Sign in to follow this  
iammr_schuck

Unexplained spin while in orbit

Question

Hi guys

I'm trying to my first decent Mun landing, wherein there's a separate lander, which will return to a ship left in munar orbit then head home. This requires docking which I'm still familiarising myself with. However, I'm encountering an issue which I have trouble explaining. I've built a simple demonstrator craft which has a command pod and a lander can, both with docking ports. I get it into LKO, decouple, so that I can then spin the lander can around and try to dock it. The moment I decouple, the command pod starts spinning (no pitch or yaw it would seem, just spin) like crazy, with or without SAS on. Any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

Phantom forces like this are sometimes caused by clipping parts. Are you separating a docking ring, i.e. undocking the lander, or are u using a decoupler?

Try pressing Alt+x (might be different on Linux) to reset trim. You might have accidentally set the trim on your ship to constantly roll.

i have this issue sometimes when i EVA a kerbonaut that is on contract to be rescued. I think it might be a specific bug than kraken.

Should probably also ask the obvious question. Do both parts of the craft have control, either a pilot or a probe core, because SAS won't work without one or the other so you need either 2 pilots, 2 probe cores or a pilot and a probe core.

Usually it's some kind of clipping. What also happend to me a lot was that I'd left my Joystick plugged in, which is slightly faulty and the control output is not centered, even if the physical stick is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.