Locating memory leak

Hi,

I am running some mods n my KSP install and am getting a memory leak issue. KSP reserves an evergrowing "private memory" portion that runs up to around 3GB before the program crashes (about an hours worth of play).

Is there any way to see what is causing the leak, i.e. which mod? There is no crash log created that I can find in the KSP directory.

I've found that stock does this too. Most of the memory buildup happens when you change scenes(VAB => flight => space centre => VAB etc.) Without mods there is just a bigger overhead. However, mods do seem to make memory slightly more unstable. You can pinpoint which mods cause it the most by removing them. playing around a bit(doing a lot of scene changes) until the leak stops happening. The last mod you removed might be the problem. However it's probably a combination of a big bunch of plugins and such together.

I've recently tried playing KSP on Linux and it seems a LOT more stable. Much smaller memory leak and it seems as if Linux handles all the garbage quite well. game loads in at 2.8GB but barely ever goes above 3.3GB(it reaches this the moment I'm in the Space Centre and remains at 3.1GB for a while, even through scene changes). On Windows my game loaded in at 2GB, Space Centre at 2.5GB and then within 10 scene changes it crashed out of memory.

OK, did some searching and came to a topic here about installing Unity 4.6.4 and replacing the KSP.exe and logo.dll files with 64-bit versions. It seems to work better now, less lag as well. The 64-bit version does not have the 4GB memory limit and my program is taking up about 5.2GB now. Fingers crossed it keeps working.

Has anyone tried restarting the game after a couple scene changes to see if it resets the memory usage? What I mean is, after a couple of scene changes (from VAB to space center to flight etc), quitting the game, returning to the game load screen, then restarting the session, does the memory in use decrease (get released)?

it doesn't. Just jumps up even further when you load into the a new Space Centre scene from the menu. I have noticed the memory usage going down quite considerably if you spend a lot of time in one scene9such as building for an hour or longer or flying in space for extensive time).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.