Things I'd Like To Do in KSP...

MaxwellsDemon

...once I get around to it, figure it out, get to that tech level, have enough time in my day...

• Boats. I'm aware of the Maritime Pack, etc., but haven't had the time to get my feet wet yet.
  • Spaceplanes. I've spent most of my (limited) time so far in the VAB; my SPH is sadly neglected.
  • Orbital construction. Done a bit of it; need to do more of it. I'm just getting to the point where I have an idea of what I'm doing.
  • Interplanetary transfers. I've established that I can do flybys; I need to get to the next level, with orbital captures and landings. Again, I understand what's needed, but I need to spend some development time.

The Kerbal world is so wide open that it's difficult if not impossible to do everything... that's part of its charm. :) The classic high-tech sandbox...

The thing I most want to do right now is build a working [stock] helicopter swashplate so I can finally fly a helicopter with finesse (by KSP standards...). Imagine the joy of not needing all those torque wheels to just get it up [in the air].

/pipe dreams

One day I'd like to go to Space again...

For me I've always wanted to do either a Jool 5 kind of mission or a grand tour with some kind of SSTO that can refuel after every landing and keep going. I just can never figure out the right design that can work. One thing for sure is I love trying to make a space plane version but that is the most difficult IMO.

For me I've always wanted to do either a Jool 5 kind of mission or a grand tour with some kind of SSTO that can refuel after every landing and keep going. I just can never figure out the right design that can work. One thing for sure is I love trying to make a space plane version but that is the most difficult IMO.

The best way to make a spaceplane that can land on other planets is, in my opinion, make it a vertical lander, like this.

qjLSngh.png

This is just some VTO rocket I have an image of laying around.

pH6XGBZ.png

This one doesn't even have legs! It just lands on the wings.

If I want to land on another planet, or even most of the time on Kerbal, if it has an atmosphere, I build it like this. Build it so it can fly like a plane, but lands on legs instead of wheels. I do it for these reasons:

1. Finding a nice flat place to land on is hard. Tail landers can land in a lot more places, and more safely.

2. You can use parachutes to land, which saves a lot of fuel. Remember to bring an engineer if you want to use it more than once, so he can repack the chutes.

3. If you want to land on a non-atmosphere planet, it's easier. The wings will do you no good whatsoever whether you land vertically or horizontally, but it's a lot easier to land vertically with no aero effects than horizontally.

4. When you come back to Kerbin, you don't have to try to land at the runway. Just land wherever. As long as its not mountains, you'll be fine.

Edited by RocketBlam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.