Shuttle yaw issues

I have finally made a shuttle that I consider worthy of my expectations with one exception. when I yaw instead it roles.

It got to the point i just disabled the tails yaw ability.

I ll leave the craft file here but keep in mind it is still not perfect but much better than what I have done in the past and much easier to fly than most other peoples shuttle designs.

feel free to test it and let me know what I can do to fix this issue/make it better.

has action groups

has some clipping so check its insides to see everything

http://www./download/h946bwefvz50n44/Space_Shuttle_%28Lift_Stage%29.craft

image for show

t487i1F.png

Disable yaw on the ailerons, and disable roll on the vertical stabilizer.

You're always going to get some roll when you yaw, there's no way around that-- the only yawable surface you have is that vertical stabilizer, and it will cause roll whether it wants to or not every time it actuates. You can (slightly) reduce its roll effect by giving it less of a lever arm to work with: use the "translate" widget to move it in the ventral direction by a bit.

Disable yaw on the ailerons, and disable roll on the vertical stabilizer.

You're always going to get some roll when you yaw, there's no way around that-- the only yawable surface you have is that vertical stabilizer, and it will cause roll whether it wants to or not every time it actuates. You can (slightly) reduce its roll effect by giving it less of a lever arm to work with: use the "translate" widget to move it in the ventral direction by a bit.

Have you disabled yaw on the ailerons?

Done and done yet it gets more role than yaw. Like i ll move one degree in a yaw while at the same time I barrel role

Done and done yet it gets more role than yaw. Like i ll move one degree in a yaw while at the same time I barrel role

Here's the problem:

Look at the lever arm of that gargantuan tail fin, and then look at the lever arm of those ailerons. The tail fin is sticking way the heck up high, very far from the central axis of the ship, which gives it a big lever arm to work with. It's going to induce a lot of roll. The ailerons, on the other hand, are pretty close to the ship axis, so they have short lever arms and are therefore not able to do much to fight against that monster tail.

Things that would help with this:

• Get a smaller vertical stabilizer. Not sure how much you actually need for a ship that size.
  • Make the fin not stick out so much (i.e. move it ventrally, towards the ship's axis).
  • Move the ailerons on the wings farther out from the center of the ship, so they have a bigger lever arm for fighting against the roll induced by the vertical stabilizer.

Here's the problem:

Look at the lever arm of that gargantuan tail fin, and then look at the lever arm of those ailerons. The tail fin is sticking way the heck up high, very far from the central axis of the ship, which gives it a big lever arm to work with. It's going to induce a lot of roll. The ailerons, on the other hand, are pretty close to the ship axis, so they have short lever arms and are therefore not able to do much to fight against that monster tail.

Things that would help with this:

• Get a smaller vertical stabilizer. Not sure how much you actually need for a ship that size.
  • Make the fin not stick out so much (i.e. move it ventrally, towards the ship's axis).
  • Move the ailerons on the wings farther out from the center of the ship, so they have a bigger lever arm for fighting against the roll induced by the vertical stabilizer.

I ll give that a try when I can

thanks

If you want to maintain that appearance while following Snark's advice, just attach a small control surface (eg; Elevon 4) on the back of it, near the fuselage. You can use this to provide all the yaw and disable the tail fin completely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.