Kryten

Boeing's Starliner (thread renamed)

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Nightside said:

What’s the weird little alien bird to the :prograde:?

Right at the top? That's the International Docking Adaptor on the ISS.

There will also be patches for the Abort Test and the First Crewed Mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

test in under 10 minutes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holding, but they have a 3 hour window.

 

7 minutes new time is 15 past the hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canopus said:

oh that red smoke doesn‘t look to healthy.

Not to be around, but that's supposed to to crash in ocean in an abort.

Video quality sorta sucked compared to to the SpaceX abort.

More concerning is that only 2 chutes deployed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that we rightly mocked the bad camera views in one of they Cygnus livestreams, but i think that Boeing just took that award. 

Here comes abort engine cutoff -- Nope

That pitch up manoeuvre looks cool -- Nope

This is a really interesting parachute system --- Nope

Well, at least we get to see the service module crash -- Nope

Also, i do believe that they had a parachute failure on one of the mains, I thought that there were meant to be three mains?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

I know that we rightly mocked the bad camera views in one of they Cygnus livestreams, but i think that Boeing just took that award. 

Here comes abort engine cutoff -- Nope

That pitch up manoeuvre looks cool -- Nope

This is a really interesting parachute system --- Nope

Well, at least we get to see the service module crash -- Nope

To be fair, they were only asked to livestream this a few days ago by Bridenstine---but the images were the WSMR tracking gear, and it did a lousy job, frankly.

 

2 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Also, i do believe that they had a parachute failure on one of the mains, I thought that there were meant to be three mains?

Yes, supposed to have 3 chutes. Wonder of they have to do 10+ drops in a row with the system to revalidate it (as SpaceX just did).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched it. Cloud of toxic smoke looks lovely. I forgot the Bantam engines (originally designed for LOX+alcohol) had been retrofit for hypergols.

2 out of 3 parachutes is not great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... pad abort test is successful, proving that the abort system works, but they might have to do a few more parachute tests...

 

This means *another* delay, doesn't it?

 

Like, even if neither team has launched their crewed mission yet, you would think we would at least have a clear leader (in terms of who's going first) and a remote idea of launch times by now. I mean, they've had years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... according to Boeing, it wasn't a parachute failure because the parachute never deployed in the first place in order to fail...

 

???

 

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

So... according to Boeing, it wasn't a parachute failure because the parachute never deployed in the first place in order to fail...

It's a parachute system failure, but not a parachute failure. Parachute failure would be a tangle, reefing issue, etc.

 

Also:

 

Edited by tater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok a couple of things.

 

1 I think the system was rated to safely land with 2 but if that behavior was not intended then yes.

2 The actual launch pad is actually on land. Not in the water. NASA KNOWS THIS. The reality is that NASA the Air Force , and the US Coast Guard actually has launch failure scenarios and drills through the year that include a launch abort dropping what’s left of a rocket inside Kenedy/Canaveral and or city’s/community’s around and in Brevard County. Because to them, Worst case scenario is that a rocket looses guidance control and flys over and into Titusville with range safety somehow disabled. They do not assume that because the launch is intended to cross over land and over water shortly after launch means worse case scenario the rocket always automagically lands in the ocean and everything will be hunky-dory. 

Ok why is automagically a word in autocorrect? I’m not changing it, because it fits better than Automatically In that sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:
So... according to Boeing, it wasn't a parachute failure because the parachute never deployed in the first place in order to fail...

"It's actually better that the parachute didn't deploy because then it would have, uh, well......."

I mean, in a sense they're right. A parachute failure (improper reefing, collapse, separation, etc.) is more likely to speak to a fundamental design problem with the parachutes themselves, while a deployment failure is more likely to be a component fault. We'd rather find the component fault now than later.

28 minutes ago, Drakenred65@Gmail.com said:

The actual launch pad is actually on land. Not in the water. NASA KNOWS THIS. The reality is that NASA the Air Force , and the US Coast Guard actually has launch failure scenarios and drills through the year that include a launch abort dropping what’s left of a rocket inside Kenedy/Canaveral and or city’s/community’s around and in Brevard County. Because to them, Worst case scenario is that a rocket looses guidance control and flys over and into Titusville with range safety somehow disabled. They do not assume that because the launch is intended to cross over land and over water shortly after launch means worse case scenario the rocket always automagically lands in the ocean and everything will be hunky-dory. 

All good reasons why having a functional abort system can only reduce LOCV risk, not eliminate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the Pad Abort Test of Boeing's Starliner a few hours ago and could not help but think of my old career startup test in KSP when I had the demo a while ago and finding out you could jettison the heat shield on the way down. LOL, I thought I was looking at my craft in this picture from today's actual Starliner test with a clip I copied from youtube.

PadAbortTestofBoeing.jpg

It was cool to see it, it really reminded me of us, (well most of us at the beginning of KSP, hehe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

I saw the Pad Abort Test of Boeing's Starliner a few hours ago and could not help but think of my old career startup test in KSP when I had the demo a while ago and finding out you could jettison the heat shield on the way down. LOL, I thought I was looking at my craft in this picture from today's actual Starliner test with a clip I copied from youtube.

Spoiler

PadAbortTestofBoeing.jpg

It was cool to see it, it really reminded me of us, (well most of us at the beginning of KSP, hehe).

I was surprised to see that they popped the chutes before dropping the service module. Also interesting that they launch without the skirt. I knew the skirt was there primarily for aerodynamic stability w/r/t the Centaur, but I had assumed it would come off with the vehicle on abort to aid in aerodynamic stability. CoM must be awfully close to CoP (compared to Dragon 2, where CoM is far ahead of CoP).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the look of things it’s a successful failure.

It failed to deploy all chutes, which is bad and will mKe them take at least another look.

it Succeed in landing safety given it was an emergency abort.

it that had been an actual abort, getting the crew back alive is always good enough.

 

Since that was a test. Not good enough.

Edited by Drakenred65@Gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.