A new beginning (for boats)

322997am

I have seen some videos on YouTube saying that boats are DEAD. I want contribution to creating a new generation of boats for 1.0+. I think that boats are not dead, the old methods are just useless but a new method could be found:cool:. One thing I noticed is that you need a lot more thrust to get a boat going.

also using girders as things that lower into the water seems to be better than control surfaces. I designed a boat using this concept with four turbojets getting it to 200 m/s.

I'm trying to remember, and it's totally slipping my mind. That's just the part that stuck out and caught my attention for some reason.

Sometimes I get new hype release "I HOPE VERSION X.X.X WILL BRING XXXX TO KSP!" confused with actually announced features in the dense soup of my memory, but I'm pretty sure I didn't with this one.

Uh... I don't know where your facts are coming from, because from what I've seen 1.0 makes boats better. The water seems to be more tolerant of parts moving through it than before, and several of the new parts make pretty useful boat pieces.

Then maybe it was the 1.0 feature list I was remembering.

I know I saw it somewhere for a new version.

-snip-

also using girders as things that lower into the water seems to be better than control surfaces. I designed a boat using this concept with four turbojets getting it to 200 m/s.

That's a tactic I used for my amphibious cirumnavigation rover. I used an extending cylinder from Infernal Robotics, and placed a few structural plates on the end. Extending the cylinder put the plates underwater, which lowered the center of gravity, and raised the rest of the rover out of the water. If done correctly, none of the parts would be checking for water collision (as the extended part of the cylinder has no "hit-box"... or at least not when I did it.)

That's a tactic I used for my amphibious cirumnavigation rover. I used an extending cylinder from Infernal Robotics, and placed a few structural plates on the end. Extending the cylinder put the plates underwater, which lowered the center of gravity, and raised the rest of the rover out of the water. If done correctly, none of the parts would be checking for water collision (as the extended part of the cylinder has no "hit-box"... or at least not when I did it.)

That makes me think, "I should really make a boat with a big keel..."

but one thing is that structural intakes were reduced to 8 m/s tolerance killing off some designs, mainly seaplanes.

I used them in all my maritime designs. Putting those big scoop intakes everywhere looks silly to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.