How improve my kerbal skills

i know that thanks orbital mission our kerbal get 1st skill star, i put bob to improve his science skill, with was not easy because his is scientist not a pilot, the same goes for Bill but he is engineer.

I wonder how got more skills, i know that thanks to science skills we can have increase science point output.

What the previous posters said.

Planting flags on Mun/Minmus will get you to level 2.

Getting to level 3 requires going outside of Kerbin's SoI. However, if you've planted flags on Mun/Minmus, then simply "peeking" out (i.e. take a ride just outside Kerbin's SoI, then go right back home) will get you to 3. That can be handy if, for example, you want to get your kerbals up to level 3 before sending them on a long mission to other planets.

A lot depends on which part of the tech tree you've unlocked. Once you have nukes, you can use nukes to design landers that will land on Minmus (and on the Mun as well, but that takes a bit more practice).

With such a ship designed (and hopefully one that can land back at Kerbin for recovery), you pack your low xp kerbals and take them in a training trip (would it be like a graduation trip for kerbals fresh from Kerbonaut Academy?): reach LKO, land at the Mun, take off, land at Minmus, peek just outside Kerbin' SOI, return to Kerbin.

You can pick rescue contracts along the way as well. And while nukes allow you to make a ship with enough delta-v to do all this (returning from outside Kerbin SOI will eat quite a bit of fuel), it doesn't hurt to land by an ore refinery to refuel at one of your stops. You can combine this with tourists, stations and bases contracts to turn in a profit.

Once you're done, your starting kerbals will be at level 3. As for any rescued kerbal, it depends on the stage of the journey you've picked them up.

Also, once you nearly completed the tech tree, you will have unlocked the MK3 to 3.75 m adapter. Since it has a 50 m/s crash tolerance, you can use it as landing legs.

People have explained WHERE to get XP to make more-skilled kerbals. They have not explained how to make it easier to get non-pilots there.

Research your science down the bottom path; before too long you will get probe cores. Ignore the first one, the Stayputnik; it's pretty much useless for your purposes. You want the 2nd probe core in that path, the Okto. That probe core has the ability to use SAS to keep your rocket's nose pointed in a specific direction, exactly the way a beginning pilot can. Put one of those on the top of your rocket, above the command pod, and you can fly a rocket with Bill or Bob exactly the same way as with Jeb.

Also, when you get the Hitchhiker module, you can put up to 4 passengers in that. It cannot control a rocket, so you also need either an Okto-or-better probe core, or a command pod with a pilot. (Also, if you have batteries, solar panels, and a docking port on it, a Hitchhiker-plus-command-pod meets the game's definition of a "space station", and contracts will pay you piles of money to launch it.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.