Airwolf Jet Helicopter

My tribute to Airwolf.

This is not a perfect rendition of the absolute look of Airwolf from the show of the same name. I’ve seen at least one other that

. But that one was over 150 parts!

My goal was to make an Airwolf inspired Helicopter with a reasonable part count that doesn’t kill your framerate that approximates the look and functions of the original that still looks really good.

And to answer the obvious question - No, she can't go Mach 1. But she can do about Mach 0.5 or maybe just a touch more in a dive! Which for a helicopter is FANTASTIC. And she can also fly with absolutely no complaints at x4 Physics warp, so if you want to fly long distance, but want to shorten the real world wait, you can put it on auto-pilot/MechJeb assist and ramp the Time warp up to max with no problems.

I’m really quite pleased with the way the Lady performs. She’s nimble, packs a punch, and can fly a LONG time at fast speeds.

Hope you like her as much as I do!

IMPORTANT NOTES: I recommend HIGHLY using MechJeb and TAC Fuel Balancer mods with this craft. Neither one is critical, but both will make your life FAR less complicated when flying this chopper. Particularly for long-haul flights. (I use a modification to MechJeb that adds it to all cockpit modules by default, so the download at Kerbal X (see below) doesn't have the MechJeb part included.)

Also - I haven't tested her in a BD Armory AI dogfight (yet) but if you decide to give that a try, I recommend replacing the Hellfire missiles with Air-to-Air missiles such as Sidewinders or AMRAAMs and replace the FLIR nose-cam with an internally mounted radome clipped just behind the cockpit against the bulkhead with a small stock girder segment so she'll be able to have native radar capability or add a radar data receiver. You might also consider upping the amount of countermeasure dispensers.

Cue the

! :D

sUgMOqu.png

5z2GyQP.png

RvdaKud.png

FFSA1QF.png

m3RG6Lo.png

oZgHCKJ.png

TyNs3MP.png

Full Image Album here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download at Kerbal X

The antennas I used cause lots of lag. Having just 10 will drop yor FPS by a decent chunk. Now imagine what's it like when there are 100 of those on a single craft..

I'm not sure I'm seeing where all those antennas are. Is it the black panels on the nose and upper sides? I assume that's Kerb Paint in use?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.