Idea for advanced communication system for KSP using real radio software

So lately I haven't been able to get this idea for a mod out of my head. I would play the hell out of it. I've spent all morning testing some ideas with the real software.

After reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir, I had a few ideas that could take communications a little further than what we have with Stock KSP and RemoteTech Mod.

I'd like to utilize software like FLDigi, SoundModem by UZ7H0, Virtual Audio Cables and something like Icecast to be able to actually communicate with Mission Control and players, send mission SITREPS, and even files.

I've used all of this software before as I have an Amatuer Radio license. The software really works and works well. I'll just need to integrate that with KSP. I'm an amateur coder but I think I can pull it off.

Imagine circling Kerbin for the first time in orbit and sending SITREPs back to mission control. Fill out your SITREP in an easy form. Click SEND and assuming you have Line Of Sight, off goes your REAL SITREP report over the radio and will hopefully be received by Mission Control. Getting credit for your SCIENCE once its been successfully received.

Also, imagine your on another planet and you need more supplies or to send a message back to Kerbin. Whatever the message might be. Say your sitting in your rover. You open up your on-board terminal and type up the outgoing message. Its passed up your link back to your orbiting relay station and back home hopefully with a real delay like what is included in RemoteTechs implementation.

Multiplayer mods would be awesome too. Talk to other player sort of like how TeamSpeak works.

You could have Kerbin Channels, Duna Channels, Surface Channels, or a channel back Mission Control. The idea is that everyone on channel hears everyone else.

Some gotchas so far is I need something like Icecast that supports anyone joining a channel at will and MUXing all of the audio. Anyone can send and all receive the audio over the channel. Ideally this same software can include some radio background noise like white noise, clicks and pops.

So if you can send any audio over this shared audio channel, you could talk or use digital soft modems like FLDigi and other software like it.

I'm a nerd so I'd love to hear the real radio communications weather its voice or digital but being able to mute squelch the annoying static is a must still.

Taking the idea a little further. Why not use GPG for encrypted messages between users for the fun of it ? Or send SSTV images ? Emails between users ?

The thought of being able to pass REAL traffic gets me all excited.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Check out these links for some demos of some of the software.

Listen to real HF radio through your browser. Its pretty cool. http://websdr.org/

FLDIGI

fldigi_RUN.png

FLMSG

FLmsg%20example.png

FLDigi Review:

APRS Communications over ISS using UZ7HO:

This would be cool to have but:

* Its to complicated for someone who doesn't know what any of the above means

* Its to complicated for someone who knows what the above means.

* Does not add anything, just makes things more challenging.

* Adds a new level of realism to KSP (which it seems that every other KSP player does not *really* want)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.