[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Okay, this is pissing me off. For what ever reason the new MechJeb version has the tab on like the upper right side of the screen, rather than the absolute middle right side of the screen like older versions. Can anyone tell me how to fix this nuisance? I want the damn tab in the middle of the right edge of the screen, in its current position it's obscuring the info and kerbal info buttons as well as gets in the way of my resources tab when it's open. This hopefully is just a bug because it'd be a stupid and annoying change otherwise. So yes, can anyone tell me how to change this if possible? Maybe go into the config file and change its screen position maybe?

It isn't a bug it was moved to accommodate the new buttons squad added to map view. Most people have been asking for then to give us the ability to move the tab where we want, but as far as I know they still haven't answered the request with a yes no or maybe

I've experienced this bug too. Does your fps drop when this happens as well? It does for me. Sometimes I am feeling too lazy to rendezvous :P

Is there a workaround for this? I too experience this quite often during rendezvous

thanks. TB

It isn't a bug it was moved to accommodate the new buttons squad added to map view. Most people have been asking for then to give us the ability to move the tab where we want, but as far as I know they still haven't answered the request with a yes no or maybe

It wasn't moved to accommodate the new buttons, it's right on top of them! The exact opposite!

It wasn't moved to accommodate the new buttons, it's right on top of them! The exact opposite!

For real. The old centered location would have been fine. The new location is the one that conflicts with the buttons.

The MechJeb2 tab is actually above the new buttons. If you move it below the buttons, then there's no room for the MechJeb2 menu items once you open the tab.

However, there is a gap between the top of the new buttons and the MechJeb2 tab. It could be moved down some at least.

No, I know for a fact, looking at my screen, that the MechJeb2 button is right smack dab on top of the new buttons. Why couldn't the tab remain in the middle like it used to be? It was perfect there and indeed it'd still be perfect there after 0.20. It's almost as if this release was intended to annoyingly overlap the new buttons specifically.

No, I know for a fact, looking at my screen, that the MechJeb2 button is right smack dab on top of the new buttons. Why couldn't the tab remain in the middle like it used to be? It was perfect there and indeed it'd still be perfect there after 0.20. It's almost as if this release was intended to annoyingly overlap the new buttons specifically.

The MechJeb2 tab doesn't overlay the new buttons on my map screen. Could it be a function of the selected resolution? I'm running at 1440x900, windowed.

I do, just updated it to double check earlier today. I'm running at 1920x1080

Probably a combination of screen resolution and UI size. I have the same problem with some of the mod buttons being on top of UI elements.

Is there a way to prevent smart a.s.s. from using rcs when rcs is on? I'd like mechjeb to maintain the target PAR- attitude without spraying monoprop all over the place and translate manually with rcs.

Is there a way to prevent smart a.s.s. from using rcs when rcs is on? I'd like mechjeb to maintain the target PAR- attitude without spraying monoprop all over the place and translate manually with rcs.

Might be able to turn on selective RCS thrusters using action keys. Perhaps creative use of linear RCS thrusters even. I have been wanting to experiment with this myself, but have been distracted on other things... :rolleyes:

Ideally, I'd like to see MechJeb make use of the rocket engines and torque as priorities before using RCS at all. I mean, it does this already with the Rendevous Autopilot and other maneuvers. Sadly, for now, it only makes use of RCS in Smart A.S.S. and Auto-Docking.

On the subject of ascent profiles, someone brought up how they disliked the idea of dumping their first stages back on KSC and began their turn at approximately 1 km. This intrigued me, because I had the same gnawing concern. Yeah, I know it doesn't matter, but humour me. So I started spitballing the numbers and came up with a fairly effective general ascent profile.

Turn start altitude: 1.5 km

Turn end altitude: 75% of the target altitude

Final flight path angle: whatever is your heart's desire

Turn shape: 66%

Also, set it to limit to terminal velocity. No sense being a damned fool and expending more thrust than necessary.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Will there be a rover autopilot feature that lets you set a destination on a body that you have landed on, and then it drive you there?

Similar to the autopilot planned for the LEV (the next-gen crewed module for lunar landing)

Dear developers or geeks: I'd like some info to write an optimal ascent calculator, and I'd like to know a few things on how Mechjeb works.

How are gravity, steering and drag losses calculated?

What is the formula for the shape of the gravity turn curve, which depends on start, end altitude, angle and that percentage number?

How does mechjeb regulate thrust for optimal ascent? Does it equal the rates of drag losses and gravity losses? Does it do the same during gravity turn or just vertical ascent?

Thanks!

Another complain here (naah thanks for the amazing work!): In version 2.0.8 with the ascent autopilot I can't find the way to regulate thrust manually. In the older version I was able (by unchecking auto throttle) to control throttle myself while mechjeb did only the steering. Where is it?

In 2.0.8 the option "limit to terminal velocity" is the same as "auto throttle"? But even if unchecked the throttle can't be changed manually. What does it do then? And what does mechjeb do if it's unchecked? just maximum throttle?

Thanks!

Here's a workaround for you. The assent target marker is done by creating a phantom target in front of your pod, and altering the angle between the horizon, your pod, and itself to match the proper assent angle per altitude. That's why you can't have both that and a target designated. To use the auto-assent profile but retain most control over your launch, show assent helper (or is it manager, or something else?) use TGT+ in smart ASS to point at it, and handle everything else yourself. I haven't tried it myself, but it should work, feel free to tell me otherwise.

The MechJeb2 tab is actually above the new buttons. If you move it below the buttons, then there's no room for the MechJeb2 menu items once you open the tab.

However, there is a gap between the top of the new buttons and the MechJeb2 tab. It could be moved down some at least.

If by "above" you mean "directly on top of and blocking", then sure.

Edited by RoboRay