however wheels and landing gear WILL NOT phase through other parts.

2) Often parts that seem round are not exactly round but multi sided polygons.

3) The LY-01 and LY-05 landing gear have no suspension at all and will not move, this can be useful and harmful to bearing designs.

4) Clipped parts may sometimes overheat within a fairing for no apparent reason in 1.0.4 even if you have the part clipping cheat on.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download; IT IS A SUB ASSEMBLY, NOT A CRAFT FILE

It was developed with my Blizzard 1 tank found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132393-The-Blizzard-1-Ksp-Stock-Tank

Edited by Bubbadevlin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.