Updating and Steam

I purchased KSP through steam. I however don't play from the steam KSP folder. Instead after downloading KSP I then copy from the steam location to another folder on my hdd and play form there. That way I don't have to worry about steam updating my game when I don't want it yet. I am also able that way to have an original KSP folder, a modded folder and a non-modded install of KSP.

My question is this: How do I apply a small update in my situation (build 1025 to 1028 as it is today)? Do I have to copy all the contents of the Steam KSP folder over to my other folders or is there a way to only copy over a certain file. I noticed the update from 1.0.4 was 345mg so that was a complete copy and create new 1.0.5 folders. However I noticed the update today was only 2.2mg so it's obvious very little changed.

Steam uses a very good system, as it downloads only the files changed from one to another release.

It is certainly possible to know, comparing files, what is different from the original (steam synced) KSP install, against any folder you copied elsewhere (one tool allowing to compare files across whole folders is WinMerge, but others certainly exist). Comparing tools should also allow to automatically update all newer files, at least in one direction (e.g. from the steam synced to other folder) and effectively would only copy those files, as you desire.

However, KSP installs aren't that large to really require file diff techniques, IMHO copying the whole content of the synced steam folder remains the easiest option.

Thanks for the reply. I take it this means that Squad may release a complete download but it is steam that determines only 2.2mg is all that needs downloaded?

I will give WinMerge a try to see what changes. I agree the total folder size is not a huge issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.